as if PE isnt worrisome enough, now baby issues??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : as if PE isnt worrisome enough, now baby issues??

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:25 am

Maybe I missed it in your post - but when were they going to look at the heart again? I'm so sorry you have this stress and worry. I'm keeping you and your baby in my prayers!

I would think GD would be a reasonable suspect for your high fluid levels. I was told I had high fluid levels this pregnancy, but it resolved itself. I have no idea why it happen or why it resolved. I think when you have pregnancies like ours that are very closely monitored, they are more likely to find things that wouldn't be found in regular pregnancies and are often inconsequential. I hope you get some clear answers soon because I can imagine how stressful this is just wondering (and, worst, googling!)

Please keep us posted as you are able. I hope you get some reassuring news soon! (((HUGS)))

milesymommy

Postby milesymommy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:08 am

((HUGS)). I hope and pray it is nothing. But it does sound like maybe a heart issue. I know you'll worry yourself silly until you know.
That said, I would assume that if the docs saw anything really bad they'd call you before Monday... A friend of mine's son was detected as having heart issues and they called her in as soon as the expert read it and started more testing. Although her baby has heart problems and been through a couple surgeries, he's doing great now, 2 years later. They can do a lot now for pediatric heart patients.
((HUGS))

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Fri Mar 05, 2010 07:34 am

I also had excess fluid with both boys, and they are both fine. With my first son, we also had a high level us because of my quad results. That showed a possible heart "marker" for Down Syn. I have no idea what that was. We had opted to do the amnio anyway and that ruled it out. Later my ob told me that it was a pretty common marker in the general population also and causes no problems. Again, I didn't ask any questions as I was stressed enough.....So, another good outcome to hold onto this weekend.

healinghands71

Postby healinghands71 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 08:16 pm

thanks girls.... I , too hope it is "no big deal" and will baby will be fine!!

Jamie, I did read that recently after last post, like you said it is common with GD and nothing else is wrong... It just scared me to hear "we are questioning the chambers in the baby's heart" and of course I saw her taking so many views of the heart - as I know they siad based on the monitoring .... "we want to check baby as he had those episodes"

On the other hand, my sugar is still coo-coo... when i went for the first week of NST and blood work, she said, "your sugar is a little high" I think it was 138?? and when I told her that the first few were high, and the last 3 hour was 198 . .. the nurse said, if you have 2 HIGH readings we diagnos GD... so i thought... HMMM i had 3 abnormal readings and am still having some high readings even thoguht the A1C was 5.6 and under 6 I am told "no you are fine"

JAMIE I PRAY YOU ARE RIGHT!!! I just dont like the speculation before the US and of course after the US the questionable films...
and IF there is too much causeing some heart issues I pray it will be a very easy fix, or perhaps something that will reolve on its owns... and of course none of the other stuff I have filled my head with thanks to GOOGLE LOL...

I appreciate you taking the time to write... I would like to know how my sugars can be that high and yet the A1C is fine, or is the 5.6 still a "borderline" number being so close to 6?? GEEZE so much to worry about. your husband is right!! how much can we stress and worry about!!! it is so hard....

Glad you are doing well!!! hand in there!!!

myangel

Postby myangel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 08:05 pm

I, too, had too much amniotic fluid. They realized it at my 32 week ultrasound. The radiologist told me not to worry then and that they would do another ultrasound in 3 weeks to see if it's changed at all. At my 35 week ultrasound, my amniotic fluid had gone back down to the normal numbers. I'm 38 weeks right now, haven't delivered yet, but hopefully there aren't any heart defects or anything...but we've gotten some good views of the heart and they keep saying that it looks good.

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Thu Mar 04, 2010 07:57 pm

You know, I really wonder if you have undiagnosed GD. My non-doctor opinion is that you may. I remember you having so many issues with borderline blood sugars and the doc said you didn't have it based off of a A1C which actually isn;t used to diagnose GD. too much fluid is not very uncommon with GD and usually causes no problems what-so-ever.

I hope the suspicion over the heart was that they just couldn;t get a good view. Plus since that can cause too much amniotic fluid - they would want to rule it out.

Try to remain calm - most people I have known with this condition have had no problems and most were caused by GD.

healinghands71

Postby healinghands71 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 07:46 pm

thanks trish, I really hope that will be the case and I pray the US was wrong... I was told based on that US that there was "question regarding the chambers" and of course the notation that along with that finding the increased fluid., and so I am just praying that THEY WERE SUSPICIOUS but WRONG..

when they discovered your increased fluid, did they further monitor you to be sure it didnt CONTINUE to increase??? and did they then check the baby for some of the things I read with dangers of increased fluid?

I read the heart defects could be caused , also downs syndrome, cleft palate and some others. It states that increased fluid could be that the baby is having trouble swallowing (as the babies DO swallow the fluid - which is fine and normal- and also HELPS to keep the fluid at a norm level, another words if there is extra fluid then maybe he is not swallowing???) so hard to figure out. I guess I just need to remain calm and wait until I get to the MFM!! but that is very hard to do

I would have thought when I had my genetic level 2 US they would have seen SOMETHING then?? I mean with the baby- even if then my fluid was fine???

such worries. I hope my outcome will be like yours. thanks for chiming in for me , i thank you :)

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Mar 04, 2010 07:35 pm

I had too much fluid with my first & all was fine with both of us. It just made me measure 3-4 weeks ahead of my dates. (((HUGS)))

healinghands71

Postby healinghands71 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 07:25 pm

I thank you for the personal experience and am so glad your baby is doing ok... :)

I am just so worried as the baby's monitoring "triggered" the "jsut want to check your fluid and the baby" so naturally when I read on google that increased amnio fluid and baby having heart defects, I just wonder if there is a chance the US was not getting proper
views of the heart?? and I know I wont know until I get to the MFM

of course any info first hand from someone who may have had too much fluid and the out come as well as poss baby issues is so appreciated .

I am just praying and having faith that he will be ok. I am so scared with my BP, protein and such that this now adds another dimension to the stress...

thanks again for taking the time to share your story. I know that must have been so scary to watch your baby go through that. I am so glad things are ok.

brandib

Postby brandib » Thu Mar 04, 2010 03:52 pm

Well, I had too much fluid with my second child. I had PE for the second time also and that is why I was induced at 36weeks. My son went into distress during labor and ended up with an almost two week NICU stay :0( I don't know if the two are related....but thats what happened with me. They didn't expect him to have problems, especially, have to be intubated and have syrfactant and a cpap and all that. Then, the told me the first 24hrs that this was something that sometimes happens but resolves in 72 hrs and he was worse instead of better and they couldn't figure out why. He was also on a feeding tube and we coudln't even touch him let alone hold him. The nurse I had said she'd never seen that much water ( when they broke my water) and the Doctor couldn't leave because you know they gotta watch the cord not to come out when they break your water and my water just wouldn't stop coming out. They changed my bedding four times and I was still pouring throughout labor!! I know at 35weeks I was measuring 44 weeks :0( He doesn't have anything wrong with his heart that we know of and he'll be two at the end of this month! :0)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”