Do any chronics HTN patients not get PE?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
threesparkles

Re : Do any chronics HTN patients not get PE?

Postby threesparkles » Sat Aug 10, 638926 4:20 pm

I had it B-A-D with my 1st, and not at all with my 2nd -- although he was delivered early due to low amniotic fluid. I'm not sure if that meant PE was imminent or not?

The differences:
* I stayed on Atenolol with #2, instead of being switched to Aldomet (#1).
* I added folgard and LDA with #2 prior to conception and throughout pregnancy-- didn't take it at all with #1.
* An MFM was on board with #2 -- didn't see him until 1 day before #1 was born.

**I should note that I had testing for blood clotting issues after having #1, which is why Folgard and LDA were introduced prior to #2's conception.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jul 31, 638926 9:06 am

Technically I think the odds of any chronic developing preeclampsia are 25%, or 1 in 4.

Some get it every time, though, and some don't get it in any pregnancies at all.

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Wed Jul 31, 638926 4:05 am

I should not that this pregnancy was the first I was labeled chronic because my bp was high in the first trimester. Not sure if it would have been different if I had high blood pressure before the pregnancy.

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Wed Jul 31, 638926 4:03 am

I didn't get it this time. I was induced at 37 weeks as a precaution and because my bp were high and I was having headaches and visual issues, but I never got protein.

Really I just had a 24 hour taken each trimester, and 4 24 hours taken in the last trimester. Dr saw me every two weeks just about from 20 weeks, and every week from 33 weeks on. At 33 weeks I was put on bed rest. Hospitalized a couple of times to monitor bp and take blood work.

Really though the pregnancy went well and I was induced at 37 weeks on Magnesium. That is about it. Baby was a healthy 8lber and at 3 months is doing great!

mom29

Postby mom29 » Tue Jul 30, 638926 9:03 pm

I was okay during my last pregnancy, in fact I went completely off the labetalol in my last trimester. Bp went right back up after I delivered though.

veronica44

Do any chronics HTN patients not get PE?

Postby veronica44 » Tue Jul 30, 638926 7:41 pm

I am wondering - have any of you chronic hypertensives with a previous PE history manage to avoid PE in a subsequent pregnancy? If so, what kind of treatment did you receive during pregnancy?

Thanks for any replies.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”