New to pre-e/ have questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: New to pre-e/ have questions

Postby momma2four » Thu Aug 01, 639563 7:36 pm

I was induced after 14 weeks of bedrest when my 24 hour urine came back at almost 400 for protein. My cervix was not really ripe for the picking but it was either try it or c-section. My BP was all over the place. They used pit to start some ctx and slowly increased it. My BP increased as well. I did not have Mag. I got the epidural at 4cm and it made my BP drop dramatically. They had to give me something to bring it back up. (ironic huh!) Then it stabilized and we were good to go. I dilated slowly at first and then very quickly once I was in active labor. We used Pit and AROM only to induce. He was born healthy at 37 weeks with apgars of 8, 9, and 9. No NICU time needed.

On the flip side, I had pre-e with my first. My BP hit around 170/114 the day they induced me. I got cervadil, pitocin, epidural. I ended up with an amnio infusion, magsulf, and a vaccuum extraction. He spent 8 days in NICU. His billi was way off and he had to be on CPAP for a few hours after birth. He was born at 36 weeks.

So pre-e can become a big PITA and the sooner you get delivered the better off you and baby are.

Forum Moderator
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Re: New to pre-e/ have questions

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat May 25, 639563 1:20 am

For what it's worth, we were 36w6d when we started our induction, our BP had been in the 160s and was brought down with meds, but our doctor still had us on Mag. I think we were 1cm dialated... certainly no more... and maybe not even that- I could be confusing my pregnancies. :) We were given cervidil to soften the cervix and then about 12 hours later started on pitocin. I did have an epidural, and they broke our water to get us from 4cm to ready to go and had a vaginal birth- bp stayed stable the whole time. I think we actively pushed maybe 3 or 4 times and out he popped. It was almost exactly 24hours from the start of the cervidil to meeting our lil' one.

Just wanted to share... if mag and an induction is needed a vaginal birth is still very possible. :)
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

User avatar
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10203
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 637032 6:26 pm

Re: New to pre-e/ have questions

Postby caryn » Fri May 24, 639563 7:52 pm

Technically, I think it's *either* of 140/90, twice - so that reading of 130/100 counts!

1) We have had posters develop preeclampsia on blood thinners.
2) They don't make that call on the basis of bp alone - visual disturbances, headache, and hyperreflexia are better indicators of seizure risk. There really aren't a lot of good indicators of seizure risk. Women with mild preeclampsia that is progressing slowly don't always end up on mag.
3) Bedrest is known not to help in broad populations. Some women, particularly chronic hypertensives, seem to respond well to it. The way to check is to lay down on your left side for a few hours, then to sit up with your feet flat on the floor and take your blood pressure. If bedrest is helping, it will be lower. If you're like me, your pressures will be higher, simply because you've gotten sicker in those few hours.

Epidurals are known to lower blood pressure, so some of our posters have had vaginal births with epidurals lowering their pressures to a threshold where their doc thought it was safe to continue vaginally.

Sometimes this disease moves very, very quickly - I went from 130/80 to 220/116 with no time left for an induction within days. Please do keep a close eye on your symptoms and let your care providers know if anything changes. Keep us posted as you're able.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

Registered User
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 1:24 am

Re: New to pre-e/ have questions

Postby laughinggirl127 » Fri May 24, 639563 5:15 am

I didn't want to read and run. Sorry that you are having a rough time. I have no idea for the heparin question but my dr put me on mag both times when my diastolic hit 100 and over. I was induced with my first on mag and am apparently a bad pusher but others have been able to have vaginal deliveries. Being on bed rest will help for a bit. It bought me another 5 days with my daughter before I delievered. It just all depends on how you respond to the bedrest and if they can buy you some more time. Everyone is different so there is no set answer.
DS born 2003- 39 weeks preeclampsia, 6LBS 7oz
DD born 2009-32 weeks preeclampsia, 3LBS 1oz
DD born 2012-38 weeks, PIH, IUGR 5lbs 4oz- no pree

Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 6:12 pm

New to pre-e/ have questions

Postby ahatley » Tue May 14, 639563 12:51 am

Hi all,

I was kept by my doc yesterday at the hospital for a 24 hr protein and BP monitoring. It started out at the doc appt where they took a BP of 142/92 and sent me immediately to the hospital. I also have a blood clot disorder so I have been on lovenox and Heparin most of the pregnancy. While in the hospital I had no BPs over 140/90 and actually ran the gamut in 24 hrs from 90/50 to 130/100. My 24 hr urine test came back as 304. I'm 37+4 today and they decided that since I am adamant about a natural birth and the doc really dosent want a c-section done, induction was not an option as I wasn't efaced or dilated yet. I was put on strict bedrest. Technically they have not diagnosed me with pre-e because I haven't had a 2 BPs over 140/90.

Couple of questions:
1) Has anyone been on Lovenox/Heparin and been diagnosed with pre-e? Did you go into labor naturally or were you induced?
2) At what BP does the doc use mag sulfate in labor? I'm afraid if I do go naturally that my BP will get too high for them to let me continue.
3) If anyone else is this far along, has being put on bedrest helped?

Thanks for any help!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests