post partum bp

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
trish
Forum Moderator

Re: post partum bp

Postby trish » Fri Aug 02, 639563 7:13 pm

There are LOTS of BF safe meds and combos of meds out there - I think I tried them all in my first year PP after my 3rd pregnancy! It's important to find a Dr. who will work with you on it since continuing to BF is important to you. My family (my husband and my mother) wanted me to throw in the towel on BF after a month and get on "better meds" but we made it until just past 11 months before I said ok and agreed to switch to an ace inhibitor. Then I had an allergic reaction to it after about 10 days & had to stop taking it. UGH - so frustrating!!

Babycangel - that is some good growing!! My 3rd was barely preemie at 36 weeks but was only 17.5 lbs at a year and 22 lbs at 2 years! She's 4 now and still pretty small but that's it - she's strong and feisty and keeps me on my toes!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

momma2four

Postby momma2four » Thu Aug 01, 639563 4:40 pm

Thanks everyone. It's driving me nuts!! I was on procardia during my pregnancy for contractions and BP. The protein in my urine got up to 348 or 384, I can't remember which, two days before they delivered. I had no swelling at that time. My BP was normal. Then after he was born they switched me to Labetalol. I hate that med. It makes me shakey and doesn't seem to be working that effectively. I am EBF him so I want something safe to take as I don't want to stop BFing him.

I've considered talking to my MW and switching back to Procardia because it did help my BP while pregnant. I was on Labetalol for a very short time while pregnant before switching to Procardia and it didn't work. So maybe labetalol isn't the best med for me.

babycangel

Postby babycangel » Mon Jul 22, 639563 11:23 pm

I am almost 6 month PP and I still have high BPs despite being on 1700 mg of labetalol. I see my GP on Monday and I am ready to switch meds. I want to try another breastfeeding safe med before I go on an ACE inhibitor, but once you have had severe pre-e you are just so much more likely to develop chronic hypertension. I am as frustrated as you are! I still retain a fair amount of fluid but until I am 6 months PP, which is now, no doc was going to experiment unless I wasn't nursing. On a good note, my preemie 35 weeker went from 6 lbs to a whooping 18 lbs at almost 6 months and she had no further health issues beyond the NICU so I think it was worth it!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Jul 22, 639563 8:20 am

It is common. :( Delivery is often called "the cure" for PE but really it's only the start of the cure. People who never even had PE while pregnant can still develop PE post partum. My BP was worse PP then it had been while I was pregnant - and it was plenty high then! I was taking 600 mg of labetalol at the end of my pregnancy but had to add procardia PP just to keep it under 160/110 PP.

Here is an old but very relevant post with some good explanations. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29016&p=241613&hil ... de#p241613
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Sun Jul 21, 639563 12:35 pm

BP can take some time to regulate itself even after delivery. I was off BP medication approx. 3 weeks postpartum, but many women need to take them for much longer, up to several months. I hope your BP will go down soon.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

momma2four

post partum bp

Postby momma2four » Sun Jul 21, 639563 5:28 am

I am so frustrated. I had my son 2 weeks ago. I developed pre-e and was induced. Throughout L&D my BP was perfectly fine. I didn't need any MagSulf but was on Procardia for the last 14 weeks of my pregnancy and during my hospital stay.

I was asked to come in 1 week PP to check my BP and it was high. I didn't expect that. It was around 150/100. They put me back on Labetalol and told me to come back a week later (today) to have it rechecked. I figured I'd check it at home because I really didn't want to drive that far just to have a BP check. It was high at 153/104. I don't understand. WHY is my BP so high? I thought that the remedy was delivery and now at 2 weeks out I'm having BP issues. I did not have those issues pre-pregnancy.

Is this common? Should I be on a different med? The labetalol makes me feel like crap and I am on 200mg 2x daily.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”