headaches, blurry vision, elevated BP but NOT pre-e?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
melissaa

Re: headaches, blurry vision, elevated BP but NOT pre-e?

Postby melissaa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 03:15 pm

Thanks for the tip on the narcotics!

Appt went much better today! My bp in the office was 148/87 and they did a urine sample and took my weight, I've gained a lb since yesterday. They didnt say what my urine sample was but he said there wasnt any point in repeating the 24 hour b/c it woul only set the plans he has back further. I am wondering if im spilling more again though, b/c the bubbles are back. I absolutely LOVE the MFM I saw, he was wonderful and didnt discount the headaches or blurry vision. He ordered more labs and said that if those come back abnormal, he will deliver tomorrow but even if they're normal, he set me up for an amnio at 1:30 to check for lung maturity and if her lungs are ready to go, he said they would deliver on Friday!
Me (26) D (29)
#1 Addison~ 5-31-07 emergency c-sec 35 weeks. 4 lbs 12 oz. (IUGR, PRE-E, fetal distress)-had to be delivered so fast they broke her leg during delivery.
#2 Lucas~ delivered @ 36 weeks 6 lbs 10 oz. (PIH, PRE-E)
#3 Harper Lily-delivered @ 37.6 weeks 7 lbs (PIH)

mom29

Postby mom29 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 02:50 pm

You might need to point out what your baseline bp runs. Also, some IV narcotics since that is what they are offering to knock the headache out might be a good idea. You might feel better and they would know you are serious about your headache being that painful. If you are refusing any meds. they may be thinking it isn't *that* bad. I did get a prescription for the migraines I had during pregnancy, but the mfm felt I was having the telltale preeclamptic headaches.

I was given IV reglan while on the antepartum unit and that stuff was wonderful! Got rid of the headaches and I didn't feel knocked out like a narcotic makes you feel. http://allnurses.com/general-nursing-di ... 46276.html

holly3372@msn.com

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Wed Nov 14, 2012 02:12 pm

What happened at your appointment today??
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013

melissaa

Postby melissaa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 08:11 am

Thanks Holly!
I have told them serveral times but for some reason, it apparently has yet to be removed. I just cant understand hy they're still basing my bp on the textbook levels. They're saying that the headaches cant possibly be caused by the bp b/c my bp is "good" (140/90 most of the time) but my normal is so low that its rediculous to say that mine isnt SO HIGH until 160/110. 90-100/50-60 to 140/90 is a huge jump!
Me (26) D (29)
#1 Addison~ 5-31-07 emergency c-sec 35 weeks. 4 lbs 12 oz. (IUGR, PRE-E, fetal distress)-had to be delivered so fast they broke her leg during delivery.

holly3372@msn.com

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Wed Nov 14, 2012 04:49 am

My doc had on my chart that I had chronic hypertention which I did not! I had never had a high blood pressure reading in my entire life or any other health issues until my last pregnancy. I made sure and let him and his office staff know this and that it was removed. My next visit I asked about it again to confirm thay had removed it from my chart by showing me!! That is something you should let your neuro and staff know and get that off your chart asap. That is most likely why they are treating you this way if they think you always had migraines. That way it will be made clear to them that this is no regular migraine going on. This is your history and how things went wrong in your other pregnancy, started with a headache like this. Please continue to remind them of this, You have to really advocate for yourself here. You have a history, you are now 37 weeks and do not want to be sent home again afarid and feelling so badly. Good luck today. I am happy to hear that you are so far along and your baby is at a good weight. Keep us posted. xo
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

melissaa

Postby melissaa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 07:46 pm

I've never had migraines other than when I had pre-e with my son.. thats how it started for me. Whats frustrating is.. my neuro for some reason because I had them then (which is the only other time I've ever seen him) put that I have chronic migraines in my chart.. so I guess they think im lieing about not having had them before. idk. I'm 37 weeks now (well, technically tomorrow.. which is only a few hours away). The headache is continuing to get worse. It was awful earlier so I soaked in the warm tub with dim lights and it took the edge off a little but the minute I stood up to get out, it was back full force and hasnt let up much since :(
Thank you!!
I just pray this dr tomorrow has some brains.
Me (26) D (29)

holly3372@msn.com

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Tue Nov 13, 2012 06:01 pm

Ugh im so sorry you are having to go through so much craziness. You are being very brave and strong. I am not for sure about the meds though so I cannot answer that. I know with any med of course there are side affects,. Did the doctor tell you that the meds are safe to use during pregnancy? Were you prone to having migrains before you were pregnant? How much longer until you are 37 weeks?? Hang in there ok I am thinking of you constantly.

melissaa

Postby melissaa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 04:15 pm

She called back and he spoke to me. I told him that I wasnt comfortable with taking all different kinds of meds and he recommended I just go to the hospital and let them give me IV narcotics to help the headache and one of his collegues would talk with me about where to go from here. ugh. How safe are IV narcotics?
Me (26) D (29)

melissaa

Postby melissaa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 03:49 pm

I saw the MFM today who came in asing how I was doing and when I told him about the headaches and blurry vision being worse.. he first said we could talk about other medications to relieve the "migraines" or talk baout a 37 week delivery but that he wouldnt recommend that. I first asked a lot about the meds and told him obviously I want her to be ready but that I cant handle the headaches anymore. He checked me and said im closed. I asked what would happen if this med (immitrex) didnt work and he said to come into L&D and they would try some different medications IV and that the hospital wouldnt allow him to deliver on headaches alone (since my protein dip today was negative, my bp was 143/87 and the fluid level looked good) . I left very frustrated b/c he seemed to have changed his mind about delivering at 37 weeks before I left and after getting to the car and looking up immitrex on safefetus.. Im NOT comfortable taking it, nor am I comfortable being pumped with all otherkinds of drugs. I would feel safer about her being delivered at 37 weeks then being pumped full of drugs. I called the office and left a message with the nurse telling her I wasnt going to take the meds and im waiting for her to call me back.
Me (26) D (29)

holly3372@msn.com

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Tue Nov 13, 2012 01:26 pm

My friend, I am no doctor but I have had severe preeclampsia. I have heard and read enough stories however at this pont to know that with preeclampsia and HELLP some women have had several symptoms, some just one or two and some none. You do not HAVE to have RUQ pain to have HELLP just because it is one of the tell tale signs of it. My midwife and doctor both kept brushing me off with my first pregnancy, I had a terrible pain and throbbing in my head. I believe had I have continued to listen to them I would not be alive today. When I got to the hospital they were shocked I hadn't had a massive stroke. I am just afraid for you because what you describe happening to you is not good healthy or normal. Especially with your history already and how far along you are in your pregnancy. My son was only 1lb 6oz and I was 26 weeks along, yet still they had to deliver me because I was very sick.You are far along and your baby is over 6lbs which is wonderful, I just don't want you waiting around at home feeling this way. :?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”