Is this a sign of Pre-eclampsia/PIH?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jesterjigger

Re : Is this a sign of Pre-eclampsia/PIH?

Postby jesterjigger » Sat Sep 04, 638917 1:13 am

Oh, yes, sorry, 37 weeks, not 27. I actually caught myself saying that somewhere else and fixed it, just not here! I'm getting a blood pressure cuff to keep track of it at home tomorrow. My husband is at an Air Force school until February 5th so I'm just hoping I make it to that c-section, it's our first and he might be deployed if we were to have a second so I'd really like him to be here for the birth.

blythe

Postby blythe » Fri Sep 03, 638917 10:57 pm

Yes, 300mg is diagnostic for PE, I'll be interested to hear how much it has increased in this new 24-hr collection.

Here is a link on the "correct" way to take blood pressure - you'll see the expert opinions do vary, but the general consensus is the cuff at heart level. Nurses can be wonderful but sometimes falsely reassuring. http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321

If your doc is planning a c-section at 27 weeks - that's a typo, right? you mean 37? - that is consistent with a new large study out of the Netherlands that shows induction at 37 weeks in hypertensive pregnancies seems to be beneficial for baby and mom.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/159750.php

The average time from diagnosis to delivery is 2 weeks. That's an average, so you may stay safely pregnant until that planned c-section, but be prepared that you might have your baby a bit early than. PE is completely unpredictable and can slowly, steadily worsen, or turn on a dime. Please watch your signs and symptoms http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp
do your kick counts, monitor your bp at home, and report anything concerning to your doc.

In your shoes, I'd have a careful talk with my doc about what symptoms / bp numbers say "call L&D for consult" and what says "go directly to L&D".

Hang in there, stick around, ask more questions and share your experiences! Welcome!

jesterjigger

Postby jesterjigger » Fri Sep 03, 638917 10:18 pm

Well, my blood pressure at my appointment was 153/94 and I had protein in the urine dipstick test. Dr sent me to labor and delivery for bloodwork and a NST. Bloodwork was ok, I guess since the doctor said I could go home, I have to do another 24-hour urine test tomorrow. Apparently the results of my last 24-urine test were 297 and 300 is the cut off for pre-eclampsia?

They took my blood pressure every 10 minutes during the NST and the numbers were really good (compared to what it had been, not my normal blood pressure), 116/70 and the like, but I was half laying down the whole time so I'm guessing that's why they were so good? The lady there told me that I probably just get nervous having it taken by the doctor, but I normally have really low blood pressure so I don't think that's true. Maybe this appointment I'd be more likely to have nerves, but not the previous appointment with no signs of there being an issue.

Forgot to say, the baby is still breech (dr did a quick ultrasound to find the head) so right now my doctor is planning on a c-section on 9 February as that's when I'll be 27 37 weeks (he did say give or take a day or so).

megansmom

Postby megansmom » Fri Sep 03, 638917 6:17 am

I don't know if they do or not, but I had those same spots when I had pe with my babies. They especially noticeable with my first. My protein tests were also negative but pressures were high. Please keep a close eye on your pressures and go in asap if you even feel like anything is wrong. Let us know how you are doing!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Sep 03, 638917 5:35 am

Welcome to the forums.

My guess is that yes, they do have to do with your pressures, because in preeclampsia, the placenta is producing chemicals which damage blood vessels, and that's how it raises your blood pressure. Your body produces more vasoconstrictors to contract the vessels because it detects that they are leaky, and squeezing them together tends to plug the holes somewhat. (I think of pulling on a pair of pantyhose with a rip in them -- the hole closes as you pull on the feet and make the hose skinnier.)

So I'm wondering if they're areas where the capillaries in the skin aren't able to provide as much blood. They almost look like little blisters.

Let us know what your doc says at the appointment!

jesterjigger

Is this a sign of Pre-eclampsia/PIH?

Postby jesterjigger » Thu Sep 02, 638917 11:55 pm

Hello! I am new here, but found your site after discovering my blood pressure was 140/90 at my 34 week doctor appointment last week. That is unusually high for me especially, considering I normally have low blood pressure. I did a 24-hour urine test and had blood work done last week to check for pre-eclampsia and the tests came back negative. I've been on "bedrest" for the last week, basically taking it easy and keeping my feet up at all times, though I can still move between the floors of the house and do small things. No grocery shopping or working or anything like that.

The swelling in my feet has gone down significantly since starting bedrest. I also lost three pounds, I think due to water weight from having less swelling. I don't have pre-eclampsia (at least as of last week when I did the tests) but I've been noticing these weird white spots on my legs and feet. Also, if you press on my skin the area stays white for a few seconds, which I don't remember ever happening before. My feet aren't really purple, the color came out weird, same thing with my legs, they don't *look* red, but when you press on them they look red in comparison to the white spot that shows up for a while. I took the pictures to show my doctor in case you can't see the white spots anymore by the time I get to my appointment this afternoon. I should probably reiterate, the white spots in the pictures are just there right now, I didn't press on the skin or anything to get them to show up.

http://www.jesterjigger.com/pictures/ba ... s/feet.jpg

http://www.jesterjigger.com/pictures/ba ... /feet2.jpg

http://www.jesterjigger.com/pictures/ba ... ds/leg.jpg

http://www.jesterjigger.com/pictures/ba ... s/leg2.jpg

So, is this related to my blood pressure? Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”