OMG...what just happened??? Scared...advice needed

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
myangel

Re : OMG...what just happened??? Scared...advice needed

Postby myangel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 07:58 pm

Kelly, Laura- Wow that's pretty scary. Yes if it continues after she is born then I will definitely have it checked out. I need to renew my prescription for contact lenses after she's born anyway...thanks ...

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 06:13 pm

I agree in the fact that if they continue I would contact your eye doc. The retina can detach from your eye due to high BP or something along those lines.

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 05:19 pm

I have had a ton of eye issues since PE in 2005 with daughter, I had PIH w/ son in 2009. The wavy lines (like looking thru ripply water or heatwaves from hot pavement) and flashing lights (makes me think someone is taking my picture)... they can be related to PE/PIH. There's a chance its central nervous system involvement and the brain - Caryn might be able to help with the correct terms. Regardless, tell the OB/MFM about them.

For me, I was born 7 wks early, and the PE triggered delayed onset of regressed retinopathy of prematurity, I was 27 at the time but had the condition since my premature birth. If these symptoms persist after the baby is born - talk to your regular eye doctor.

myangel

Postby myangel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:37 pm

No, I've never passed out, ever...this is the first time it's ever happened that bad. Usually if I jump up too quickly I'll just get floaters for about 10 seconds then feel fine...but this took forever to go away...but they probably are right...we'll see...

twinstwiceover

Postby twinstwiceover » Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:12 pm

Outside the realm of pre-eclampsia, my bp is typically 90/50s. If I stand up too abruptly everything you described will happen, down to sometimes a loss of peripheral vision. Have you ever passed out? That is what it always felt like to me. I would lay odds L&D was right on target and you were experiencing a sudden drop in blood pressure from moving from lying down to a standing position...

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:06 pm

If it happens again...no worries, just head to L&D like they said. Just to be safe :)

myangel

Postby myangel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:25 am

Okay, so I called L&D at the hospital I'm going to deliver at because my OB's office is closed and that's their instructions. I explained what had happened this morning and that my blood pressure ever since is jumping around from low 70's to mid to high 80's, but I feel better and my vision is back to normal. She said that she thinks it was just because I sat up too quickly and that I will be okay to wait to talk to my doctor tomorrow morning about it at our scheduled appointment. I have gotten light headed before from standing up too quickly but it's never taken that long to return to normal...I'm still a little freaked out, but I guess I should be fine. She did say if it came back then I could in to L&D to check it out.
What if it happens again when I take Labetalol again tonight? At least my hubby will be home, but I still really don't like the feeling...

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:55 am

I experienced the vision issues as well in the hospital and let me tell yah...they are scary.

Could be your BP dropped quite a bit when you were laying down and you got up too quickly?

Could be something else. I would 100% call your doctor just to be safe. 38 weeks is a great place to be :)

myangel

Postby myangel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for the replies...yes, I took my bp when this was happening and that's when my bp was 114/73. Right now i just took it again and it's 134/84. I'm going to sit down and have a drink for a little while longer and see how I feel then I'll give my dr. a call.
Thanks so much...that was really scarey... :(

brockner1

Postby brockner1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:32 am

Call your doctor right away!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”