placenta accreta and high AFP

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

placenta accreta and high AFP

Postby fnaz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 05:35 pm

does anyone knows link between placeta accreta and preeclampsia. Can placenta accreta cause PE? Is there any relationship between placenta accreta and high Quad markers?
fnaz

Re : placenta accreta and high AFP

Postby fiona » Fri Apr 21, 2006 09:19 pm

Now, the only thing I could find was a study that set out to prove that placenta accreta (where the placenta attaches too deeply) is mutually exclusive from pe because in pe the placenta is often not attached deeply enough. However, their findings did not rule out the possibility of having both conditions. I haven't turned up anything relevant on the Quad screen.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9859860&dopt=Abstract
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Apr 22, 2006 00:46 am

Here's a quad screen study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16055573&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

It says, "There was a relatively low, but often significant, risk of having an adverse pregnancy complication if a patient had a single abnormal marker. However, the risk of having an adverse outcome increased significantly if a patient had 2 or more abnormal markers."

So yes, that study found a link between elevated markers and pregnancy complications, presumably including both PE and accreta.

It seems to me that accreta and PE are both defects in the process of placental invasion, but that no one's quite sure yet how things go wrong in either case.

The study Fiona has linked to says this: "Neither hypertension in pregnancy nor pre-eclampsia were mutually exclusive of placenta accreta: hypertensive disorders of pregnancy and placenta accreta occurred independently of each other."

So that looks like it says that they can both happen at once, but they're not likely to be causally related -- accreta probably doesn't cause PE, but can accompany it.

That said, there aren't a lot of studies on this issue -- I would imagine that it is extremely rare to see both complications simultaneously!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby robertsmom » Thu Sep 23, 2010 03:24 pm

Beth077 thank you for directing me to this ...

we were chatting on another message board and I had preE at 28w5d and was told on a post partum check up I had placenta accreta.. I was wondering if they were related... I never did the quad screening so I am unsure if anything would have came up... but this is very intersting to me.

I guess I am one of those extreamly rare cases... Good Info though!!!
robertsmom

Postby patty » Thu Sep 23, 2010 04:11 pm

A friend of my sister who had twins had both. She had pre-e and was put in the hospital on bedrest for a few weeks and then delivered at 33 weeks because of the pre-e and ended up with a hysterectomy during her section because of placenta accreta. She may just have been a rare case too though I have never heard of a link between the two.
patty

Return to Ask the Experienced