Two more challenges for Beth

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
heather100

Re : Two more challenges for Beth

Postby heather100 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:31 am

Oh, poor Beth. That is really disappointing that she can't be awake to hold baby Drake when he arrives. Make sure to take as many pics as the hospital will allow (some allow in the c-section room and others don't-but still you can take a bunch right after as she's recovering).

I agree on not doing the tubal-legal or not. I also have the Mirena IUD and LOVE it. Well, had it. Just got it removed in March to start TTC. I didn't have a period the whole time and that was great!!!

Did you guy get her 24-hour urine results back yet? I hope they were ok.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Apr 27, 2007 05:29 pm

Lynne, I agree witht he ladies that have said it's the wrong time to make a choice about a tubal. We maybe don't know all of Beth's medical problems, but she is WAY too young for that decision to be made by one doctor. And IUD is a great alternative (for most). I have the mirena, and other than cramps at the beginning, it has been fabulous. I don't even have a period anymore; no cramping either. The Mirena is just as effective (99.9%) as a tubal...and it is not permanent, and can be removed by a doctor at any given time. That a doctor would give an opinion like that is borderline unethical...in my own non-doctor opinion. Like the others have said, in a few years things could be completely different. Give our love to Beth!

ahzryn

Postby ahzryn » Fri Apr 27, 2007 04:12 pm

Just wanted to chime in and ditto the Mirena. I would take it over a tubal any day...no periods, and it's not permanent! I've had mine for 4 years now, 0 issues.

It really doesn't matter what the law says, there are other less permanent forms of BC that would be just as effective as a tubal. I'd use those first, you simply don't know what the future will hold!

Tam

shelbys mom

Postby shelbys mom » Fri Apr 27, 2007 03:12 pm

Lynne,
I just wanted to jump in and tell you, that I have the mirena IUD, and it is great, I had one after my DD was born in 2001, till 2004 when my new DH tried to have another baby, that didn't work, so for personal reasons I decided to have the IUD replaced. Its easy, and AF slows down, then really doesn't appear at all, not something that I would miss anyhow!! good luck with Beth and Drake, and if she has any questions tell her to email me or you too!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Apr 27, 2007 03:09 pm

here is a copy of the CO medical assistance program sterilization form.

On it you will find that they require the adult to be 21 years of age
http://www.chcpf.state.co.us/ACS/Pdf_Bi ... 8_1004.pdf

but again, this is what is required for them to PAY for the procedure, not for it to be done.

As for the specific CO law, well it can't be more clear

(1) All medically acceptable contraceptive procedures, supplies, and information shall be readily and practicably available to each person desirous of the same regardless of sex, race, age, income, number of children, marital status, citizenship, or motive.

(6) Notwithstanding any other provision of this part 1, no unmarried person under eighteen years of age may consent to permanent sterilization procedures without the consent of parent or guardian.

CO statute 25-6-102

The only laws that really restrict sterilization are those on the developmentally disabled and even then, those over the age of 818 found mentally competant are allowed to make the decision at age 18.

The doc is wrong and she's free to have the procedure done (so long as she finds a doc to do it).

My guess would be that the DOCTOR won't do it until she's at least 23 and saying there is a law as an excuse.

lynnekay

Postby lynnekay » Fri Apr 27, 2007 02:27 pm

Thanks for all of your awesome input and thoughts on this hot topic!

At this point in time I also do not want Beth to have a tubal. But, I also think it is horrible that by law she can not chose to have one IF she wanted too. You are all right to say that Who Know's what the future holds for future medical advances, and maybe one day Beth could get pregnant again without all of the risks associated with her other diseases. I think the IUD will be a great alternative for now.

As I read your posts I started to wake up and realize that I am putting WAY TOO much TRUST in her dr's. For future knowledge info, I am going to check out the Colorado law on this topic and make sure we are hearing the truth.

We are all so very tired at this point in the fight with pe, so to make any medical decesions based on our ragged emotions right now would be a disaster [:)]

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts & prayers.

She starts another 24 hr. urine this Sunday, so we will let you know what happens after we get those results ~ Lynne

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Apr 27, 2007 01:35 pm

I will add one more thing regarding legaility, everywhere I read says all it requires is a mentally competant adult, but that some programs will not PAY for a sterilization under a certain age. Its possible that if your daughter is on something like medicaid or her insurance will not pay for it prior to age 23.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Apr 27, 2007 01:32 pm

*sigh* that doc is so FULL OF IT. It is NOT against any FEDERAL law to get your tubes tied before age 23. Now your state may have a law on it, but then again, many of them were repealed in the 70's and 80's (they had age calculations). I really hate it when Doctor's try to practice law =)

To think about it, 23 is a compeltely RANDOM age and the law wouldn't hold up in court (as we consider 18 to be an adult and 21 to be a compelte adult what would 23 then make?) Heck, woman get hysterectamies at younger ages then that! In fact, in Alabama, Medicaid will pay for a woman to get her tubes tied if she's 21 years of age or older!

Now FINDING a doctor who will do a sterilization procedure on someone under the age of 30 without 3 kids is ALWAYS fun. Heck my husband was 27, had 2 kids and the doctor wasn't sure he was going to do the procedure until he found out that I had complications in both pregnancies and was limited on the birth control I could use. Then he had 0 issues performing the surgery.

Also realize that many states require a 30 day consent notice prior to the sterilization being performed. Thus if they do her in an emergancy within that time frame, they may not be able to do the procedure.

Also, a word of caution against making the decision while in the midst of an emergancy. This is permanent and while this doctor has said she will have more problems, she should really get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on the matter AND you never know what 5-10 years down the road will bring in terms of medical advances.

I don't know what state your in (if I did it would be fairly easy for me to come up with any possible laws)

lbdefelice

Postby lbdefelice » Fri Apr 27, 2007 01:30 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I am continuing to think and pray for your family. I am sorry for all Beth had had to endure with her pregnancy. She is extremely lucky to have a mom like you. Hang in there and keep us updated!

echap77

Postby echap77 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 01:30 pm

Lynne! It's now wonder Beth is such a strong young woman - look at her mom! I know she is in a tough situation right now and things are so hard to process and understand. Just hang in there (easier said than done) and know that you have tons of thoughts and prayers coming your way (and Beth and Drake!)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”