New member with some Questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
tree
Forum Moderator

Re: New member with some Questions

Postby tree » Sun Dec 04, 639560 7:25 am

I hope you start feeling better soon. This is the one time in your life that you really hope for the flu.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP

NickyVincent

Postby NickyVincent » Sun Dec 04, 639560 1:35 am

So thought I better drop in for an update.

Went and saw my GP, who has diagnosed me with 'clinical influenza'.

He said tests weren't required (as in blood work or urine) because it was very obviously the flu.

My BP was 139/79 which he believed was an improvement and the important thing is that it wasn't going up. He said preeclampsia could be ruled out.

My heart rate was 120.

I have an appointment to see my OB on Tuesday where they will do routine blood work and a urine test.

Thanks again for all your help

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri Dec 02, 639560 7:50 am

That sounds like a great plan. Update when you can.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

NickyVincent

Postby NickyVincent » Thu Dec 01, 639560 11:18 pm

Hi girs,

Thanks for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it.

Don't feel bad for fuelling my worry, I am actually terrified because in my mind there is nothing else it could be considering my history and the way I 'feel'. Makes me feel even worse for those that have no symptoms at all!

I'm going to the doctors as soon as hubby gets home from work. Its been nearly 4 days since I first started feeling unwell and it has gotten progressively worse.

I'm going to ask that along with my blood pressure, they also check my urine and take blood if they do not do it immediately.

Unfortunately I have no idea what my pre preg resting HR is and I haven't been told what it has been while pregnant either.

Its like 18 degrees here (64 F) and I am literally sitting here sweating.

And yes my toddler is totally bored out of his mind, luckily my mother in law has been able to take some time off work to come entertain him and look after me so I've been pretty lucky.

Thanks girls youve been very knowledgeable.

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Mon Nov 21, 639560 10:10 pm

I'm wondering how you are today - any update?
Bedrest is pretty impossible with a toddler! There are only so many books and sticker books and movies before the child runs off :)

A HR of 112 is quite high. do you know your baseline BP (pre-pregnancy)? I would definitely suggest getting checked out further, if only for your peace of mind. Peace of mind is totally worth it, in my opinion.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

danielsmom

Postby danielsmom » Mon Nov 21, 639560 7:29 pm

I hate fueling your worry, but you do have some valid reasons for concern here (headaches, BP around 140/90, seeing spots, upper back/chest pain). It's frustrating, but not all healthcare providers are educated enough about pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome. I too had called a nurse line when I was having the upper right quadrant pain, and they assured me it was heartburn. I'm very blessed that my son hung on long enough for the accurate diagnosis of severe pre-e & HELLP syndrome.

Ask for your urine to be tested for protein (that's half the diagnostic criteria for pre-e). Blood tests can rule out HELLP. If both those reveal no issues, maybe ask if you could have some medication to lower your BP. You don't have to have swelling to have severe pre-e, although it is common. I did not swell until after my delivery. Bedrest can help BP, but is not a cure-all for pre-eclampsia, unfortunately.

I hope you get this checked out and all is ok, at least you'll have peace of mind.
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.

NickyVincent

Postby NickyVincent » Fri Nov 11, 639560 3:19 am

Hi!

I haven't gone to the doctor yet but I did call our healthline. I have been told that if I notice anymore swelling to go straight to hospital. I haven't so far but still feel unwell so I went to the chemist for them to check my blood pressure again and it was 138/88 and my resting heart rate was 112, which is quite high, isn't it?

I am concerned as I have been on bed rest for 2 and a half days and it doesn't seem to be helping. I really wish the doctor had just ran the tests that day and them I would not be worried so much!

Thanks for your concern, if I do feel any worse I will just go straight to the hospital this time, at least they know what they are doing!

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Thu Nov 10, 639560 8:04 am

I have been thinking about you. How are you? Did you go to the hospital or did you see your doctor in the meantime?
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Mon Oct 17, 639560 8:32 am

I'd do the same. But if you feel any worse during the night, don't wait for the morning, PE can move fast. Let us know how it goes tomorrow if you are able.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

NickyVincent

Postby NickyVincent » Mon Oct 17, 639560 7:07 am

Thanks for your reply :)

It's late at night here so unfortunately the surgery is now shut. I am contemplating going to my delivering hospital first thing in the morning, especially if I am still not well. I've had heartburn too which I've read can be associated with PE too, which I had no idea about. I wouldn't have been worried if I had just one symptom but considering I have nearly all of them I'm concerned.

I have a 15 month old toddler which makes the whole bed rest thing very difficult but we will do the best we can.

If I feel any worse than I do now when I wake up in the morning I'll be heading straight to the emergency department of my hospital.

Thanks again.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”