? of the Day- Dark-colored urine?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jenchar

Re : ? of the Day- Dark-colored urine?

Postby jenchar » Tue May 06, 637659 10:09 am

My urine was cola colored with each of my severe PE experiences. I did not have HELLP syndrome, but I was spilling lots of protein. My liver tests were always normal.

Each woman goes through the symptoms of PE a little differently since we are all individuals with our own genetic makeup.

Jen

princess purr

Postby princess purr » Tue May 06, 637659 8:09 am

My urine never got dark, even when I was on the cath in L & D. There was a alot less out put then normal though.

lors63

Postby lors63 » Sun May 04, 637659 4:36 pm

This is a sign of HELLP ,g et to the dr, this is seroius, this is your liver breakdwon, I almost died from this, PLEEEEZ go to the dr if you have dark urine COCA COLA PEE. I didnt know about it, you can be monitored. I was lucky , I was blessed.

Lorraine

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Apr 25, 637659 1:46 am

Hi Kim, and welcome,

I agree with Jill -- at the doc's office they should check your urine and bp, and given the symptoms you're reporting here, I expect they'd want to do bloodwork to rule out any problems.

Nausea/vomiting and upper quadrant pain and dark, scanty urine are all signs that should be taken seriously -- both PE and HELLP syndrome can present with those symptoms. Please keep us posted on how things go this afternoon!

jillmushet

Postby jillmushet » Thu Apr 24, 637659 11:52 pm

Hi Kim: Welcome to the PF and thank you for posting. The following link is to the signs and symptoms page:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

I am not a doctor, but dark urine and flu symptoms concern me. I'm so glad you are going into the doctor today. Ask specifically about pe and request a HELLP Syndrome screen. The HELLP screen requires a blood test. Do take care and let us know how things go...

accessoriz

Postby accessoriz » Thu Apr 24, 637659 11:13 pm

I am 33 weeks, at 31 weeks I was having severe right upper Ab pain....so, my ob sent me to the Birth center....(Not to mention she didn't like my Braxton Hicks contractions either)....Where I was given an ultrasound of my kidneys, gallbladder, and bladder....where everything looked like it was ok....But I have noticed that since yesterday my urine is a very dark color....but, it isn't the normal I haven't had enough water look.... Plus, since the pre-term labor I have been drinking about 75 ounces of water a day....other than 3 days ago when I had what I think was the flu. I don't have any other signs of a bladder infection....Had one several years ago....I do have a doctors appt this afternoon....Anybody have any ideas in the mean time???? Any help is very much appreciated...Thanks, KIM

quote:Originally posted by annegarrett

The nurse's advice of eat more protein is not unusual but not advice our doctors provide. You are right--dark or cola colored urine is a very bad sign. If you experience this--even if you are not pregnant--go immediately to your doctor's office and have it checked out.

Anne Garrett
Founder/Spokeswoman
Preeclampsia Foundation

princess purr

Postby princess purr » Wed May 20, 637339 5:20 am

Mine always looked normal, even when my liver and kidney's where not working right

Val (25) & Rich (26)
Married: June 20th 2001
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)

christinab

Postby christinab » Tue Apr 28, 637339 4:58 am

i was always told that the darker your urine, the more water you need to drink. That dark urine ment you were dehydrated. i do not know how true this is. but that is what i have been told. my urine has always been pretty light during pregnancy. but i have always had problems with protein.

Ezmeralda 09/29/02 I miss you my little angel

Anthony Donnale
10/03/03
4lbs 9.6ozs

bookworm

Postby bookworm » Tue Nov 04, 637338 7:49 pm

Did not experience this. My urine looked normal during my 24hr collection, even though it turns out my kidneys were NOT working well.

Amy
DD Erin born 8/26/03 - severe PE

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Tue Nov 04, 637338 7:08 pm

The nurse's advice of eat more protein is not unusual but not advice our doctors provide. You are right--dark or cola colored urine is a very bad sign. If you experience this--even if you are not pregnant--go immediately to your doctor's office and have it checked out.

Anne Garrett
Founder/Spokeswoman
Preeclampsia Foundation

Return to “Ask the Experienced”