starting to show signs and labetalol Q

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
myangel

Re : starting to show signs and labetalol Q

Postby myangel » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks Trish...because I'm new to this drug and my bp will go down with rest, I think I am going to give it until the morning to see how it works and reacts overnight. If my bp is still high then I will call in. The doctor at L&D said that I should return if my diastolic hits 90 stays there even after an hour of rest (which so far it hasn't done).
Hopefully we can get this stuff sorted out so that I can keep her cooking for another 2 weeks or so.
Does anyone know what the Lactate Dehydrogenase (LD?) number means?
Thanks,

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Feb 20, 2010 09:40 pm

Labetalol works pretty quickly (from my experience & what I've heard from others). I would just give a call in & see what they want you to do. They may want to check you, have you lay down & re-check in an hour or they may suggest taking more med. Did they give you call in BP number? If not I would ask about that - what is "too high" for you.

myangel

Postby myangel » Sat Feb 20, 2010 09:28 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes I take the labetalol at 8am and 8pm and I take my blood pressure one hour after the readings. I also take my blood pressure periodically throughout the day just out of curiosity or if I feel weird or off.
Maybe it will just take a while for it to work? Maybe my blood pressure is just more sensitive now?

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Sat Feb 20, 2010 09:18 pm

In my last pregnancy, I started Labetalol at 32 weeks and it really only worked for about the first week. For the last 4 weeks (I was delivered at 37 weeks), my normal BP was about 140/90.

Are you taking your BP measurements at the same time after you take your dose? I've never taken the med more than twice a day, but I know others around here seem to have a three times a day or some other "cocktail" of meds they have to take.

According to my OB, labetalol is one of the most known meds for pregnant woman, but (in her words), doesn't always work for everyone.

That is interesting, though, that your pressures were great once and now not so. Maybe your body needs time to adjust to it?

myangel

starting to show signs and labetalol Q

Postby myangel » Sat Feb 20, 2010 08:59 pm

Well I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my second child this week. So far everything had been going alright...my blood pressure was just starting to go up slowly over the past couple of weeks. Well at my last OB appointment she told me to monitor my blood pressure and if it reached 140/90 to rest for an hour and take it again, if it was still over 90 then to go into L&D to be checked out. Well on Friday my blood pressure had creeped up a few times but I was able to get it down...until 630 pm where it went up and stayed up no matter what I did. So finally around 1030 I decided that I'd given it long enough (yes, I know longer than my OB suggested) and headed into L&D. I had also had the spots periodically throughout the day as well.
When I got into L&D my blood pressure was up at 160/95 and was staying there even after lying on my left side for an hour. They also did some blood tests and a urine test (not 24hour). After another hour of lying down my blood pressure continued to stay high. They said I had 1+ protein in my urine and that most of my blood work came back normal except for LD which was at 198. What is LD? I have not done any research so I don't know what that number means, does anyone else on here know??? They said it's a little high but nothing to worry too much about right now.
Anyway, so they sent me home with a prescription for labetalol, 200mg 2x a day. I took my first dose in the hospital last night and my bp dropped down to 120/73. Today I took my regular two doses and it is now at 145/89??? What's going on? I thought my blood pressure would drop a lot lower than that? Is this normal? Does it take a few days to kick in? My OB isn't in until Monday I believe and I really don't want to go back to L&D unless I have to.
I know I've made it to 36 weeks which is awesome and I am really happy about that. What do you think about my levels and blood pressure readings? Is this normal on Labetalol??? Is there anything else I should do?
Thanks in advance...oh and my OB said that she is not going to let me go past 38 weeks for the previous pre-eclampsia as well as the fact that they found a cyst on my baby girl's ovary.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”