Available research on role of mast cells in PE?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Available research on role of mast cells in PE?

Postby kris11 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 09:03 am

This may seem a bit random, but is anyone aware of whether there is research addressing the role, if any, of mast cells in PE? I'm interested generally, but also specifically wondering whether any implications for treatment of pregnant women with mast cell disorders have been identified. (I doubt it, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask!) Thanks in advance!
kris11

Re : Available research on role of mast cells in PE?

Postby caryn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 01:26 pm

I can only find about 10 papers on this in PubMed, most of them older. That's *probably* because the scientific consensus decided (because of some other research) that preeclampsia isn't a typical immune response involving histamines, but a specific way in which the "induction tolerance" of a foreign placenta goes wrong. They call it a "novel form of allorecognition", or something like that, but the idea is that it involves some cells that just do placentation and not anything else.

Here's a [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12369286"]more recent review[/url] (I don't know the journal) that says The participation of mast cells and histamine in blastocyst implantation is very controversial. In W/Wv mice (without mast cells) normal implantation was observed. It denies the main role of mast cells in this process but dos not exclude histamine action...

And I'm afraid that's all I know about it. I'd ask your MFM!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced