Anyone ever have an IV iron infusion??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
wdersley

Re : Anyone ever have an IV iron infusion??

Postby wdersley » Fri Sep 16, 638292 6:14 am

Ditto - My hemoglobin was 8.2 and is now 10.1 after just 10 days!! My iron reserves (not sure what there correct name is) were 2.7 and they should be 30 ish apparently. Have not had a repeat iron check yet but my dizzy and fainting spells are a thing of the past. However, I was told that IV iron is only given if there is a severe Iron deficiency causing the aneamia, if it is due to another reason then IV iron will not produce the desired effect and a blood transfusion is required.

Hope whatever is done will work for you.

staceynw

Postby staceynw » Tue Aug 23, 638292 8:08 am

JMACIONP: You doctor is probably correct in not giving you a blood transfusion . . . My doctor said the hemoglobin has to be below 10 and the hematocrit below 30 to do "blood" transfusion.

What I and WDERSLEY was an actual liquid iron infusion through an IV . . . not a blood transfusion, so I think the protocol is different for that and you may qualify.

I feel quite a bit better having had mine now for 4+ weeks. I have no ice cravings and I feel better in general. It's a hassle but it was worth it for me.

jmacionp

Postby jmacionp » Mon Aug 22, 638292 12:32 pm

my hemoglobin is 10.8 and hematocrit is 32.5. normal range for hematocrit is 37 - 47. The hematologist said my count is low but not low enough to need blood transfusion, although he said that we would just prepare for a possible transfusion should the need arise during delivery. my iron supplement was increased but after a while of taking the extra iron, my blood counts just wont go up. The hematologist had some blood tests done, and the result he said was that my anemia was not due to iron deficiency but to some chronic disease, possibly hypertension.

wdersley

Postby wdersley » Wed Aug 10, 638292 10:47 pm

Just an update.

Had the infusion last week. My arm hurt as the iron went in as it was soooooo cold but relieved by wrapping in arm in warm blanket. Was really surprised about 15 min obs throughout - I felt fine!!!!

Got blinding headache that night though which lasted 4 days so was not very happy. I now have some pink bits under the eyelids which never have so quite impressed. Review this Friday to see what the levels are like - really looking forward to seeing improvement. Not feeling as tired or dizzy but palpitations still present so they must be pregnancy related not the anemia. Here's not to needing another one for awhile!

katevans

Postby katevans » Sat Dec 14, 638289 2:13 am

Stacey,
I wish I saw your post earlier. I am glad you survived the infusion. I also had gastric bypass, and had the infusion of Infed after I had my first c-section. I have not needed it again since my first pregnancy. Best of luck with everything.

staceynw

Postby staceynw » Sun Dec 01, 638289 3:53 am

Congrats on getting the iron infusion. . . but be prepared for a LONG day . . . take plenty to do, and plan for a nap after they give you the IV benadryl. . . . and then be prepared for a restless night's sleep when you get home, cuz after your nap and the IV steroid (hydrocortisone) kick in, you'll have a restless night.. . . but still tolerable.

I'm starting to perk up from it and don't regret spending the 10 hours at the hospital at all!!! I notice I don't get extremely crabby when I can't eat my ice anymore, and I made it through several days with only a little ice chewing. They say it takes 2-3 weeks for it fully to absorb the bone marrow, but I'm noticing a difference already.

Funny you should mention them telling you that you won't feel well the day or two after. . . I was going to post it here. It's not that I didn't feel well or that I felt sick, because I felt okay, I just noticed the next two-three days that I was more short of breath than normal and a little fatigued. It was tolerable though, just annoying. I made it to work and did my regular activities in the days that followed, but I did complain a lot about it. . . .LOL. . . but that's just my nature [8D] Again, it's well worth the annoyance to feel better.

Let me know how your infusion goes!!

wdersley

Postby wdersley » Sat Nov 30, 638289 3:30 pm

Sorry to ask again. I have been told that I will not feel too great the day after. I have a busy day at work after and I am not sure whether I need set work for my classes and book both days off. Please let me know how you felt for the 24 hours after the IV.

Thank you Wendy

wdersley

Postby wdersley » Thu Nov 07, 638289 4:13 pm

Thank you Stacey. I have been booked in for IV infusion next week. My Hemoglobin is 8.1 and my iron reserves are 2.6. Apparently this is really low. As yet they haven't found a reason for the lack of absorption but the hematologist says that the IV infusion will give me enough stores to see the pregnancy through. The other option is blood transfusions but apparently I couldn't have enough of them to do the job. In some ways the IV sounds like the better option anyway especially as you said its not that painful.

Thanks for being so honest. All the best for the rest of your pregnancy.

staceynw

Postby staceynw » Sun Oct 27, 638289 1:37 pm

Wdersley: My hemoglobin before the iron infusion was 10 and my hematocrit was 30. (Neither terribly low, but low enough for me to experience the side effects of it, mainly shortness of breath, fatigue, headache, raw/sore tongue, brittle flaky nails, and terrible ice cravings). I've been stalled out at 10 & 30 since July/August 2007. My iron reserve (ferritin) and my total iron binding capacity were actually pretty good.

The reason I do not absorb the oral iron supplement is because I had the RNY gastric bypass (distal) several years ago. With this, I had a significant amount of intestine removed. With so much less intestine than the average person, there is less intestine for the iron to travel through, i.e., less absorption. This is complicated, but then add the fact that with any person who has gastric bypass the intestinal tract does not have gastric acids until half-way down the patient's remaining intestinal tract, it means even less absorption because the iron pill needs gastric juices to break it down. Because the IV infusion is pumped through your veins, this eliminates the whole absorption problem since the absorption problem is in my actual "gut."

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Oct 17, 638289 3:11 am

I hope you start feeling better and have more energy in a couple days! And SHOOT! I would have come and kept you comfy (after your benadryl nap, of course)!
K

Return to “Ask the Experienced”