New with questions *UPDATE*

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
nannybutterfly

Re : New with questions *UPDATE*

Postby nannybutterfly » Sat Mar 16, 638920 10:20 pm

Thank you so much! We went to L&D last night after calling the on call dr. who said to come in. The nurses there were not nice to us, said we were making a big deal out of nothing and that my symptoms were perfectly normal. They did blood work and tested my urine and said everything is fine and sent us home. The swelling is slightly better, but still noticeable. I’ve had headaches on and off since we’ve been home. I did have a bloody nose right before we went to the hospital, which I never have. I think had my last bloody nose was I was 10 years old. So I guess we’ll just wait and see.
Neither drs. are MFM, both are just OBGYNs. My husband has laid down the law and said we are done switching…so I guess I’ll just have to educate myself and make do with this dr. I am going for a level II ultrasound on Thurs. so maybe I’ll see a MFM then? Baby has been moving more, and when we were at L&D, they said he was moving fine according to his heart rate. So now I just feel like I have to wait and see if this gets any worse. Thanks for your help.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Sat Mar 16, 638920 7:50 pm

I would also go get checked out.

As for which dr to see...are they both a MFM? If the closer one is NOT a MFM, I would go ahead and make the drive to see the other one. PE can progress quickly and at your gestational age you need to be seen by a MFM. I developed PE at 26w and delivered at 26w5d.

Have you been feeling the baby move? If not, I would continue to report that symptom to your doctor. It could be excess fluid, but it could also mean the blood supply to the baby is compromised. Did your doctor check the end diastolic flow? If not, I would request they check because that will tell you if the blood flow is compromised.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Fri Mar 15, 638920 4:36 pm

Those are not normal pregnancy symptoms, especially at 25 weeks. I would recommend you head to L&D to get checked out ASAP. Best case scenario, you waste a few hours and get a clean bill of health. Rapid weight gain like that, visual disturbances, severe headaches, and sudden severe swelling are very concerning symptoms.

nannybutterfly

Postby nannybutterfly » Fri Mar 15, 638920 4:27 pm

Anyone? I have a few new symptoms I'm a little worried about: I'm seeing sparkles and flashes of light out of the corner of my eye, I've gained 3 lbs. in 24 hrs., my left foot and ankles are much more swollen than my right ankle. I'm now 25 weeks and 3 days. Are these symptoms something to worry about or just part of pregnancy?
Thanks!

nannybutterfly

Postby nannybutterfly » Sun Feb 11, 638920 9:32 pm

Update:
I’ve had a busy last couple of days! Went to the dr. on Tuesday, I had gained 8 lbs. in one week, but dr. wasn’t concerned. My 24 hr. urine showed I was spilling 128 of protein, but not enough to call it preeclampsia yet. Question: If I have protein in my urine now does that mean it will get worse? I also noticed that baby wasn’t moving as much as normal in the last 2 days and especially on Tuesday. My dr. said it was because of the extra fluid that I couldn’t feel him. Later that day, I still hadn’t felt baby move so I called the office, they said I was fine, so I guess I’ll have to take their word. My husband has been driving me to my appointments because I’m not supposed to drive. Well this dr. we were referred to is 45 minutes to an hour away from our house so we decided that if we were going to be seen every week we needed to find a closer doctor. Took me all day to finally find a doctor that would take me, most said I was “too high risk” Then yesterday afternoon I got a really bad headache that just wouldn’t go away, I took Tylenol, but it didn’t help. Woke up this morning still had the headache, and my bp was 150/80. So I called the new dr. who talked to me on the phone and said why don’t you come in and I’ll check you out. So this new doctor seems to have a different opinion. He thought the bed rest wasn’t necessary and said I’m fine to go out and about. He did a quick ultrasound and baby looked great. He tested my reflexes and said I was hyperactive, but I’m not sure what that means. So here are the changes he made to my care: He will continue to see me weekly, he doesn’t want to do the weekly 24 hr. urine because he thinks that the urine dip will show protein and the 24 hr. is excessive, he didn’t say whether or not I would have weekly blood work, but I’m assuming I will, he wants to do a level II ultrasound next week and then every 4 weeks, a biophysical profile/non-stress test. He gave me a prescription for Aldomet 250 mg. to be taken if the lower number of my bp goes above 80. He wants me to check bp 2x a day and call him with the results on Monday. I asked him what warning signs to look for that would be dangerous he said: bp 160/100 or higher, or if my headache gets worse or I feel “different”
Now I’m worried that the new dr. isn’t’ being as careful as the old dr. What do you think? Opinions?
Thank you!

hillary8l8

Postby hillary8l8 » Sun Sep 26, 638917 6:43 am

I was in your shoes about 5 weeks ago, and I thought it was all overkill too. They put me on bedrest for a day while they ran some labs, and when they came back normal, I called and asked for a note to go back to work. I couldn't stand the thought of being on bedrest. I was also concerned with the prices of the tests, and how much I was going to get charged by my insurance. I actually considered refusing some of them. Now I'm on bedrest again, and I'm actually happy about it. My BPs have still been borderline high with medication, and my last urine showed 1+ protein. What really stinks now though, is any time I get up, even to go to the bathroom I get really short of breath. It makes me wonder if I wouldn't have rushed to go back to work, if it would have made things move a little slower by keeping my BP down. It's just so unpredictable, and you just never know how fast or slow it is going to go I guess.

megansmom

Postby megansmom » Sun Sep 26, 638917 1:20 am

just read through this thread. My doctors were very cautious both times and I am eternally greatful to both of them! My normal bp is around 110/70, my doctors were not happy with anything above 140/90. Please take this seriously and stay off your feet. High bp is nothing to mess with, as anyone here will tell you. It is great that your doctor has caught this so early and is taking precautions. With baby 1, I was diagnosed and delivered within 4 days. Baby 2, we had more warning and I made it 4 weeks after diagnoses. I give credit to my doctor for those 4 weeks! It made a world of difference for my baby girl! I was induced both times and both times delivered vaginally. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to unless you or baby are having too many complications! Your bps look fairly good to me, just keep an eye on it (like you are doing). Don't hesitate to go in for ANYTHING! Keep us posted.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Sat Sep 25, 638917 7:36 pm

Actually, quite a few people with preeclampsia can and do have inductions without ending up as a c-section. I was induced at 33 weeks, and was able to have a vaginal delivery, and I was considered to have severe pre-e due to my elevated bp. They do try to allow women to deliver vaginally, but of course in some emergent situations c-sections are the only option.

nannybutterfly

Postby nannybutterfly » Sat Sep 25, 638917 6:42 pm

Thanks for all your responses! I am thankful that I have a good doctor, we are lucky to have found him.
The only symptoms my doctor said to watch for are BP of 160/110 or above, headaches, and seeing spots or blurred vision. I’m not seeing a MFM, just my OBGYN. I’m starting to realize the chances of going back to the birth center are slim, but I’m still hopeful.
My biggest fears are having the baby too early and having a C-section. My doctor said that he would let me labor as long as baby and I were tolerating it well, but is this a reality? Don’t most inductions end up as C-sections? Also, if the baby has to be born before 34 weeks will they just do a C-section?
My BP readings this week have been pretty much the same, anywhere from 130/65 to 145/75. I haven’t had a reading higher than that since Sunday, which was 148/78. Does this sound like preeclampsia? My next appointment is Tuesday so I assume I’ll get the results of the 24 hour urine test then. I’ll keep you all updated!
Thanks!

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Tue Sep 14, 638917 11:43 am

Well, most posters here are very happy with the monitoring you get and I understand why - it can turn bad very quickly and then it is very dangerous. I was lucky in that I had slowly creeping pre-eclampsia in both my pregnancies which is more the exception (as Blythe said - the average time between dignosis and delivery is 2 weeks).

I think the criterium for pre-eclampsia is two readings of a systolic blood pressure of more than 140 within 6h or two readings of a diastolic of more than 90 within 6h. Have you had two high readings within 6h yet? You might not even be diagnostic (yet).

Also, there is something called white-coat hypertension, which seems to affect mainly the systolic blood pressure.

I think it is really good to monitor your blood pressures at home and see if there is a trend of them going up. If so, you mostly likely have or will preeclampisa (or PIH), but hopefully it will stay mild for a long time.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”