Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Has anyone ever had severe PE twice in a row?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Has anyone ever had severe PE twice in a row?

Postby flori » Wed Jun 29, 2011 00:48 am

by flori (225 Posts), Wed Jun 29, 2011 00:48 am

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I have been thinking about this recently. Has anyone ever had severe PE in two subsequent pregnancies? I have seen several threads regarding success after a PE pregnancy, but none the other way around. I am especially curious about severe PE in a pregnancy following a loss.

If anyone has any stories about friends/acquaintances/relatives, I'd like to hear those too.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Re: Has anyone ever had severe PE twice in a row?

Postby caryn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:25 am

by caryn (10159 Posts), Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:25 am

I've no personal experience, but we have had many, many posters with severe PE in two pregnancies, or PE after a loss. Fiona, schizo, laura, jenn, jamilyn are just a few names that leap to mind - when the forum transferred over, we lost the .sig files from the older posts.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby lola1971 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:03 am

by lola1971 (174 Posts), Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:03 am

Yes- I had it twice...not only that I had PE with HELLP each time. The second time was slightly less severe and I lasted a little longer pg and my beautiful DD was born. She is almost 2 and is perfect!

The main thing I did different with my 2nd pg was working directly with the MFM at the beginning of the pg. In fact, I wasn't under the care of the ob/gyn but only the MFM and his office the whole time (for the 2nd pg). He is the reason my DD is here and why I made it alive both times. The first time, I was under the care of the ob/gyn only and the MFM was consulted once I got really sick with PE/HELLP.

Since I've had it so bad both times, I think the odds are I would have some form of it again if I decide to go for a 3rd. I am pretty freaked by all that what happened that we may stop with our DD. Good luck to you....
Mom to a sleeping angel born and said goodbye in July 2008 at 23 weeks due to severe PE and Class 1 HELLP. Mom to a tiny but mighty girl born in July 2009 at 28 weeks & 5 days due to severe PE and Class 2 HELLP. She is happy and healthy!
lola1971

Postby cmccaffrey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 03:07 pm

by cmccaffrey (458 Posts), Wed Jun 29, 2011 03:07 pm

lola, were you on any medications in your second pregnancy that might have helped you to get further along, or do you attribute everything to getting better prenatal care?
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby lola1971 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 03:57 pm

by lola1971 (174 Posts), Wed Jun 29, 2011 03:57 pm

Christa, I think it was a combo of both. With the 2nd, I started with LDA very early pg per my MFM recommendation. Then around the 22 weeks or so, I went on procardia since my bp was starting to creep up. Then around 26 weeks, I was hospitalized and put on bed rest until delivery because I was starting to spill protein and bp was starting to go up. In the hospital, they gave me steriods for the baby and then gave me doses of Labetetol and increased my procardia to control the bp. When I finally delivered, they couldn't hold off anymore because my protein got to 10,000. Yes, 10,000- crazy...I know..it got that high that fast and of course my platelets were dropping.

I am just not a baby making machine...my body goes haywire when I am pg....and only an expert like a MFM can help manage something like this.

With the 1st pg, although ob/gyn had PE experience, she had never seen it so severe and so early before. My MFM finally told me after all said and done...I was in the top 5 worst cases he's ever seen in his career. Great, huh...
Good luck and many blessings to you...feel free to ask me any questions.
Mom to a sleeping angel born and said goodbye in July 2008 at 23 weeks due to severe PE and Class 1 HELLP. Mom to a tiny but mighty girl born in July 2009 at 28 weeks & 5 days due to severe PE and Class 2 HELLP. She is happy and healthy!
lola1971

Postby flori » Wed Jun 29, 2011 06:31 pm

by flori (225 Posts), Wed Jun 29, 2011 06:31 pm

After losing my daughter I searched for only happy endings and found them, but now the other part of me wants to know the other side of the coin, so to speak. I searched and found one older thread about a poster who lost her firstborn and then got pregnant again- only to develop PE again, have another early baby and eventually lose him to NEC. It's very difficult and eye-opening to read things like that.. I felt that since I already lost my daughter, there's no way the universe would let it happen again. But it can.

It's so scary sometimes, I'm finding myself having a hard time muddling through all of it.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Postby caryn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:54 pm

by caryn (10159 Posts), Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:54 pm

I just said this on another thread, but: second pregnancies are usually much milder and later onset if PE does occur. The "later onset" part is probably because your spiral arteries were remodeled by the first placenta, which makes it much easier for later placentas to implant deeply. The "milder" part is because you're aware of yourself and know what can happen - which means you don't get anywhere near as sick before delivery.

But there are no guarantees, just odds. Then again, there are no guarantees that you won't be in a car wreck when you drive your car to the grocery.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby amandamm » Thu Jun 30, 2011 07:38 am

by amandamm (173 Posts), Thu Jun 30, 2011 07:38 am

I had it twice. They weren't "in a row" pregnancies, because I had two miscarriages in between. My second time was less severe. I still had to be induced, but I made it to 37 weeks.

I can't remember her screen name, yukon something, had a loss and then went on to make it 35 weeks, I believe, with her daughter.
Mom to Addie & Evie, Pre-E x2 (34w6d & 37w2d)
due December 28, 2011!
In our hearts forever: missed miscarriage @ 10 weeks (July 2008) & miscarriage at 7 weeks (February 2009)

Addie Lu & Evie Too ~ Deda's Little Duds
amandamm

Postby alexis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 09:34 am

by alexis (305 Posts), Thu Jun 30, 2011 09:34 am

I also know someone who had superimposed PE with #1 (Can't remember when she started to spill--delivery at 35w), PE-free #2 (delivered at 40+), and went and had superimposed PE at 35 weeks again with #3. That is supposed to be rare, though I don't know if it's more common with underlying chronic HTN than straight PE.

I found that somehow more depressing because it meant I could never really hope for a normal pregnancy. She and I had our first babies at around the same time, and her good 2nd pregnancy made me think I could do it too.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby flori » Thu Jun 30, 2011 02:07 pm

by flori (225 Posts), Thu Jun 30, 2011 02:07 pm

Caryn, what are you thoughts on the "two year window" regarding the remodeling of spiral arteries? I am overweight and my husband and I have decided that I should try to get closer to an ideal BMI for my height, which will also hopefully help lower my blood pressure to a normal range without medication/with less medication.

I am dieting and losing weight, albeit slowly(!) but I am worried that I won't make that window and the benefits of having been pregnant before will be for nothing. :( I sometimes try to coax him into letting us try again sooner than later, but he is adamant. I suppose it's for the best, but I just don't want the window to close on us.
Flori, 30
flori

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced