Post Partum Clots

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
tree
Forum Moderator

Re: Post Partum Clots

Postby tree » Sun Aug 18, 639557 9:27 am

I was told to call for anything larger than an egg. I had some clots, but I don't remember anything quite that large. I had bleeding for a long time, and I did have some retained placenta that was removed after my 6 week checkup. My doctor was ticked that I didn't call about the clots or the strange pattern of bleeding (every day at the same time in one episode). Call if you are at all concerned. It only takes a simple ultrasound to figure it out.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP

amjon

Postby amjon » Sun Aug 18, 639557 2:20 am

I had what I am pretty sure was a piece of placenta about a week PP and some smaller clots. I normally have clots during a regular cycle though, so not sure if that could indicate a problem. I'll have to ask the MFM when I go for my appointment.
ImageImage

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat Aug 17, 639557 6:20 pm

Yeah that does sound unusual, that might be a good question for your gyno. I know in the past some posters have mentioned having PP bleeding issues, including clots, due to retaining part of placenta. (To pull up old threads you can type in key words like "retained placenta" into the search box in the upper right hand corner.)

If you are concerned that your periods might be abnormal I would definitely reccomend talking to your doctor.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat Aug 17, 639557 1:51 pm

I'm thinkin' a call to the doctor is a good call.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

StrongMom

Postby StrongMom » Sat Aug 17, 639557 4:48 am

Hmm. I'm not sure, but I do know that clotting after giving birth is generally pretty common, and I think most docs give a heads up to expect it. Now, if the clots are on the large side, I think that may warrant a call to the doctor, but yeah I don't know if there is any relation to preeclampsia. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along with some input... :)
I am referring to large clots... I had several the size of clementine sized and then one that was the size of baby's head- not the normal sized that they warn you about
DS born 2010 at 37 week 5 lbs 13 oz due to pre-e

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat Aug 17, 639557 2:58 am

I dunno about post-partum clots. I did lose more blood than normal with my first but I think that might have had something to do with my blood pressure being crazy high.

When my thyroid levels are the least out of whack my periods are longer and heavier. Last summer my periods were so bad my GP checked me for anemia and my gyno checked for uterine fibroids, but nothing turned up on the blood work or ultrasound. I had room to go up on my thyroid meds so I asked for a dose increase and afterwards my periods went back to normal.

Menorrhagia or heavy periods is a common symptom of hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

MaisiesMama

Postby MaisiesMama » Fri Aug 16, 639557 6:30 am

Hmm. I'm not sure, but I do know that clotting after giving birth is generally pretty common, and I think most docs give a heads up to expect it. Now, if the clots are on the large side, I think that may warrant a call to the doctor, but yeah I don't know if there is any relation to preeclampsia. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along with some input... :)
Mommy to Maisie, born 7.5 weeks early due to preeclampsia.

laughinggirl127

Postby laughinggirl127 » Fri Aug 16, 639557 4:05 am

I don't know but am curious about the answer. I, too, have a large amount of clots when on a normal cycle (no birth control). It actually drives me nuts that my flow is like that. I wonder if you are on to something.
DS born 2003- 39 weeks preeclampsia, 6LBS 7oz
DD born 2009-32 weeks preeclampsia, 3LBS 1oz
DD born 2012-38 weeks, PIH, IUGR 5lbs 4oz- no pree

StrongMom

Post Partum Clots

Postby StrongMom » Mon Aug 05, 639557 7:59 pm

I am curious if big or lots of post partum clots is more likely with Pree? I passed a few rather large clots after I had my son. I wasn't sure if this could be a sign of a possible clotting disorder, went along with Pre-e, was something totally unrelated, related to having an induction, or other possibilities? I also have clots during my regular cycle.
DS born 2010 at 37 week 5 lbs 13 oz due to pre-e

Return to “Ask the Experienced”