How many C-SECTIONS have you had?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : How many C-SECTIONS have you had?

Postby jshell4871 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 01:47 pm

Hi I have had 7 c-sections and I am pregnant with #8. Babies # 2 and 3 were failed VBACs, I just dont go into labor for anything. My OB who I have used for all my babies is finally starting to say I am about to the end of what I can do. He isn't pushing at all for me to get my tubes tied just that I might want to think about it. He always informs me of the risks and gives me real statistics ( I have had a MFM just throw out stuff to scare DH into a vasectomy-see my signature) and lets me decide. I have not had any complications that were c-section related only pre-e/eclampsia related.

Postby muddmomma2 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 09:19 pm

Thanks you everyone for all of your relplies! We are still undecided as to what we plan to do. Alot of it just depends on how this pregnancy turns out...if I make it far enough and do not have complications as wih my 1st pregnancy then it could be a possiblility that we try for more. If not...who knows! Reading all of these replies is very insightful and it is very incouraging in many ways:) I apprecitae everyone's replies..including the ones with good and the not so good thanks again! I like to just know how things have gone for others...and of course we are all different, but it is still nice to just KNOW! Feel free to keep the replies is a very interesting topic! Congrats to everyone who have had successful c-sections and good luck to all who plan to have more!

Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 06:14 pm

I agree with your MFM *and* your OB. :) The thing about this is that there's a bell curve normal distribution -- ALERT, ALERT, TOO MUCH MATH -- and on average women fall into the group where they get around 2 or 3 Caesareans before the scar tissue becomes really problematic. Some women can have far more than that, some women far less.

As Catherine says, it can hinge more on how well your body is able to recover from pregnancy than on the skill of the surgeon. Some of us with really rugged difficult recoveries probably have compromised scar tissue that can't take much strain at all, which makes this very much an individual problem to be solved in concert with your care team.

Postby dodson_clan_5 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 05:20 pm

WOW! As I was reading the above post...AMAZING!!! Congratulations amd you and your family are in my prayers!!! My OB also tried to get me to tie my tubes after #3. It's so permanant and with the right doctor and the right care, I know I can have 2 more (the 2 more that will complete our family)!!!

Postby shellymoe » Sat Apr 24, 2010 00:50 am

I have had 4 c-sections and my 5th is planned for the last week in July. One of my OB's did tell me that the risks do go up signficantly for things like uterine rupture after the 4th. However, I've also been told that with the 2 incisions I have (they used each one twice so far), I have very little scar tissue and while my uterine wall is a little thin, it's not bad at all. I saw her for the first time during this pregnancy on Wednesday for my regular pre-natal appointment and she quickly brought up sterilization. I told her it wasn't an option and she seemed pretty cool about it, but still warned me of the increased risks.

I have 2 years & 3 months between sections #1 and #2. After losing a 4 year battle with secondary infertility, giving up, having gastric bypass, a total hip replacement & starting college at age 30, our 3rd c-section came 8 years & 6 weeks later. C-section #4 came 16 months later. The time between sections #4 & #5 should be 2 years & 5 months.

Over all, I had a bad experience with an epidural with #2, so I only do spinals now. With #4, my incision opened 6 days post-op, but I am known for being a poor healer & it's not the first incision I've had open up on me (but it is the only c-section incision to do so). Besides those 2 instances, all 4 have been great and the healing time seems to get shorter and easier.

To date, I have not had any complications during a pregnancy or with my body due to the number of sections I've had. I really don't worry about complications because my OB's have done such a great job on the previous sections.

Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:50 pm

Not to be a huge negative nelly but I had two C-sections and it was abundantly clear at the second that my uterine scar from the first was NOT holding up well in the context of labor. Admittedly, I had to have additional abdominal surgery after the first section because of issues related to my HELLP syndrome, mostly leaking from vessels not tied up adequately in the context of someone who had lost the ability to clot, but my understanding was that they hadn't had to fool with the work performed on my uterus. I guess that my healing had been somewhat compromised in the subsequent days. It certainly worked well enough to hold the baby in to almost 36 weeks when my membranes ruptured and I started to labor spontaneously but I doubt that it would have hung on if I'd pushed for a serious attempt to VBAC (tentative plan lightly discussed with MFM a day before.... don't wait until the last minute to really get this stuff on the table so to speak... or you will be on the table having that conversation... with an unenthusiatic and less qualified [yet very competent.. no dis intended] chief resident). So, there was significant celebration by all present when they tied my tubes as it seemed abundantly clear that reproductively speaking, my upper genital tract was giving up.

Postby patty » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:16 pm

I have had 4 c-sections. They were pretty complication free but I had one that had to be packed (the second). I meet a lady at the peri's office who had just had her 7th section and I believe Ethel Kennedy had 10+ c-sections.

Postby angieb » Fri Apr 23, 2010 04:53 pm

I still want 3 more kids so I'm planning to go for 4. That kind of depends on how my next pregnancy (when/if I ever get pregnant) goes, though.

I probably won't listen much if my obgyn or MFM tells me to stop at 3 unless they can give me some pretty compelling reasons, but we really haven't discussed it that much yet.

Postby alisonlbewley » Fri Apr 23, 2010 04:40 pm

I've had 2 C-Sections already and will be getting my third in September. The first went wonderfully and I healed well.

The second went well and it took a little more time but I'm just fine now.

My second was born when my first was 16 months and my third will be born when my second is 14 months.

My OB has looked at my scar and said everything looks good- just have to make sure we schedule the surgery so the chance of uterine rupture from labor isn't there.

My OB hasn't limited me even though my kids are so close together. I think I will have a fourth and then stop.

I think it may depend on the woman how many surgeries she can have however I've hear of some women having 5 or 6. Just make sure you learn the risks of repeat c sections and find out how you would feel about them if they happened to you.

Postby katznkt » Fri Apr 23, 2010 04:35 pm

I guess it depends on if you can try a v-bac. Look at 19 kids and counting she has had a couple of c-sections, but because of v-bacs she has had 19 kids!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”