my nurse told me to look for tingling in fingers?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
christiebrown98

Re : my nurse told me to look for tingling in fingers?

Postby christiebrown98 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:54 pm

I hate how they just blow everyone off and say its nothing. They tell us to go to the hospital if certain symptoms arise but if your bp isnt high or goes down after resting they just send you home. It makes it hard to go ahead and let them know about symptoms. I see my ob tomorrow and i hope she wants to induce this weekend as i'll be 37 weeks. I cant take any more wondering what if anythingbis going to go bad and i feel like im going insane constantly trying to watch out for new symptoms. Especially when i do get them and they wont even explain to me why it wasnt concerning or what exactly they are looking for. Im glad you and your baby are ok. Ive read some of the stories in here where the docs were just ignorant about everything. Sorry for the rant, its just getting to me! Do you think its too early to ask for an induction seeing how i apparently dont have any other symptoms and my bp stays good as long as i dont over do it? I have one other quick question, is 130's over 80's considered relativley high for most?

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 09:42 pm

I had light sensitivity for MONTHS after having my first... that was after my worst case of pree. I had floaters, from 31wks on with her, then saw stars and blurry vision starting around 34wks. they had already determined pree was what was going on by that point. with my second, I had no other symptoms.. just would have flashing lights for a few moments nearly every day. they said migraines , then maybe they'd send me for a neurology consult (which the ob would say these things then not submit the referral, I'd ask the next appt, with the nurse practitioner who thought I was a wacko and a waste of her time and she'd blow me off). When it was pretty clear to me that pree was what was happening again to me (much later, the 2nd time around) I had to be persistent. I felt off, started swelling and started having high readings and nosebleeds overnight... literally had a 37wk appt with a b/p of 100/60 , 2 days later it was 140s/90 plus nosebleeds, feeling off and anxious... I called, saw the nurse practitioner b/c she was who was available...she blew me off! So I went home and watched... sure enough the next morning, had gained more weight, was feeling "that" anxiety ... I cannot describe it, not sure if others felt this way, but when things were really wacko and my b/p was out of control wacko and I started spilling protein, I felt insane. like a panic attack without the hyperventilation.. but that would not go away... I just kept calling until I got in with my ob... when she finally saw me she was ready to send me to the hospital that moment. I did three sets of labs within 5 days (over the weekend b/c the BPP was good and my pressures were up and down , not staying high). so I made it until my parents could get there to take my daughter. that was my wish. and my ob felt okay about waiting... it wasn't as severe the second time around.

just stay on top of things. as things develop let them know and if you feel in your heart you should be seen... just go in and be seen. go to the L&D if you cannot get into the office. you are your best advocate. hang in there!

christiebrown98

Postby christiebrown98 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 05:46 pm

The blurry vision just happend again. It was in my right as usual and lasted about 30 seconds, it seems to be happening more often now. At first it was every other day now its been atleast once a day. What do they do about visual disturbances?

christiebrown98

Postby christiebrown98 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 04:13 pm

I think thats why so many symptoms are ignored. I'm always afraid to call in about mine because so far they are just ignored. They told me to look out for blurry vision, and spots and such and when I told them about the black spots out of the corner of my eyes they didn't say anything, as well with my blurry vision. The blurry vision only comes and goes and is usually in my right eye, so I guess because its not constant its just deemed normal pg stuff. Which is fine with me if it is! but i just hate not knowing. Earlier today I went outside ( not for the first time of the day so i'm sure it wasnt shock of natural light! ) and the light actually hurt my eye's, you know when you can feel it like at the back of your eyes? wow i am the worst at wording things. Well anyways It hasn't happened again so I'll just forget about it for now.

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 02:27 pm

it's tough b/c many of the symptoms associated with pree are associated with pg in general. protein & ketones in the urine could be a sign of dehydration (hence if it's trace or even just +1, some obs may not run a 24hr urine... although with mine showing trace, my 24 came back with a protein level of 1050). swelling can happen b/c your circulation is wackadoo towards the end of pg and sparkles and light sensitivity can go with migraines... but the combo of symptoms or sudden occurance of them, plus wackadoo b/p readings are reason to to suggest pree and suggest further testing. My swelling came on very suddenly both times starting in the hands and face, with pain and tingling and numbness to the hands, arms and cheeks, with dd at 31-32wks with a large weight gain... and with ds at 37wk... then it was symptom after symptom that followed (weekly with dd, daily with ds). With ds, mil saw me one day , then 3 days later saw me again and said "woah, you swelled a lot." another thing that is worrisome with this swelling pattern is congestive heart failure... which can be of concern in someone with wacked out lytes and protein. the accumulation of problems. my word, these children. ;) I joke that they were out to get me in the womb and they still are now.

essentially, I'd say any new symptom that tacks on suddenly, you should call about.

threesparkles

Postby threesparkles » Thu Jun 11, 2009 02:00 pm

Yep, 2 weeks! And 1 week PP is when I felt my absolute WORST! But, it was Easter and I got to hold Luke for the first time, so that did make things a *bit* better :)

Good luck!

christiebrown98

Postby christiebrown98 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 01:51 pm

2 weeks? I thought it just went away within a few days, knowing that I will keep my eye out after words.

threesparkles

Postby threesparkles » Thu Jun 11, 2009 01:46 pm

Oh, and that's great that they ran labs! I know my liver enzymes and platelet count were bad as well...which I *think* has something to do with the URQ pain (Liver Enzymes).

threesparkles

Postby threesparkles » Thu Jun 11, 2009 01:43 pm

For me, the light sensitivity hit hard, and was accompanied by a severe migraine that would not go away with Tylenol or even the strong meds that I got for pain after my Csection. I'm not sure if the URQ pain and light sensitivity are related -- I just know that they were both caused by the Pre-E. I think you can have one without the other. ....And, please note, these two symptoms popped up AFTER I had Luke....the only symptoms I had prior to having Luke were the high uncontrolled BP, severe swelling, and high protein levels. My point being, for me the PE lingered for 2 weeks PP, so after you have baby don't dismiss symptoms just because baby's here!

christiebrown98

Postby christiebrown98 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 01:31 pm

Did the light sensitivity start out gradual or did it just hit hard? I just had blood work done yesterday and i'm assuming they were ok because my nurse and ob never called me about them. Either that or they figured because I have an appointment tomorrow that it would be fine to wait. With your sensitivity did It hurt? Are the URQ pain and visual disturbances related or can they be one without the other? sorry I'm having troubles wording things!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”