Has anyone ever had severe PE twice in a row?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Has anyone ever had severe PE twice in a row?

Postby caryn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 01:05 pm

Eh. The idea of a "two year window" isn't really well-confirmed. It's true enough that the spiral arteries are remodeled - stretched out by trophoblastic cells - after a pregnancy and that this likely makes implantation of subsequent placentas into that same spot easier. There's some discussion of this in the New Yorker article about Karumanchi's research. It's probably why subsequent babies tend to be larger. And it's true enough that more closely-spaced pregnancies seem to have a lower risk of preeclampsia. But I wouldn't fixate on the idea that it must be within precisely two years Or Else. There's a vast amount of individual variation and recurrence risk depends a lot more on some other factors that are entirely out of your control, like your underlying disorders (if you have them) or a possible genetic mismatch between yourself and your partner that makes implantation more difficult.

I do think that subsequent pregnancies are much less likely to be PE pregnancies regardless of what you might do to improve your odds, because that's what the data says happens :D but I bet for some women it's more like 7 years and for some it might not provide any benefit at all.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

miamibunnie

Postby miamibunnie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 04:05 pm

One of the doctors at my job that is a Vascular Surgeon ...suggested I get pregnant right away...he figure that my body hormones were still there....but my dr tells me not really PE may be a problem with implantation....she said that she has had pts take calcium and lovenox and have a succes. When she requested my pathology report there were clots in my placenta...she told me that every pregnancy is different... All know is that she is a great dr..she ran all sorts of labs on me and found defirncys in vitamine D and and in a ddition that I have sickle cell my blood tends to clot. Hopefully...I can continue this way....without PE. Regarding that article I read it too.
Lisette 37 Hubby 37
Lisette 36 / Luis 36
1996 25 weeker due to Eclampsia with seizures daughter alive today 15 yrs old " Julyzah Caridad"
2010 23 weeker due to severe preeclampsia my angel left us

2011/27/July we beat preeclampsia and made it to 36.5 weeks 6lbs 1oz baby girl "Kendall Lauren " pe-free just bp started acting up.
Thanks to God, my doctor, Lovenox and Lda.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Lisette, have your docs said anything about the spacing between your first and second pregnancies possibly contributing to your PE last time?

The New Yorker article in my .sig talks about the expansion of the spiral arteries as something that reverts back to normal with time - they use the example of a stretched-out pair of pantyhose. I'm wondering if this third pregnancy is benefiting from the remodeling done in your last pregnancy...
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

miamibunnie

Postby miamibunnie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 09:27 pm

Hi I had PE twice the first time was in 1996 and it was eclampsia which mean with a seizure, my daughter was born at 25 weeks....I was so scared of getting pregnant after that....it took me 14 yrs to try again....and guess what it came back but this time my baby past away at 23 wks last yr due to severe PE was very sick.

This 3rd time around I said I would try again and thanks god that today I am 34 weeks and had no problems so far. I did a whole bunch of labs to see if I had a defiency and found out my vitamine D was super super low....This will be my first full term baby god willing if I can make it to 37 weeks. I am also on lovenox although I dont have a clotting issue and also on baby aspirin.

I am so happy but at the same time cant believe it that I made it this far.
Lisette 37 Hubby 37
Lisette 36 / Luis 36
1996 25 weeker due to Eclampsia with seizures daughter alive today 15 yrs old " Julyzah Caridad"
2010 23 weeker due to severe preeclampsia my angel left us

2011/27/July we beat preeclampsia and made it to 36.5 weeks 6lbs 1oz baby girl "Kendall Lauren " pe-free just bp started acting up.
Thanks to God, my doctor, Lovenox and Lda.

flori

Postby flori » Thu Jun 30, 2011 02:07 pm

Caryn, what are you thoughts on the "two year window" regarding the remodeling of spiral arteries? I am overweight and my husband and I have decided that I should try to get closer to an ideal BMI for my height, which will also hopefully help lower my blood pressure to a normal range without medication/with less medication.

I am dieting and losing weight, albeit slowly(!) but I am worried that I won't make that window and the benefits of having been pregnant before will be for nothing. :( I sometimes try to coax him into letting us try again sooner than later, but he is adamant. I suppose it's for the best, but I just don't want the window to close on us.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 09:34 am

I also know someone who had superimposed PE with #1 (Can't remember when she started to spill--delivery at 35w), PE-free #2 (delivered at 40+), and went and had superimposed PE at 35 weeks again with #3. That is supposed to be rare, though I don't know if it's more common with underlying chronic HTN than straight PE.

I found that somehow more depressing because it meant I could never really hope for a normal pregnancy. She and I had our first babies at around the same time, and her good 2nd pregnancy made me think I could do it too.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

amandamm

Postby amandamm » Thu Jun 30, 2011 07:38 am

I had it twice. They weren't "in a row" pregnancies, because I had two miscarriages in between. My second time was less severe. I still had to be induced, but I made it to 37 weeks.

I can't remember her screen name, yukon something, had a loss and then went on to make it 35 weeks, I believe, with her daughter.
Mom to Addie & Evie, Pre-E x2 (34w6d & 37w2d)
due December 28, 2011!
In our hearts forever: missed miscarriage @ 10 weeks (July 2008) & miscarriage at 7 weeks (February 2009)

Addie Lu & Evie Too ~ Deda's Little Duds

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:54 pm

I just said this on another thread, but: second pregnancies are usually much milder and later onset if PE does occur. The "later onset" part is probably because your spiral arteries were remodeled by the first placenta, which makes it much easier for later placentas to implant deeply. The "milder" part is because you're aware of yourself and know what can happen - which means you don't get anywhere near as sick before delivery.

But there are no guarantees, just odds. Then again, there are no guarantees that you won't be in a car wreck when you drive your car to the grocery.

flori

Postby flori » Wed Jun 29, 2011 06:31 pm

After losing my daughter I searched for only happy endings and found them, but now the other part of me wants to know the other side of the coin, so to speak. I searched and found one older thread about a poster who lost her firstborn and then got pregnant again- only to develop PE again, have another early baby and eventually lose him to NEC. It's very difficult and eye-opening to read things like that.. I felt that since I already lost my daughter, there's no way the universe would let it happen again. But it can.

It's so scary sometimes, I'm finding myself having a hard time muddling through all of it.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.

lola1971

Postby lola1971 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 03:57 pm

Christa, I think it was a combo of both. With the 2nd, I started with LDA very early pg per my MFM recommendation. Then around the 22 weeks or so, I went on procardia since my bp was starting to creep up. Then around 26 weeks, I was hospitalized and put on bed rest until delivery because I was starting to spill protein and bp was starting to go up. In the hospital, they gave me steriods for the baby and then gave me doses of Labetetol and increased my procardia to control the bp. When I finally delivered, they couldn't hold off anymore because my protein got to 10,000. Yes, 10,000- crazy...I know..it got that high that fast and of course my platelets were dropping.

I am just not a baby making machine...my body goes haywire when I am pg....and only an expert like a MFM can help manage something like this.

With the 1st pg, although ob/gyn had PE experience, she had never seen it so severe and so early before. My MFM finally told me after all said and done...I was in the top 5 worst cases he's ever seen in his career. Great, huh...
Good luck and many blessings to you...feel free to ask me any questions.
Mom to a sleeping angel born and said goodbye in July 2008 at 23 weeks due to severe PE and Class 1 HELLP. Mom to a tiny but mighty girl born in July 2009 at 28 weeks & 5 days due to severe PE and Class 2 HELLP. She is happy and healthy!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”