Summer

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
celina

Re : Summer

Postby celina » Thu Nov 01, 2007 09:38 pm

Prayers and hugs, Summer. I have felt as you did before and for slightly different reasons. A nurse ordered me to the ER because I had wanted to speak with a doctor about some of my concerns. She told the ER doc that I said I was suicidal (at 39 weeks) which was an absolute lie. I was seriously afraid of what was going to happen, as in where they going to try to have me commited, thus taking my baby and my older children away from me.

I agreed to go in for my clinic appointments and they did NSTs in the office. The L&D staff was horrible but I was able to come to a compromise with my regular doc who was an angel.

I am so sorry for all of this frustration involved. Prayers for a quick resolution and a healthy mama and baby.

Celina

msellers

Postby msellers » Thu Nov 01, 2007 09:37 pm

Summer,

I know exactly how you feel ok, I just got sent home after 2 days in the hospital. I asked the doc could he just deliver me now, and because my labs still look good he said not yet, however he has me coming back in on sat to be monitored in L&D again, and if something is off then....I can count on a delivery. He told me the same thing about one day inside mom is 3 days less in the nicu, Well for me the nicu is all that I know, and I guess its scary for me to think at this point what it would be like to do anything else, I also feel like I have carried my baby as far as I can and now its time to take him out so that we will both be fine. But I do know that the nicu is not fun, even for a short time, and if docs are watching real close its best to keep the appts. Hey maybe they will find something out of whack or just get tired of you coming in with high pressures. Now I will say that sometimes you being a little pushy will help them to understand your state of mind and will eventually get you results, but I am with everyone else. Keep the appt. You probably will get delivered quicker that way. I know you are tired and frustrated, I am too, I just spent my husband's birthday in the hospital. Not too mention this is the third time I have experienced this, my mind is barely able to cope. But I want you to stay strong, you are really almost there. You are further along then me, so your baby will probably not spend much time in the hospital if any at all. Go to the appts, so that they can check your pressures again and get you delivered. Or just tell them you want to be hospitalized until delivery. Be persitant even if they dont like you afterward.

laura

Postby laura » Thu Nov 01, 2007 09:05 pm

Are you having other signs of nervous system disturbance like hyper-reflexia or blurry vision? There are *lots* of women who end up running with really high BPs but don't progress into severe disease as evidenced by intercranial swelling (which is what actually causes the seizures)

The BP's are *not* what cause the severe effects of preeclampsia- they're just a sign that you should be evaluated for the other stuff.

I'm not a huge believer in trying to urge, push, or nudge folks into doing stuff that they don't want to do, but I would (and I'm no doc) recommend that if you choose not to be followed by your docs that you be really fastidious with your kick counts- fetal condition can really deteriorate quickly and is not tied directly with how you're doing. You never know when that placenta is going to go and sometimes when it does, you need quick action to get that baby out safely.

I really can sympathize with your desire to be delivered, but as my own docs strung me along with my second (who had low fluid) I tried to remind myself that the only 'sell by' date that we have is due date, and they're not going to deliver early unless there's a specific reason for it- preemies who don't breathe well just aren't worth the risk.

Hang in there, sleep on it, let us know how you're doing tomorrow!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Nov 01, 2007 07:44 pm

Summer,

not to sound like an ornery old school ma'am, but maybe you should stop and think about this a bit more.

The truth is, there is no magic number that's going to get every single one of us delivered at that point. Some of us - and I include myself in this group - can cope with much higher BPs than others. In my last pregnancy, it wasn't until I was hitting 160/110 on meds that we called it quits. Balancing your protenuria with your BP s is vital - and I would urge you to continue to do your 24 hrs.

The doctors are balancing your health with the baby's and it is still the case that for every day they can keep you pregnant, that is 3 days less NICU time.That may not seem like much to you at this side of a delivery, but believe me, as someone who has only had one of her children handed straight to her after birth, I would not underestimate it at all.

You are so much further along than you ever imagined you would be, and you are now in the home straight. Don't let your completely understandable frustration take over - you need to keep your head on, breathe deeply and continue to be monitored closely until the end.

Rant over ;-)

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 07:34 pm

Yeah Heather and so I called the peri today and told them I'm not coming in for my NST's anymore. Quite honestly I don't even care how the baby is doing if I stroke out from driving there it won't matter anyways. So I am not getting out of bed, screw them. They are pissed but oh well what are they going to do not deliver me, screw them. I'm not going in for my 24 hour tomorrow either I'm done. Doesn't seem to matter how bad I get as long as the baby is fine they are leaving me pregnant so why bother showing up. I will go to my dr' appt. next wednesday but tomorrow NST and Tuesday, not going. Sorry. I am not goign to get my pulse up to 120-130 and be jittery all day so they can give my baby a perfect ten which he always gets and send me home, that's 4 hours I coudl be in bed keeping my bps and pulse at a realistic level.
My friend told her peri what mine is doing with my bp's and they were shocked, said they deliver anyone after 34 weeks with my bp's. I am SO FRUSTERATED. Oh well, if I feel sick I'll go to the hospital but otherwise I give up. I am just going to lay in bed til my next appt. If I want to work my bp's up and feel horrible all day I'll do it doing something I enjoy like painting my new house.

heather100

Postby heather100 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 03:24 pm

Yeah, you are right. That would be so frustrating to have the same BP's last week (or even lower) and be told you'd get delivered the next week and you don't. I'd be mad, also.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 02:47 pm

Yeah everyone says that Heather but I'm thinking if my bp's are this high for so many months and I have a stroke, does it matter how big he is really cuz nobody will be able to take care of him grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. The dr. said mine is a tough call cuz my bp's are so bad, and he went back and forth but decided no. I hate him now. Dr. McJerk. He shouldn't have told me he was delivering me this week if he wasn't, so last week these bp's were to dangerous to leave me prego but this week they are not???? Im confused.
Back to bed for me. I am really in a crummy mood I had my hopes up and he crushed them. I so want to get through this without ending up so sick that I almost die or die. Apparantly though a schedule is more important than that.

heather100

Postby heather100 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 01:19 pm

Oh, Summer. That stinks for you!!! I know you don't wanna hear this but "at least the babe can grow some more."

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:26 am

D'oh! Well, hopefully your baby will get a little meatier in the meantime. And keep your hiney in bed, ok? White blood cells are normally elevated in a pregnant woman, so unless they are off the chart it's probably ok. Keep on keepin' on. We'll be here for you! You can do it! But make sure you keep an eye on yourself, and baby's movements (as much as you can).

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:17 am

We will all be here for you.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”