Questions for near term moms

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
brandib

Re: Questions for near term moms

Postby brandib » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:46 am

Congrats on bringing your litte girl home! Arent' all the " what do I do's?" just wonderful ? LOL I just had my 4th baby almost 4 weeks ago ( already?) Anyways, he was premature and came home at 4lbs 11oz. While in the Nicu he needed the vent a couple days, then cpap, nose canula, and finally, room air. He also had pnemonia and was on some STRONG antibiotics through his IV for 10 days and under the billi lites about 4 days or so.........and when it was time to come home, the doctors told me there were no restrictions. I thought for sure because of the pnemonia at least, he shouldn't be out,but they told me to treat him like any regular baby. I was still hesitant and the doctor said " Go shopping, go to church, do what you gotta do." I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer with me and really, its not like shes gonna be touching anything herself yet lol. Keep him in his seat or one of those wraps and he should be fine. I just had strep throat and my baby never got sick!

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Fri Aug 26, 2011 07:19 am

I had a 37 weeker in January (so, early term, not near term.. but close). She was also jaundiced and got a stay under the bili lights (thanks, AB- husband!) Because I had a CS I wasn't really able to take her anywhere for a few weeks (I didn't drive at the time, either). She did get dragged back into the germ ridden hospital less than a week after birth because I had incision problems and had to go back to have it patched up. But once I was healed, we went everywhere, or at least anywhere I had to go--shopping, to see friends, out to eat. I had a big bassinet stroller and she was all tucked up in there, so she was nice and cosy even when I was walking to the supermarket and back or waiting for the bus. I don't remember taking any special precautions until she was a bit older and we had a local measles outbreak. That said, aside from relatives visiting us at home, she didn't get passed around to random people, and she was in a bassinet with a blanket and hood, so people were never sneezing directly on her.

She was a pretty typical 37 weeker--lousy feeder, but healthy. She was a big, chubby baby, so people were surprised she was early at all. Since she was a first (and so far only) child, she really didn't get slammed with germs until she went to preschool.

I'm actually a bit more nervous about an early term baby this time because I do have a 4yo in preschool, and it is a germ pit (she catches every cold, and gives them to me). At least pick-up is in a carpool line so I don't have to bring baby inside. With #1, her direct contact with other kids was really limited--I went to a local mums' group but she stayed with me.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Aug 25, 2011 07:14 pm

Ditto what Heather (and others) have said!! My 36 weeker stayed an extra day under bili lights for jaundice & she came home right at 5 lbs in December. I had to go back to the ER that night for BP issues and I HATED that we had to take her with us! Eeeewww - I was so skeeved out! My folks took our older girls but Ali had to eat every 2 hours (because of the jaundice) and I was BF so there was no way she could be without me. But after that I wore her in a pouch (to keep hands off and to have 2 hands free for my other girls who were just turned 4 and 2.5). She was so small people didn't even realize there was a baby in there! We were out and about with a fully germy pre-school crowd several times a week but she did fine!! Truth be told she was sick more in her 2nd year once she was walking around & into everything!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

tracym

Postby tracym » Thu Aug 25, 2011 06:58 pm

Congratulations :)

It's been 10 years since I brought my first baby home so those feelings of panic have faded somewhat now ;) Don't stress too much about giving her your cold (if that's what it is), she will have antibodies from you from your breastmilk so will have some immunity. I managed to pick up a cold whilst still in hospital after delivering my second baby, and of course passed it on to my then less than 4lb preemie. She was fine though, just very snotty for a week or so.

Don't be afraid to get out and about...particularly if you're home on your own most of the time. Fresh air and sunshine are good for babies and recovering moms. If you're in a crowd, either wear Emy or cover the stroller with a blanket or light wrap if it's too hot to cover with a blanket. That will make it harder for well meaning strangers to try to touch her. Carry hand sanitiser and use it often and don't be afraid to make others use it too. When you're home, sit and snuggle and enjoy :) Don't forget to eat and drink lots of water and rest when the baby does. There is really not much more to it for the first few weeks...enjoy it as it goes sooo fast.
Tracy

Jack - 37 weeks Feb '01 (mild PE dx 33 weeks)
Kate - 33 weeks Feb '05 (severe PE dx 31 weeks)

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Thu Aug 25, 2011 03:13 pm

Everything Heather said is so wise and true! If you need to get out, just do it and do the best you can to keep her covered. If you don't need to get out, eat and drink while she's eating or awake and (this is MOST important and I never listened to it, regretfully) SLEEP when she sleeps!! You need your rest if hubby is gone all day and you're getting up at night. Sleep deprivation can be a really hard things to overcome physically and emotionally and you may not realize how much sleep you are losing. The best thing to do, if you don't need to be out, is to stay home and snuggle that little sweetie and rest. Most everything else can wait... that initial newborn stage goes by SO fast and you will miss it when it's gone. Find some new mommy books to read or magazines that don't take a lot of brain power and just lay around with her. You won't ever regret that.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Aug 25, 2011 02:54 pm

Christina, congratulations! :) All of my babies have been term or near-term ranging from barely 36 weeks to 37. My smallest (36) came home at 4 lbs 9oz in the middle of summer. My largest (37) came home in the dead of winter at 1/2 ounce under 7 lbs. With all of ours, the only special instructions we were given was to avoid crowds for awhile and use common sense. To us, this meant just that. The time of year, IMO, has more to do with how you go about life with a brand new baby as much as anything (when you're dealing with a healthy, near-term babe, like you are). With my first, we were out in stores and restaurants by the time he was only 2 weeks old. He was always in his carseat with a blanket draped over him or I wore him in a wrap/carrier. People can't touch what they can't see, and strangers/kids wanting to germ him up with their eager hands was my biggest concern for him. I always wore him when I went into a store (a Moby wrap is excellent because you can completely hide a little one in there) so no one ever touched him, and we went for a lot of walks, too, in his stroller. With my third, though he was much larger, we stayed in a LONG time. He was healthy, but he was also born in the middle of January amidst RSV season, colds, and the largest influenza outbreak our area had seen in a long time (all the area school districts were shut down). We avoided going out at all. Anyone who came in had to wash their hands and be illness-free. We pretty much only took him out to his appointments and kept him covered and used hand sanitizer even then. With it being summer, I think you'll be fine getting out and enjoying your new baby. Just keep folks at a distance and wash, wash, wash! :) Congratulations, again!
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

christina89

Questions for near term moms

Postby christina89 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:38 am

Hey. So miss Emy is 8 days old. She was born at 35 weeks 6 days. She stayed in the hospital with me in our room for 72 hours. Then we came home. I'm finding that I have no idea what I'm doing. Like I don't know when I can take her out and about. We have had some small trips but I freak out every time. I'm also worried about her catching a cold or something. I have horrible allergies so I'm going to the store today to get cold medication so I can make 100 percent sure its not a cold I can pass to her. I'm a wreak she is finally gaining weight. She's up to 5 lbs from 4 lbs 12 oz. So were almost at her birth weight. I'm so stressed. I'm a new mom as my son wasn't able to come home with us. So having a near term baby and a husband who is never home. He works from 5 am to 10 pm. I find its all so hard also my husband and I are a young couple I'm 23 and he's 26 so if anybody has any advice for me I would love it. Also when can a treat her as a new born and not a pre term.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”