Low fluid - how low is too low?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
trish
Forum Moderator

Re : Low fluid - how low is too low?

Postby trish » Fri May 10, 638926 1:25 am

(((HUGS))) I would think being *right* on the line that they'd want to take a look at the fluid before Tuesday!! And I agree - doesn't seem like any good reason to keep waiting around for things to possibly go wrong with those BP's, low fluid & protein already.

Keep doing those kick counts & monitoring your BP. Don't hesitate to call in or go into L&D if *anything* feels off or if you just get too "paranoid". It's not being paranoid IMO - it's having valid concerns ok?

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 20, 638924 8:45 am

I just got back from the doctor. The baby is doing just fine and passed her NST test easily. Yeaa! In general, though, I am feeling a bit confused and not super confident about the approach doctors are taking.

The doctor said that they don't want my fluid to go below 6.0 and if it does they will deliver immediately. My fluid as of yesterday was 6.1. Haha! So I asked when they'd want to recheck the fluid, thinking that if I am really teetering on the brink that they'd want to follow up make make sure it doesn't fluctuate down at all, especially since I already had a reading of 3 last week. Well, it's not getting checked again until next tuesday. Hmmmm.... ooooookey-dokey. I'd sure feel better if we could recheck it before then, but that's not my decision to make.

My blood pressure was up a little. The first time the nurse took it it was 170/something... then she took it immediate again before the cuff even fully deflated. I'm not a medical professional, of course, but I know enough to know that if you immediately retake a blood pressure like that it will always be lower due to compression. Sort of nursing 101 that you aren't supposed to do that, right? Anyway, the retake came back 155/90. 24-hour protein was a up a bit, but not dramatically so. But my protein dip was the highest it's been all pregnancy, and my swelling has increased a lot in the last day or two and I gained 4 lbs since yesterday, so I am getting paranoid about pre-eclampsia showing up in full force.

Now I say all of this and it sounds like I want to deliver right away. I don't... mostly because I still have this awful cough. But I do wish they were keeping a closer eye on the amniotic fluid, and I do worry a bit about my blood pressure. I totally get that it's a balancing act of buying more time for the baby to grow in the womb versus delivering her before things go to *... but I guess I don't agree that going to 39+ weeks is advantageous to either me or the baby in the situation. It's just more time for the fluid to drop and more time for my pre-e to get out of control. *sigh* But, again, I'd really like to at least wait until I am over this cold, so I don't want an immediate delivery. But maybe at 38 weeks instead of 39 would be wise...

I know everything will be just fine... but given my past experience, I guess feeling anxiety at this point in the pregnancy is kind of inevitable.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 19, 638924 6:43 pm

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm going in to the doctor this morning for an appointment and an NST. I dipped +2 with my first morning urine - I almost always get trace with first morning pee and +1 in the afternoon... so I think my protein is rising. I should be getting 24-hour urine results today as well.

I am really suspecting that the doctor will want to move to deliver a bit earlier than planned - between the borderline low fluid and the increasing protein. Why wait? I'm 37 weeks and 3 days now.

I will say, though, that I hope we can put off delivery for at least a few days, if not a week. I have a HORRIBLE cough. I'm up all night with it. Great time to get a cold, right? I just can't imagine recovering from a c-section with this cough. Yikes! So I hope we don't go to 39 weeks at this point, but i do hope I have at least some time to get over this cough first too!

threesparkles

Postby threesparkles » Sat Feb 19, 638924 4:27 pm

My fluid level was at a 5 with Levi, and they delivered the next day. I was having contractions, and he was having serious heart dips during them throughout the night, though. I think that contributed.

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Sat Feb 19, 638924 12:47 pm

I had 5.4 with Kyndall and they admitted me to the hospital. They got the fluid back up to 10.2, but said usually when the fluid goes down like that it's time for the baby to come out. I was in the hospital for three days, got steroid shots, and delivered her at 36w3d.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Tue Feb 08, 638924 9:18 pm

From what I understand 5 is very low & 3 is where they get really concerned. I hope you get some answers on what they are waiting for tomorrow!! 37 weeks+ seems like a great place to just go ahead & deliver you!!

Low fluid - how low is too low?

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 08, 638924 4:33 pm

I'm still so confused over this fluid issue. Last week I had a BPP that showed around 3 AFI. The next day I had one that showed 16 (or so) AFI. Today I had one that shows 6.1 AFI, with the largest "pocket" being 2 cm.

The tech was sure the second BPP was in error and there was NO WAY I ever had 16 cm. I trust this tech because she has literally been doing OB ultrasounds since the technology became available - she seems very competent and knowledgeable.

I didn't see my doctor today, nor have I talked with her. I have an NST and appointment scheduled for tomorrow.

So my question.... Is a 6.1 AFI good enough? The tech said it is low, but the baby looks good. Should I expect that they'll want to deliver me soon based on this?

I'm 37 weeks and a few days now. I haven't gotten my last 24-hour results, but BP is pretty good and last jug was only borderline (420).

Return to “Ask the Experienced”