26.5 weeks (sister) questions??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : 26.5 weeks (sister) questions??

Postby caryn » Fri Sep 30, 638631 12:48 am

I'm glad to hear it. I remember wondering what had happened. :-)

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Mon Sep 19, 638631 3:37 am

Thanks for the update. It is nice to hear such a good outcome to such a roller ooaster pregnancy.

amandah

Postby amandah » Sun Sep 18, 638631 4:35 pm

hahaha i came across this old post completely on accident hahaha any way while i am looking at it i wanted to give an almost 3 year update! She had the baby (a girl) and she was almost 1 week over due and her name is hannah. she is a completely healthy 2 1/2 year old and spoiled rotten. when lauren go the okay to stop the meds we had trouble getting little "princess tinkerbell" (as she likes to be called) to come out. we went out for mexican and i piled hot peppers in her taco and she went in to labor before we left the restaurant. we went straight to the hospital and she had her 6 hours later. little hannah had a rough start not keeping any fluids down so she was transfered to the nicu 2 hours away but after 2 days was healthy enough to go home with a diagnosis of gerd. it was insane seeing her in there at over 8 lbs and seeing the other little ones around 1 pound. one was even 15 ounces. I don't know what happened to those babies but i picture them doing the same things as hannah: playing with dolls and fighting with there siblings hahaha any way thought the update would be fun

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Tue Jul 08, 637969 1:15 am

Amandah,

I'm so sorry for all you guys are going through!

Without any dilation, your sister isn't really in true labor. There are different names for it - "irritable uterus" or "false labor" being the most common. The swab test has a pretty high accuracy, so that should be comforting to your sister, but they may still want the contractions stopped just so they don't stress the baby, or so they don't progress to "real" labor at some point.

I had very frequent, strong contractions with two of my babies starting at 27 weeks - sometimes 4 minutes apart for hours. But I never dilated - I also found that resting as much as possible helped slow them down and they would really kick up when I over did it. Another thing to watch for is dehydration - many moms are dehydrated and don't even realize it and that is a common cause of both irritable uterus and "real" preterm labor. Anyway, hopefully your sister will have the same luck I did and never dilate early on. [:)]

As far as the GD test - it is usually given around 28 weeks here. Most commonly GD is a concern in the last trimester and that's when it can cause problems more [unless the mom has very high, uncontrolled sugars early on, then it is a problem].

I sure hope your sister is able to rest and the contractions slow down. Not dilating is a very promising sign [because 26 weeks is so early!]. But "false labor" is maddening because it often FEELS like the real thing. My husband used to joke that I was in labor for 3 months with my son. LOL! [:D] That was definitely how it felt.

Bless you for being so supportive of your sister and I hope the contractions leave her alone and that the baby is born full term and healthy!

Kelly

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Tue Jul 08, 637969 12:50 am

I was never tested for GD because Hannah was delivered at 26.5 weeks. Best of luck to you and your sister, please keep us posted!

rebecca

Postby rebecca » Mon Jul 07, 637969 5:55 am

My take on it is that right now, she's not in "real" labor, because there's no cervical change. However if the contractions are left unchecked, it could eventually turn into real labor and you don't want that. Also, the contractions can be hard on the baby. My daughter started to show signs of stress upon contractions so they wanted them stopped. Her care sounds very similar to what I had - I was in and out of L&D as they tried to manage and monitor the contracting.

amandah

Postby amandah » Sun Jul 06, 637969 10:12 pm

the hospital sent her home last night and told her if she has contractions go back to the hospital. i dont understand why though if the swab test is accurate (to tell if she will go in to labor in the next 2 weeks)and thats what they are relying on then why would she have to go get her contractions stopped again? they did an u/s and said she wasnt dialated so i dont know what to tell her. she said she was miserable there she the nurses werent nice at all and they made her feel stupid for asking questions. i dont know what to do

rebecca

Postby rebecca » Thu Jun 26, 637969 5:26 am

I'm so sorry your sister is going through this. I had pre-term labor starting at 24 weeks. I had to have terbutaline pills around the clock; when those didn't work I'd go in for the shots of terbutaline. My contractions were bad and sometimes every 3-5 minutes, but the key is whether there is any cervical change. I never had cervical change. I also had many of the fetal fibrenectin swab tests and they were always negative. You should take a lot of comfort in the negative results. I ended up going to 34 weeks and they took the baby c-section then because of her size and amniotic fluid. If I hadn't had those problems, the contractions (called irritable uterus when they're not accompanied by cervical change) never progressed into "real" labor. Good luck and keep us posted.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Wed Jun 25, 637969 6:32 pm

The protocal for testing for GD is at 27-28 weeks. So her not being tested is in no way that abnormal. Also a 2lb baby at 26 weeks isn't unduly large. The average weight of a 27 week baby is 1.93 pounds (26 weeks is 1.68 pounds). So she is right in the 50-75% range for the baby's weight at that gestation.

staceyc

Postby staceyc » Wed Jun 25, 637969 4:55 pm

Amanda

Please keep us posted...Like the other ladies have said...she may want to ask for the Beta Shots if there is any chance of her delivering...to give the baby a little extra maturity...I received mine about a week and a half ago...GD is not usually tested for until I believe 24-28...usually with a 1 hr or 3 hr Glucose Tolerance Test. I agree with you also in that she should be seen by a Peri...as much as we love our OB/GYN's they do not see complications such as these as often as a Peri would. Has she asked to see the On Call Peri with the hospital...they should have one on staff....

Keep us posted..

Stacey

Return to “Ask the Experienced”