Looking for early preeclampsia survivor

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
Tara D

Re: Looking for early preeclampsia survivor

Postby Tara D » Mon May 14, 2012 06:49 pm

To All the Lovely Angels who answered my post...I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I feel as though I have lost my memory and even forgot that I posted this message. I wound up having kidney stones - with complications - right after I posted. Then I have been helping with the Cranford, NJ Promise Walk which will take place this Saturday, May 19th. Please join us if you are in NJ or we would love donations to meet our goal for Team Alexandra of $3,000.

As I read the many responses to my post all said they were either induced or had an emergency C-section. The Drs told me that they only option I had was to do a DNE, just like a DNC but to end the pregnancy. They said the other options could make me stroke, or worse. It was the hardest thing that ever happened. Of course at 21 weeks the fetus is pretty big, and I have retained placental tissue in the uterus and had to go through several procedures after the April 7, 2011 DNE. everything was finally resolved the end of August 2011. HAs this happened to anyone else?? I keep wondering if I could have delivered my baby instead??

Thank you for all you responses and sharing your stories and concern. If anyone would like to contact me, my email is gabber07@aol.com.

Fondly,
Tara

inspire99

Postby inspire99 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 02:42 pm

Hi, I am glad I found this forum. It helps me to see there are others like myself with early onset of preeclampsia. My symptoms started from about wk 18. I had terrible swelling especially to my feet. I would have been having twins, girls, so thought this was a part of the process. However, a week after my last ob checkup I started having swelling of the face. When I was checked my urine was at 4+ and BP was initially at 162/94. I was admitted in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks. My babies died before I was induced. I miss them dearly but I am thankful for my life. May God continue to bless and keep you.

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Tue Feb 07, 2012 05:35 pm

Hi Tara,

As you can see, you certainly are not alone. I lost my son at 20 weeks to PE/HELLP. Like you, I had no choice but to deliver or we would have both been lost. Certainly the most painful situation I have ever experienced in my life.

Not long after my experience, I found the PE Foundation's forum. It was an incredible relief to find others who had similar experiences. The forums are a great place to ask questions, vent, share, etc. I found a ton of support and compassion on our Grief and Loss forum. The wonderful ladies here helped me through the worst of the worst.

Please feel free to post as often as you like. We're here to support and help in any way that we can.

I wish you peace and healing.
Rosemary - 47 - Central, PA
Momma to Kayleigh 8/25/88 - 36 weeks
Elliott 8/29/04 - lost at 20 weeks due to severe PE/HELLP
Proud Grandma to Max Allen 10/19/10.

angieb

Postby angieb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 08:32 am

I am very sorry for your loss.

I had an emergency c-section at 23 weeks and our daughter also passed away. (Similar to Molly, we were at a level III NICU hospital but they would not take any life-saving measures, although I no longer feel like they would have been successful anyway.)

I have a blog with the link in my signature which chronicles my (relatively healthy) pregnancy with our son and life now- 2.5 years since she was born and died. Also feel free to contact me by email anytime, angiew901(at)msn(dot)com.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

lgw

Postby lgw » Tue Feb 07, 2012 06:40 am

Tara-
I delivered my first son at 21 wks on Nov. 18, 2003. I've been affiliated with the PF since shortly after that date b/c knowing ladies who have had similar experiences is very comforting. Feel free to email me. I'm not on the forum much.

Leslie

MissingMolly

Postby MissingMolly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi, Tara,

I'm so sorry for your loss. We're getting close to my daughter's due date (February 22), and it's just gut-wrenching. Our babies should still be with us.

I had to have an emergency C-section at just over 23 weeks--I developed HELLP syndrome and was going downhill fast. The hospital refused to do anything for my baby, though they had a level 3 NICU, because they said she would be too small for their equipment. The only bit of comfort I have is that she died in my arms with my breath on her face, surrounded by love. Still, I would give anything to have her back.

Hugs to you, and please feel free to message me.
Mommy to Molly, who was born alive on Oct. 29, 2011 at 23+3 weeks due to severe pre-eclampsia/HELLP syndrome and passed away 3 hours later. Loved and missed every minute of every day...."If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever."

raspbeari

Postby raspbeari » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi Tara,

Delissa King wanted me to pass along that she wants to connect with you. She is on facebook. A lot of are on facebook and I would be happy to friend you as well. I'm Lynne Ringwalt, and I would love to connect with you as well.

Lynne

beth11

Postby beth11 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Hey there. . . I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter and your own pre-e experience. The milestones and annviersaries are hard, I know - especially those in the beginning.

To answer your post - I was just over 19 weeks pregnant with twins - a boy and a girl - when I developed HELLP Syndrome. Like you, I was many weeks away from viability. . . I was told that, unless we induced, I'd probably live 48 hours - maybe a few days - but definitely not long enough to give the babies even a tiny chance at survival.

It's a surreal and gut-wrenching experience, to put it mildly.

And, I felt like a bit of a freak because most people seemed to develop pre-e much, much later in pregnancy! That is, until I came here and, sadly, found many others with similar stories.

If you'd ever like to "chat", please let me know. I haven't been on the forums in a while, so I don't remember if you can message me on here or not! Feel free to email me, though - bmarielee at aol dot com.

Thinking of you . . .
Missing our boy/ girl twins, born at 19w4d due to HELLP Syndrome (November 12, 2008).
And now celebrating their brother (March 2010) and sister (April 2011), who made it here safe and sound.

raspbeari

Postby raspbeari » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi,

I am sorry that you lost your little girl. At 24 weeks I was induced to save my life as well. I had PE and HELLP. My son died shortly after he was born. I have come across some people that got so ill like us, and had to deliver. I think I remember someone as early as 19weeks having to do so, so it does happen. There are quite a few of us that developed PE early.
Glad to see you here, but sorry that you went through what you went through. It is a lousy thing to have experienced. ((hugs))

Lynne

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Feb 06, 2012 09:54 pm

Welcome to the forums. I'm so sorry that you have to be here.

We have too many posters who've been in that spot. I'll holler at a few of them for you privately as well.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

Return to “Ask the Experienced”