What did the headache feel like to you?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
trish
Forum Moderator

Re: What did the headache feel like to you?

Postby trish » Mon Oct 10, 2011 07:19 pm

Mine felt like the worst headache EVER! Like some thing was squeezing my head from all sides at once. I made 2 trips to L&D a few days apart (almost 2 weeks before I delivered) & they monitored me for a few hours, ran labs, gave me IV pain meds & sent me home. My headache would subside from horrible/unbearable but never went away. They told me to call & head back in to L&D if I got another headache but I was discharged with a headache & felt like I'd be there everyday if I called about every headache (hello - YES!!)

In hindsight I was an idiot because I had it in my head that I *had* to make it through Christmas & get to 36 weeks (that if I could just make it to 36 weeks everything would be ok). We had an appt. the morning of Dec. 26th for an amnio & if lungs were mature my OB would induce (this was 36 weeks exactly). But on the way there every bump made my head hurt more & I don't usually wear sunglasses but I wore them - AND closed my eyes. I apparently just looked bad enough & my BP even on meds was bad enough that the nurse said let's skip the NST (they were gonna do one before the U/S for the amnio) & she talked to the OB who sent me straight over to L&D and we had a baby later that day (well 40 min past midnight so technically the next day).

Baby was fine but I had major BP issues PP and was back at the ER 4 days PP with the headache again/still. They gave me IV morphine that barely took the edge off. I really should have never been discharged IMO. Anyway, I just wanted to say, with the experience of hindsight, that I shouldn't have "toughed it out" and tried to make it past Christmas. I was trying so hard to have a "normal" Christmas for my other 2 kids (as normal as mommy laying on her left side or in the recliner with her feet up can be!) and trying so hard to get my little one to 36 weeks that I totally ignored the most important thing which was to take care of ME. So that's what I'll tell you. Please take care of YOU. Don't wait for things to get horrible. OK? I wish someone had told me it this plainly when I was pregnant.

(((HUGS))) Thinking of you.
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 03:32 pm

According to my mother and mother-in-law who found me, I spent the ambulance ride complaining that it was just a migraine and I was going to be OK.
I hate to admit it...but that sounds exactly like something I would say. :lol:

Baby passed the bpp this afternoon. The mfm said said my bp was really high this morning (159/110) but I kept pointing out that it came down with the labetalol. He asked if I'm even going to be able to tell if I'm getting sicker. I hope so! I guess I'm waiting for my bp to consistently be elevated so I know I truly need to deliver before this little one is made to come out early.

Maplecat6

Postby Maplecat6 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 09:14 am

I hope your headache goes away and you can hang on for a few more weeks.

I woke up with a headache in the morning and it got worse over a few hours. At the end, I started seizing and arrived at the hospital with a systolic blood pressure over 200. My headache felt exactly like a horrible migraine. I was lying on the couch, unable to move. The pain was intense enough that I closed my eyes and tried to take a nap despite being home alone with my 22 month-old son. I've never before or since taken a nap while he is running loose! I saw flashing lights and lost my vision. According to my mother and mother-in-law who found me, I spent the ambulance ride complaining that it was just a migraine and I was going to be OK.
Amy, mom to almost 5
Quinn, 4/28/06, no complications
Lou, 5/8/09, no complications
Rosie, 3/13/11-3/29/11, eclampsia at 27 weeks and then died from NEC
Sara, 5/3/12, no complications other than an obscene amount of monitoring
Baby #5 due in 2/15

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 09:04 am

The thing about PE and "the" headache is that it really has nothing to do with your bps which is why it's included in the signs/symptoms. It's also different for everyone. As much as you don't want to, I'd keep mentioning it to the doctor at this stage. Also, I think I only just realized you were expecting, and you're already at 32 weeks -- that's great! Hope you can get the headache under control.
That is what is so weird to me, that is doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with what my bp is. If my bp's were crazy high I'd have no problem with delivering early. Right now it feels iffy because a lot of things can cause a headache (irritating dh lol). I'll get to see my little one at the bpp this afternoon.

Yep, 32 weeks! My girls are so excited and asking about what going home outfit she will wear. My dh was rolling his eyes about that, but they are kids and don't understand the full scope of things.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:54 pm

The headache I had in the hospital with my first was so bad that I couldn't tolerate even a sliver of light in the room or sound at all. My nurse came in and replaced a bag of ice that we were keeping on my head in addition to IV narcotics. It even scored me a trip to imaging. In comparison, for several weeks postpartum I had a consistent headache that Tylenol wouldn't help, but was nowhere near the one I had in the hospital. We had a difficult time finding just the right combination of bp meds and dosages to regulate my bps, and my internist attributed the headache to my bps rather than cerebral swelling. The thing about PE and "the" headache is that it really has nothing to do with your bps which is why it's included in the signs/symptoms. It's also different for everyone. As much as you don't want to, I'd keep mentioning it to the doctor at this stage. Also, I think I only just realized you were expecting, and you're already at 32 weeks -- that's great! Hope you can get the headache under control.
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

mom29

Postby mom29 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 08:47 pm

Considering what I had been running the numbers really aren't that high. The headache doesn't go away with tylenol. They gave me something in the IV in the hospital (reglan?) that would make it go away for a good amount of time. I was given a script for a narcotic a few weeks ago because I do get migraines (this isn't a typical migraine though) and I took 1/4 of the prescribed amount of that last night. It took the headache away until sometimes this afternoon. The mfm knows about the headaches since I was having them in the hospital. I felt really good on Thursday, the swelling and my bp is down. I just want to get back to how I felt on Thursday and I can handle this a bit longer!

You summed the headache up well, not a splitting one but an annoying one because it is so persistent in coming back.

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Sun Oct 09, 2011 08:32 pm

Those numbers seem high even for someone who is medicated, but I don't know much about the BP meds and how docs use them.
The headache - does it go away with tylenol? the two days that I had it, I remember it being persistent enough to annoy me but it wasn't always like a splitting headache. seems like it came in waves, but nothing would make it go away completely. I think it was more like a not-so-dull ache that would spike into sharp pain every so often. (forgive me, it's hard to remember anything about the end of that pregnancy!)
does your doc know about the headache? I would just want them to know and add to the list of symptoms. hope you can make it a tiny bit longer!
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

mom29

What did the headache feel like to you?

Postby mom29 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 07:51 pm

I've been diagnosed as having mild pre-eclampsia and that we are going on a day to day basis right now. Have a mild headache that comes and goes (mostly here to stay). I feel like I am walking around in a fog and it's hard to concentrate on anything. I hate the thought of having my baby delivered now (32 weeks) because of a persistent headache though. My bp's aren't too bad since the mag., running in the 130's/89 to 140's/95+. How do you tell the difference between a headache from pre-e and just a regular headache? I was up to 180/110 at the beginning of the week and it's hard to imagine delivering if my bp isn't going crazy (I'm on labetalol). Not sure if I want to throw in the towel or hang in there until the end of this week when work slows down for my dh

Return to “Ask the Experienced”