What happens biologically during Pre-E

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : What happens biologically during Pre-E

Postby chippery » Tue May 19, 2009 04:47 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Caryn.

They've labeled me as High Risk from the start pretty much. I only see the Doctors anyways as we are already planning a second c-section. (Since the last one was just 10 months ago.)

They just started doing the Fetal Imaging today, and I'll be doing those every two weeks. The baby was at the 62% today - so on track so far. BP jumped to 150/92 this last week or so, and they've doubled my BP medication. They've told me to expect bed rest around my 30 week mark again. Everything is repeating the first pregnancy, down to the WEEK.
chippery

Postby sckitzo » Wed May 20, 2009 11:42 am

Can anyone tell me if Hyeremsis (rare condition in pregnancy that causes extreme Morning (all day) sickness, weight loss) and PE have any connection. I had Hyperemsis in both prenancies and Severe PE, in both pregnancies. This caused extreme stress on my body in the first trimester, and was wondering if it could have had any effect on the plecenta, or implantation. I have not had any miscarriages, or bleeding, I have been tested for everything under the sun, and have no blood clotting, Autoimune issues. I have no diabiates (gestational or otherwise), or BP issues. Besides history of PE (me only not in the family) I do not have any pe risk factors. Just wondering if there has been any research linking Hyperemsis with PE?
sckitzo

Postby caryn » Sun May 31, 2009 09:04 pm

Katie, did they double your meds today, or is that from your last post on the 19th?

Amber, Laura looked into this a while ago, and I'll go look to see if there's any more data. It's my understanding that hyperemesis is probably a runaway immune response as well.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby dbronson » Sun May 31, 2009 09:49 pm

Wow! I feel so smart now. You ladies rock.
dbronson

Postby chippery » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:48 pm

Caryn, I completely didn't see your question. Sorry for the late response. The dose I'm on now is Labetalol(sp?) 300mg/3xdaily. The pressures swing so much that we don't want to raise the dose, or it could hit too low. It is creeping at a steady pace, however it's more the bottom number that's creeping than the top. Right now I'm averaging 130/90 on the meds, so I can't complain.

I do have a question for ya'll though. I'm not getting the trademark pounding headaches that I was getting earlier in the pregnancy. But I have been getting the head pressure, behind the eyes, back to the upper ears for many weeks. I've never seen flashes of light or the other things that are mentioned on here. However over the last couple of days, I'm getting a "jumpy" feeling in my eyes - kind of like if you are looking at too many things for too long that your eyes get overworked. It doesn't hurt, but I noticed it during driving yesterday for sure. Would you wait to talk to the doctor on Monday about it, or give the on-call dr. a ring? (Or could this just be normal pregnancy,which I try not to assume w/ PE)

chippery

Postby caryn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 08:01 pm

That sounds like a form of hyperreflexia to me, but I don't know.

When I had it I felt both extremely jittery, and, for lack of a better term, hypercompetent -- which might be why pregnant women with PE sometimes say that they feel "great, really energetic!" -- but I don't remember that feeling in my eyes per se.

As always, I vote for at least calling in and asking for them to check you out, since whacking you on the knee to check your reflexes is cheap and easy and a lot less of a problem than seizing over the weekend...
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby atvlady » Fri Jul 24, 2009 08:01 pm

Can we make this post a sticky? I LOVE it and has helped my husband and I a TON!
atvlady

Postby meekness » Mon Jul 27, 2009 03:11 pm

This thread is so helpful. I'm going to share it with my family, so they will understand exactly what I am facing here today.

THANK YOU!!
meekness

Postby shadow2356 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 05:18 pm

This is great, thanks!
shadow2356

Postby kvknsiva » Tue Aug 04, 2009 04:04 pm

Is there any test available to tell the pre-re going start late in the pregnancy?
kvknsiva

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Experienced