Is anyone checking the boards today? Please help if you can.

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re: Is anyone checking the boards today? Please help if you

Postby blythe » Wed May 30, 639246 8:13 am

I'm glad you got monitoring and labs and call-in instructions set up!

Thanks so much for checking in and letting us know you're okay!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Wed Feb 17, 639244 6:20 am

I'm not in L&D!! I'm so sorry if you guys were worried. I've just been taking care of my husband (knee surgery) and trying to stay chill.

I went to the doctor on Monday and my pressure was 130/80. Not great, but not alarming, either. The doctor is having me do a 24 hour urine this weekend, bloodwork on Monday, and having me keep a BP log every day until my uber ultrasound appointment on May 10 (20 weeks), with instructions to call if I get two over 140/90, and to go to L&D if I get anything over 150/100. So far the numbers have been taunting me: 139/89. 138/88. (I think my home unit has a sense of humor.)

So we'll see what happens. I will definitely keep checking the boards. When I saw you guys were concerned, I actually got a little teary. You guys saved my life the first time around (literally!!), and now you're here for me again.

Okay, now I really am crying. I love you all! Thank you so much!
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)
http://www.brigidkemmerer.com

danielsmom

Postby danielsmom » Thu Feb 04, 639244 3:46 am

I bet she's in L&D... hope everything's ok.
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jan 24, 639244 2:23 pm

I remember you! You were the one with the doc who said, oh, over 500 mg of proteinuria is normal, go home!

Usually in a subsequent pregnancy it's unmasked chronic hypertension that causes pressure elevations this early. What did your doc say?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Sun Jan 24, 639244 12:21 am

Omg, it's all in your head? Thank God you went in for a second opinion! Wow, just wow....
Any update???? I'm anxious to hear what your doc said! Oh, and how did your hubby's surgery go?
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat Jan 02, 639244 6:34 pm

I'm glad you're going in to be seen. I'm not sure what they can do this early except watch you closely and possibly use bp meds. They have to be careful about meds because decreasing your bp can interfere with blood flow to the baby. I'd ask what bps numbers and other symptoms they want you to watch for, when you should call, and when you should just go directly to the hospital. If they don't prescribe meds, I'd also ask at what numbers they'd consider the benefits to you would outweigh the risks to the baby and would reconsider medicating. Good luck and let us know what they say!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Sat Jan 02, 639244 9:17 am

So I have an appointment tomorrow morning, at 8:45am. They wanted me to come in immediately, this morning, but my husband was having surgery today, so I just couldn't do it. I went to the local CVS a few minutes ago and used their machine to take my blood pressure, just in case my home one is off kilter. (It's four years old.) According to the machine at the drugstore, the BP was exactly 140/90. *sigh*

I'm scared to visit the doctor tomorrow. What are they going to do this early?
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)

miamibunnie

Postby miamibunnie » Fri Jan 01, 639244 11:03 am

I am one of those pts that I will check my bp like 3 times and if I feel sick regardless I will call labor and delivery. After what I went through last year....Hope everything is ok and plz keep us posted.
Lisette 37 Hubby 37
Lisette 36 / Luis 36
1996 25 weeker due to Eclampsia with seizures daughter alive today 15 yrs old " Julyzah Caridad"
2010 23 weeker due to severe preeclampsia my angel left us

2011/27/July we beat preeclampsia and made it to 36.5 weeks 6lbs 1oz baby girl "Kendall Lauren " pe-free just bp started acting up.
Thanks to God, my doctor, Lovenox and Lda.

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Fri Jan 01, 639244 2:48 am

Thanks for all the help, guys!!

My BP last night, after lying on the couch dozing for an hour, went to 135/85. It was the same this morning. I'm going to call my doctor's office as soon as they open and see what I want to do. I feel like an idiot, because I cancelled my 18 week appointment (which would have been tomorrow), because they have me scheduled for a 20 week appointment where they're going to do the big ultrasound. I didn't see the need for three appointments so close together (18, 20, and 22 weeks), and now I'm feeling like a total moron.

In my last pregnancy, I started with the high BP and serious swelling at 24 weeks, but my doctor didn't want to acknowledge the signs. Once I was in L&D at 30 weeks, and they started to induce labor, and my OB stopped them. He said it was all in my head, that my mother was stressing me out. When I went to his office for another visit, my mom (an RN) went with me. She watched the nurse take my BP and tell me it was completely normal -- after I'd had my mom take it right before the visit, and it was really high. Basically, the doctor's nurse lied. I finally went and got a second opinion from a high risk OB. That doctor admitted me to the hospital immediately, and induced labor the next day. I was lucky -- on admission, my BP was 195/100. I had no idea that people can have strokes and stuff at that point. The swelling was so bad that when the anesthesiologist was starting the epidural, he said that there was a 50/50 risk of hitting the spinal cord, and he wanted me to be aware of the risk, and to hold absolutely still. Scariest day ever. Nick was born at 5lbs. and spent 8 days in the NICU. He's an amazingly huge kid now, and he'll be 4 years old on May 4!!

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks, guys. I'll call this morning. I promise.
Brigid Kemmerer

christina89

Postby christina89 » Tue Dec 22, 639243 9:30 am

Hey. I'm one of those rare cases. I got sick at 18 weeks. I'm from a small area of canada so they didn't know right away what was wrong. But I'm also again 18 weeks again with my second and I'm worried too. But in my past experience I would be calling my dr asap. It is possible to get pe before 20 weeks although it is rare. In this pregnancy my bp went up when I was just pregnant and I was having terrible headaches went in and my bp was 145 over 90 and all it took was a med adjustment and my headaches went away. And my bp went down. I have had about 5 or 6 med adjustments since the start of this pregnancy. So I would go in. Just in case its always better to be safe especially with pe. I hope its a easy fix and you have many many more weeks of being healthy pregnant. Keep us updated!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”