Question for C-section moms

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Re: Question for C-section moms

Postby alexis » Thu Jan 23, 639253 4:28 pm

My incision separated, infected, and had to be patched with Surgi-Strips. This happened more quickly after surgery, though, I had it patched a week later. I had to sit there holding my stomach to get the incision aired so it would dry.

I had a very difficult incision, however, which made my current OB wince when she saw it--I carry my weight in my stomach and you didn't need an MD to know that I was going to have a serious flap problem after surgery. The surgeon placed the incision at the absolute worst position (imagine a V, with the incision at the point).
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Sun Jan 12, 639253 9:16 pm

I had steri strips and dissolvable stitches. I went back to my peri several times after delivery due to bp issues and about two weeks ago they did an insicion check and found I had a yeast infection at the site due to its location under my tummy. My doctor cleaned it and instructed me how to clean it and keep it dry. I had an open area a few millimeters long. I went back last monday (1 week after she discovered the yeast infection) and she found that the redness had decreased and the open area had closed a bit but not completely. She told me to continue my cleaning regimin and add nystatin cream with a steroid. I go back next week for another insicion check. She says the slow healing is due to the lack of air getting to the site because it is under my belly where I have skin to skin contact. So lots of bandages, airing out, and meds to try to get this thing healed completely. :(
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

angieb

Postby angieb » Sun Jan 12, 639253 6:25 pm

I've had 2, neither of them oozed or bothered me at all-it was def closed by my 2 week incision check appointment. I didn't keep bandages on it beyond the 1st day of recovery when a dr or nurse removed the bandage. I'd give them a call and go in to make sure it isn't infected.
did you have staples or dissolvable stitches? i think that may make a difference- i think stitches are generally better for healing,etc. (i had stitches both times.)

edit to add : i never did anything extra to clean mine beyond washing it in the shower, which was daily the first time around but with our newborn and i struggling to get a handle on breastfeeding, more like weekly :oops: the second time.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Sun Jan 12, 639253 4:15 pm

I was in the hospital several days after delivery, so my incision site was taken care of by nurses. BUT a friend of mine had extra oozing that she was told was normal - unfortunately, it turned into staph infection a week or so later. Now, I don't know how clean she kept it or anything like that. But I would just say make sure it's not turning red and maybe call the OB office and let them know. I wouldn't think it would still be doing that 4 weeks PP, but I really don't know if that's normal or not. do you go back to see the OB at 6 weeks?
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

celticepona

Question for C-section moms

Postby celticepona » Sun Jan 12, 639253 3:57 pm

Although Faith was my third girl she was my first c-section baby. :) How did your insicions heal? I'm 4 weeks postpartum and am still weeping and oozing a little at my insicision site. Unfortunately my insicion is a bikini cut and is located right under my tummy, so there is skin-to skin contact and it is taking a long time to heal. I have been cleaning it several times a day and changing my bandages as well as airing it out as much as I can. I still have some muscle pain up in my abdomen. Faith got stuck during delivery and my doctor had to reach up into my ribcage and push and shove to get her out. I just dont know what to expect and would love to hear your healing stories. :)
Amy. DH Rich.
Emily born 04/01/04 @ 37 weeks. 5.bs 15 oz. Severe PE. Strict leftside bedrest 3 weeks before delivery, 2 weeks postpartum. Postpartum PE.
Isabelle born 04/19/08 @ 37 weeks. 6lbs 9 oz. PE. Under care of high risk peri and bp meds throughout preg.
IT'S A GIRL! Faith Michelle" due 06/18/11. Under care of high risk peri. On Aldomet for bps and antinausea meds.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”