will i get preeclampsia for third time?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
honey

Re: will i get preeclampsia for third time?

Postby honey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 07:44 am

thanks to everyone for their advice,this site is a great and has really helped.good luck nov-mum and amandamm.i see my consultant at 18wks and i expect i'll get extra scans like i did last time.its just worrying because although it was 9yrs ago i had my son treatments dont seem to have come on a lot and i cant stop worrying.

brandib

Postby brandib » Sun Aug 21, 2011 03:39 pm

Wow Laura. What a beautiful and amazing way of saying it. You really hit the nail on the head! That should be published in some preeclampsia pamphlet :0) I was gonna say I managed to get preeclampisa 4 times in a row......but I've brought my baby home all four times.......after Nicu time, but nevertheless, home. Exactly right, we will never get that "perfect" pregnancy, we need to realize how "our" "fancy" pregnancies will be :0) Very well said!

z1ggy23

Postby z1ggy23 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 03:19 pm

When I asked my peri about another pregnancy after three 'high-maintenance' ones- he said, "you've had good outcomes, there's no reason to expect that you wouldn't have another"

So, what I took from that is that I should give up the dream of the 'what to expect' pregnancy and accept what my pregnancies are like. They're full of worry, and monitoring, and lots of doctor visits- but it is worth it in the end.

The best thing you can do right now is find the best possible doc to follow your pregnancy, develop a plan NOW with your doc for how you'll handle things if they start getting scary- does that mean monthly 24 hour urines? NSTs starting at 28 weeks? figure out the best plan of action based on your history, so you know what to expect. That can go a long way to easing your mind, should this pregnancy be a 'fancy' one. And congratulations!
well said!
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w

laura

Postby laura » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:45 am

When I asked my peri about another pregnancy after three 'high-maintenance' ones- he said, "you've had good outcomes, there's no reason to expect that you wouldn't have another"

So, what I took from that is that I should give up the dream of the 'what to expect' pregnancy and accept what my pregnancies are like. They're full of worry, and monitoring, and lots of doctor visits- but it is worth it in the end.

The best thing you can do right now is find the best possible doc to follow your pregnancy, develop a plan NOW with your doc for how you'll handle things if they start getting scary- does that mean monthly 24 hour urines? NSTs starting at 28 weeks? figure out the best plan of action based on your history, so you know what to expect. That can go a long way to easing your mind, should this pregnancy be a 'fancy' one. And congratulations!
Mom to Allie (1998, severe PE)| Camille (2003, oligohydramnios )|the Dude (2007, chronic hypertension)
The Captain is my hero!

amandamm

Postby amandamm » Fri Aug 19, 2011 08:36 am

I have had it twice also. I am currently 21 weeks, so I don't know if I will get it again. I was induced at 35 & 37 weeks previously. Hoping to make it to at least 37.
Mom to Addie & Evie, Pre-E x2 (34w6d & 37w2d)
due December 28, 2011!
In our hearts forever: missed miscarriage @ 10 weeks (July 2008) & miscarriage at 7 weeks (February 2009)

Addie Lu & Evie Too ~ Deda's Little Duds

nov_mum

Postby nov_mum » Wed Aug 17, 2011 06:59 am

Given your history, it is likely. The good news is that you know the symptoms, and you can ensure you have the right team of people looking after you. I had PE in 1st and 2nd pregnancy and was induced at 35 and 38 weeks. This time arounbd I was hoping to follow the later and less severe onset trend but I had a rise in BP at 22weeks. I am now 32 weeks and I am finding it slowly deteriorates. I am having some increased symptoms and protein in my urine now so not great but I am quite positive I will get to 35 weeks again. I hope it all goes well for you

honey

will i get preeclampsia for third time?

Postby honey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 06:29 am

having nearly made it to 12wks my worries have turned to preeclampsia and i really cant find much info.i had it first time at 16 started at 32wks induced at 7 quite mild,at 21 i had it which led to emergency c-section at 32wks.after having it twice i really cant see it not happening again and i'm really worried.we want this baby so much and have had infertility problems so never expected a bfp.any stories or advice would be great.thanks for reading x

Return to “Ask the Experienced”