HELLP Again

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jackysmommy

Re : HELLP Again

Postby jackysmommy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 07:38 am

Thank you both so much. I am truly scared to death right now. I really feel that all will be well with this baby. I really am thankful that they have information out there, because when I got HELLP the first time, I had no clue. I even skipped that chapter in my books because I thought it couldn't happen to me. I think all in all I have put on about 5 pounds in this little month. This will be fun. Thank you all again.
Jess

Jessica Lynn Oaks

ann marie

Postby ann marie » Fri Aug 06, 2004 06:14 pm

Jessica,

Welcome to the forum. We're glad that you found us. I agree with Catherine. The best thing you can do for you and your baby is see a perinatologist and be closely monitored during your pregnancy. We're here to support you through out the pregnancy. Feel free to chat, share your feelings or ask questions. Welcome again!

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced"
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Aug 06, 2004 04:22 pm

Hi Jessica welcome to the forum.

I can see how important a question this is for you.

Let me start with the very good news. Most of the experts agree (and you can read their own words here http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... t=331)that the odds of having HELLP again are in fact pretty low. Your risk of having preeclampsia again.. BTW HELLP is a bad varient of preeclampsia rather than a separate disease) is higher than for someone who has never had it.

That said, the best way to protect yourself from suffering all the bad consequences of preeclampsia is to find the best possible prenatal care you can. I think it would be a good idea to see if you can get a high-risk OB to take care of you, or better still a perinatologist (sometimes called a MFM) who has a great deal of expertise in managing such pregnancies). That way you can do some things to make sure that you don't have an underlying problem (say clotting more than the average person, or have a tendency towards having high blood pressure), right now. Sometimes, there are treatments that are appropriate and can reduce your risk of having HELLP again.

When you read around the site more you'll also find ways to monitor your own health, maybe checking your blood pressure regularly other than at doctor visits, getting sticks to look for protein in your urine. These give good early warning of problems.

I know that you are probably very scared right now. However, I have a story a bit like yours. I had HELLP in my second pregnancy and was really ill. I ended up pregnant again by accident a year later. I was just fine and didn't get sick at all and my baby girl has just turned one.

I hope that you feel welcomed here. There is a section of the forum that is specially for people who have come through HELLP. Come and check it out. There are plenty of people who have good information and support to share with you.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

jackysmommy

HELLP Again

Postby jackysmommy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 01:55 pm

Hello, I am a 21 year old single mother of two beautiful children. My first, Jackson, was born at 28 weeks weighing 2lbs 5 oz, and my second is Emily, born only one month early, weighing 6 lbs 7 oz. I have just gotten the news that I am expecting again. I was very ill with my son, Jack. I had mono and was ill the majority of the time. My second things were smooth, I felt well, and baby was well, growing. My doctor told me to watch my stress because my blood pressure was getting a little odd, (my son had just broke his leg). I did, watched what I did, was careful. Then, the day my son was to get his cast off I had my ob appointment. The dr told me I needed to go on the pit ASAP and I had to check into the hospital at 4 pm. I was there, my mother holding my hand. They waited until 1 pm the next day before I was on the pit. The labor was easy, I felt great. Had a wonderful little girl and I was starved. I have low blood sugar, but they wouldn't let me eat. That night I asked the nurses to keep an eye on Emily so I could get the rest I missed the night before. The next day I felt fine. Even though I was induced for high bp they only checked my bp once that morning. Finally at 2 they let me sign the papers to leave. By 5:30 I was back at the ER will stomach problems, pail, and weak. They had no clue what was going on. I was so ill from fighting whatever had taken over my body I couldn't move. At 11 pm I was diagnosed with HELLP. They had me stay in the ICU for 1 week. Once I was out I was told never to have another baby or I would die. Since my husband’s death in May 03, I have begun to get on with my life. And now, my fiancée and I are going to have a baby ourselves. What is the possibility of getting this again? I know that I am taking a risk, but with two different fathers how big is it? And what is HELLP? I was told it was an allergic reaction to the sperm of the father. There aren't very many doctors around here that have even heard of it. Although I am about 3 hours from Presbyterian St. Luke’s where my son spent 3 months, I still feel very uneasy about this baby. What is the best advice you can give?
Jessica
Mommy of Jack 3 yrs
Mommy of Emily 1 yr

Return to “Ask the Experienced”