Eclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jamilyn

Re: Eclampsia

Postby jamilyn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 09:52 pm

My 1st pregnancy I had Severe Pre-Eclampsia diagnosed at 26 weeks and was admitted into the hospital till delivery. At 27 weeks I woke up early in the morning and had an Eclamptic Seizure within 20 minutes. I have never made it past 35 weeks and all 3 of my deliveries have been C-Sections so I'm not sure what would have happened if I would've made it to delivery.
Jamilyn
Mommys Angel - Dallin : October 9 - 16, born at 27 weeks due to Eclamptic Seizure and HELLP
Miracle Boy - Stratton : April 27, born at 35 weeks due to Pre-Eclampsia, 11 days in the NICU
Mommys 2nd Angel - Anthon : Born into the Arms of Angels on November 12, at 25 weeks gestation due to a Complete Placental Abruption. Diagnosed with HELLP & Severe Pre-Eclampsia

www.2angelsandamiracle.blogspot.com
www.laneeslegacy.blogspot.com

michelarea

Postby michelarea » Sat Feb 12, 2011 01:09 pm

During my first pregnancy altough my bp raised at 27 weeks (it wasn't extremely high, around 90/130) and we discovered at that stage that my daughter was already IUGR, they started monitoring me very closely and, I think, in a very professional way (weekly growth scans, NST, blood analysis) but they didn't officially diagnose me with preeclampsia (I didn't have protein in the urine) and they were expecting my disease to hit more the baby than the mother. So it was quite a surprise when at 32+3 hellp arose in a very sudden way. Luckily I was already at the hospital because fetal dopplers and indicators were already bad so they were waiting to make me deliver in a few days. My hellp was pretty serious, I think class II, but I did recover very quickly, at least in terms of labs

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 07:41 pm

My immune system is a little weaker, I catch more colds. Other then that things are good. We did get pregnant this summer, but found out at 11 1/2 weeks that I was miscarrying. So I think we will try again this next summer and hope for the best. It is so hard because the doctors aren't sure what to tell me. I knew the symptoms and was in the hospital and we still had almost no warning or sign PE/Hellp was coming. But even on here I think that I am one of the rarer cases.

My first was 14 months old
Brianna Charm Bell 1/23/2005 33weeks 3 pounds 3 ounces - Severe PE
Chance Bell 23 weeks 9/21/2006 1 pound 6.5 ounces - Eclampsia, HELLP (passed 27 days)
Natasha Faith Bell 9/5/2008 adopted 12/23/2011
Baby Bell miscarriage 12 weeks
Baby Bell due 12/28/2012
Foster Parents of many other wonderful children

jean

Postby jean » Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:40 am

sckitzo, is your body now ok after going through all of that? It is so scary :( Just out of curiosity, how long did you wait to get pg again after your 1st?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 09:53 pm

Like Caryn said "Eclampsia is not terribly predictable". I am proof of that, I am the one who seems to mess up all the statistics.

I developed severe PE with my daughter, my blood work was horrible, my kidneys and liver were shutting down, tons of protein. They decided to induce me at 33 weeks, and put me on mag sulfate. About the time I delivered my BP was 230/160, but soon after delivery I improved greatly and was released 4 days later.

Flash forward to my second pregnancy, I knew the signs and symptoms, I was watching for PE and so were me doctors. At 23 weeks I was feeling off, and had a slight headache. I was begged to be put into the hospital, because I was just so worried about getting PE again, my protein in my urine was a +2, so they kept me for observation. Three days later, my protein had come down, my bp was normal, all my blood work was normal so they were going to release me the next morning, and check in with my dr the next Monday. Well I got a headache at 4:20 am and my Bp was rising slightly. Pain meds weren't helping my headache. At 9:20 my BP was 135/85 up from my normal of 100/60-70. At 9:30 I had 3 grand mal seizures. Followed by an emergency C section. Five days later, I got pp PE, and had a mini stroke.

So who knows, I wish we could have predicted this, but we can't yet.
Brianna Charm Bell 1/23/2005 33weeks 3 pounds 3 ounces - Severe PE
Chance Bell 23 weeks 9/21/2006 1 pound 6.5 ounces - Eclampsia, HELLP (passed 27 days)
Natasha Faith Bell 9/5/2008 adopted 12/23/2011
Baby Bell miscarriage 12 weeks
Baby Bell due 12/28/2012
Foster Parents of many other wonderful children

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Sun Feb 06, 2011 09:49 am

Caryn great explanation!!
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 01:56 pm

Realistically, with great high risk doctors, the risk you are running is likely less than the risk you run by driving to the hospital. They will generally watch you like a hawk and deliver before you get sick enough to be worrisome - and get paid the big bucks to balance the risks to you with the risks to the baby of a preterm delivery.

Without treatment, these conditions are definitely killers, and worldwide they are substantial contributors to maternal mortality, which is still far too high. This is interesting reading: http://www.who.int/topics/millennium_de ... index.html

Eclampsia is not terribly predictable, and as everyone's said doesn't move in lockstep with blood pressure. The symptoms of hypertensive pregnancy appear when your body "decompensates"; we can tolerate being pregnant, even with a crappy placenta, right up to the place where something breaks. *What* breaks varies a lot from pregnancy to pregnancy and from woman to woman. So some people seize first, and some people have kidneys of steel but have a stroke, and some people have gawdawful kidney numbers but the baby's doing fine...

One of the only commonalities is that, almost always, blood pressure rises first. But not always, and not always to the research definition, and not always high enough for a diagnosis. This is why the research community has spent the better part of the last decade trying to develop a screening test from the data showing a very strong connection between elevated levels of two biochemical markers, and preeclampsia/eclampsia/HELLP.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

vit9109

Postby vit9109 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:18 am

This very topic has raised my concerns. The more I research about pre-e/e the more questions I have. And the very questions that you posted was what I wondering also. I was very nervous when I came across postings of women reporting that they had seizures with BP's in the 130-140's or 160's.

So I called the MFM's office yesterday and spoke with them about Eclampsia. She said to me that it is solely not a BP thing. The number of your BP is not the only component in having seizures. She said to me that it comes from the metabolic changes that occur with your body because of pre-e and that is what contributes to possibly developing pre-e. She mentioned the liver changes, protein in urine, hyperflexia, etc. It does not solely rely on the number your BP is at. If you do not have the metabolic changes going on and you have just high BP that you would not be likely to have a seizure. You have to have that metabolic change to develop eclampsia.

They monitor these metabolic changes through blood work and urines. Hope this helps!! I will be interested to hear what others report on this issue!!!

jean

Postby jean » Thu Feb 03, 2011 07:41 pm

I am interested in answers to some of those questions too.
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 02:36 pm

Also is it better to have a c-section then to be induced into labor. Or does a c-section cause the same stress on the body.
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09

Return to “Ask the Experienced”