Delivery does not equal cure?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re : Delivery does not equal cure?

Postby blythe » Sun Jan 29, 638299 7:19 pm

Amarah - well, cured as in what's causing your bp to stay high now isn't the same thing that was making your bp go up then... The stuff in our bodies that causes the PE hypertension can also cause eclamptic seizures and major organ damage. Chronic hypertension is a risk factor for heart disease, etc., but not the urgent, life-threatening risk in PE. Small comfort when you're dealing with chronic htn, though :-<. I know one of my fears about having another baby is that I could end up a chronic this time.

Just had to add my 2cents. The PE cure starts with the delivery of the placenta, but the battle scars remain.

amarah

Postby amarah » Fri Jan 06, 638299 3:28 pm

I just wanted to add that delivery was not the cure for me. I also was a sudden onset that was so bad they had to do a emergency csection. Now my protien went back to normal. But my bp never did. So in a since people that are then left w/ chronic hypertension after, were never really "cured".

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Jan 05, 638299 5:50 am

They can be, and some studies are looking into using that as a predictive test. But those levels are elevated to some extent in *all* pregnant women, thought to be because they are necessary to having a placenta embed and then detach. Some women are more susceptible to them than others, so the levels for "normal pregnancy" and "PE pregnancy" overlap somewhat -- some women with highish levels won't get PE etc.

babybo11

Postby babybo11 » Thu Jan 05, 638299 12:52 am

If we know what we do about the FLT and and endoglin levels, why can't they be monitored?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jan 04, 638299 2:48 am

You have to remove the placenta to reverse the symptoms of the disease, which of course means you have to deliver the baby too. :-)

The current theory is that it takes time for the body to mop up the chemical proteins that are produced by the placenta, and it can't repair the damage until *after* it's mopped up all the soluble FLT and the soluble endoglin and whatever *else* might be involved. Only at that point can your VEGF go back to shepherding the molecules that repair the leaks in your blood vessels and only at that point does the TGF-beta cascade renormalize.

Since placental hypoxia is thought to be what creates soluble FLT, and since labor means periods of placental hypoxia (not enough blood going to the placenta i.e. contractions) mixed with periods of placental perfusion, labor can dump a whole bunch of these chemicals into your system, which means the damage caused by them can peak postpartum.

I hope that makes sense.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Tue Jan 03, 638299 11:20 pm

I still think that that delivery is the only cure but, that cure is not always immediate and for some it gets worse before it gets better.

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Sun Dec 25, 638298 3:42 am

I think that when you hear this "delivery is the only cure for PE" it has to do with women who had a sudden onset of PE (like me at 26 wks) and are so sick that the drs do not have a choice but to deliver to save both mother and child. I was a severe case and had they not operated I would have died.

My sister had PP PE a week after my niece was born.

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Sat Dec 24, 638298 10:17 pm

I had post partum hypertension (no protein, so not PE) - I had mild PE before then and was induced at 38 weeks. During pregnancy, I would not say that my case was severe at all. BP no more than 150s/90s, and never more than +2 urine (no protein at all in week 37 or 38 - not even trace).

So, I was not a severe case, but still had severe hypertension post partum - 202/115! It took 16 weeks to resolve totally.

I very much wish I knew what caused it or how to see it coming again b/c I'm currently pregnant with #2 : ). I'm hoping that being aware of it this time will help the matter!

myrnski

Postby myrnski » Sat Dec 24, 638298 9:40 pm

I have been told also that it depends on how far your PE progressed. So depending on the "amount of damage" that was done, it might take quite a while to recover.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat Dec 24, 638298 9:20 pm

Although delivery and the removal of the placenta is the start of recovery, it can take a while for your body to mop up all the proteins that are part of the PE cascade. It takes time for your body to heal.

Also if PE is initiated by a poorly implanted placenta wanting more oxygen or blood flow, the stress of delivery might trigger additional changes.

The greatest risk of post-partum PE is in the first few days after delivery, but it can occur up to two months post-partum.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”