new to the forum...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
heather j
Forum Moderator

Re : new to the forum...

Postby heather j » Wed Jun 21, 2006 03:54 pm

Holli,

I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow. My blood pressure did the exact same thing. The up and down is what makes it so frustrating because it seems one minute you're doing well and the next, it looks awful again. Having people who you're supposed to rely on during all of this giving your conflicting information doesn't help either; this, too, I learned from experience. When I was pregnant with my son I was being rotated between 5 doctors and a NP, all with consistently differing opinions. After my baby was born and I went back for my 6 week, I found a new practice with two doctors. So far so good. Some people like larger groups, but I wasn't one of those people. You're so close now. I know it doesn't feel like it or seem like it, and I completely understand that you feel the little one would be better outside than in. I felt the same way. Hang in there!!!

holliadrienne

Postby holliadrienne » Wed Jun 21, 2006 09:58 am

I did go back to my dr on monday, who sent me to L&D as my bp was 152/96. My protein in the office was +1. However, my swelling is down...anyway they hooked me up to the monitors, did labwork, and did a straight cath to get a urine sample (not a pleasant experience)...which showed no protein. Plus while i was laying in L&D my bp went down like it always does when they admit me and they hook me up.

so, being as a go to an office with 5 GYNs who constantly tell me something contradicting to what the last GYN told me, the GYN that day told me I do not have pre-e (even though less than a week earlier another GYN at the same office told me I did definitely have pre-e and they would do what they could to get me to 36 weeks) that I have PIH and to just go home and take it easy.

I am on bi-weekly appointments and i see yet another GYN tomorrow morning and i plan on telling him how the stress of not being able to have faith in my dr's is prob not helping my bp. sometimes i just want them to get my son out of me now because i feel like he will be safer outside of my body.

yesterday on my home monitor my bp's were in the 135/70 - 145-85 range all day, and then for no reason i felt my heart rate pick up and i took my bp and it was 152/89. I don't understand why for no reason my bp constantly jumps around. I stayed that high until i went to bed.

thanks so much for all of your care and support, it has really helped...i am 33 weeks and 4 days today.

thanks again
holli

timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:27 pm

Holli,

After reading what you have posted I hope you have gone to see the doctor or Labor and Delivery as the stomach pain you describe is all to familiar a pain. We care about you and your baby, and even if it seems like all could be fine, we are just trying to help you to be aware of the possibilities of what is going on. I am the type that would rather err on the side of caution and go get seen about nothing than realize a step too late that I should have gone in but didn't. I am wishing you much luck and hope you will come back to post your progress here.
Keeping you close in thought and prayer,

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:55 pm

Hi, I'm new here, too. My story began the same way yours is sounding. I wasn't diagnosed until 32 weeks. I was seeing my obs about three times a week and in LD on the weekends for BP checks and labwork. One of my doctors told me that he didn't know when the baby would arrive, but that it would not be term. He said, "WE ARE BASICALLY WAITING FOR YOU TO CRASH AND BURN," which is what I did. This being my first pregnancy and my lack of knowledge and understanding about PE, I simply thought "okay, let's see what happens." What happened is that the day after my labs indicated we were holding steady, I suffered a horrific pain from placental abruptia and underwent an emergency c-section followed up by HELLP. To this day, I think if I or my doctors had been more knowledgeable or vigilent, HELLP may not have developed. Also, I have since learned that what my doctors dismissed as stretching ribs, was actually the epigastric pain that I was to be on the lookout for. My advice is to be overly cautious. If you feel that something is not right, persist. If your doctor dismisses it, persist even more. On a positive note...when our little one was born, he was 5.1 lbs and as healthy as they come. He didn't need oxygen, ate fine, maintained a good temperature, stayed in the room with me, and was ready to go home 4 days later. Good luck and be persistent. I know you're probably terrified, but like the others have said, you are at a good point.

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Mon Jun 19, 2006 03:56 pm

Holli,

I completely agree with Julie.....I would ask your doctor how often they are going to do your bloodwork for platelets and liver function...mine did it every week and i delivered at 31 weeeks..(my son is fine just a preemie he had no steroids for lung development as I was on insulin and the steroids cause blood sugar to rise)...my emergency C section was only scary because my platelets dropped so low.....had to have a transfusion before surgery so i could coagulate my own blood

You say you are not feeling well......are you voiding urine and or stool? tell your doctor if you are changing your bathroom patterns......my hellp development did cause by bp to rise but the blood test was what sent me to the hospital.

I have loads of nicu experiences i could share should your little one have a stay there.....just know you have to take care of yourself first!!

Best of luck and know you are not alone!

Michelle

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:26 pm

I am absolutely with Julie on her advice...you have some concerning symptoms. Please call your physician or go to L & D. I wish you the best!

julie f

Postby julie f » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:06 pm

Holli, hi and welcome to you as well.

Like Caryn, I too am worried about the upper right quadrant pain and the plain old awful feeling. URQ pain was the only thing that indicated anything wrong to me...

Please check out our Signs & Symptoms page: http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp And see this specifically about URQ pain:
Stomach and/or Right Shoulder Pain

This type of stomach pain, called epigastric pain by the medical profession, is usually under the right-side ribs. It can be confused with heartburn, gallbladder problems, flu, indigestion or pain from the baby kicking. Shoulder pain is often called referral pain because it radiates from the liver under the right ribs. Lower back pain is different from muscle strain common to pregnancy. It is usually more acute and specific. All may be a sign of HELLP Syndrome or a related problem in the liver. Shoulder pain can feel like someone is deeply pinching you along the bra strap, or it can be painful to lie on your right side.

What you can do...

Pain in this area should be taken very seriously; do not dismiss it and go to bed. Call your health professional immediately.

I'm not a doctor but if in your shoes, I would call your doctor this evening and let them know of this pain, or head in to have labs run. I don't mean to be an alarmist but I truly feel that this is one of those things where it's much better to be told it's nothing than to miss it.

Please take care and let us know.

holliadrienne

Postby holliadrienne » Sun Jun 18, 2006 09:01 pm

Caryn~

I have had headaches off and on for about a week now, and I did mention this to my GYN. Sometimes they are so awful I can't stand it, sometimes they are just a dull ache, today I haven't had one at all. As far as visual disturbances, I have had a couple times where I see dark spots with lights around them in my peripheral vision. Both times this did not last long, and I told my GYN and he said that lights were not the usual complaint it was shadows, whatever that meant. The baby is moving fine, and I definitely pay attention to that all the time...

I have felt something was wrong for weeks now, even before the diagnosis of pre-e. I am going to tell my GYN tomorrow about my new pains and see what he says,Everyone tells me not to worry, but when all you do is lay in bed it is very hard not too.

Thank you for caring and being there, your advice helps alot. I just took my bp and it was 146/82, which is about where it has stayed for a couple days now.

thanks again
Holli

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jun 18, 2006 07:48 pm

Holli,

Right-side epigastric pain is a HELLP symptom, because it affects the liver, and bp does not necessarily rise dramatically in HELLP. I too was oddly short of breath, even for a pregnant woman.

Plus, you say you're feeling awful. We tell women that their intuition is an important diagnostic tool with this disease, because so many people tell us that they just felt like something was *wrong*.

So now I am worried about you. Do you have a headache? Visual disturbances? Are you doing kick counts?

jrmerritt

Postby jrmerritt » Sun Jun 18, 2006 06:30 pm

I feel your pain with the whole situation. I was pretty much in the same boat as you, but I wouldn't worry too much. When I was pregnant with my 2nd child I had an emergency c-section at 35 weeks. I was so scared that she would have to be put in the nicu, but she was a trooper and came home with me 3 days later. She was only 4lbs 9 ozs when she was born. Same thing with my last baby. She was born at 36 weeks and came home 3 days later. She was 5lbs 12 ozs. I can say that not all babies are the same and some do need a little help, but usually it's not for very long since they consider a 37 week pregnancy full term. Hope you get to feeling better.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”