Liver damage? after PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachel a

Re : Liver damage? after PE

Postby rachel a » Sun Mar 01, 637339 2:20 pm

Catherine,

Thanks so much! Looking back I can remember saying that once I have Dylan, things will get better. I may have even told you that when I was lying in my hospital bed. It hurts that things aren't better. Even 5 1/2 mos pp. Like you said, I've had to face my own mortality.

I thought that emotionally - I was as tough as they come. I'm not. I'm scared. I'm scared for my son, my future children, my husband and my family. I'm scared for myself.

I want to be who I was before the PE became a part of the family. I guess learning to live with your past is just as important as learning to live.

Thanks again Catherine. I needed to be motivated and reminded...recovery is a journey, not a process.

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

Dylan Samuel 10/04/04 @ 32 weeks (due to severe PE)

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sun Mar 01, 637339 1:52 pm

Rachel, I'm not just saying "oh, be patient.. you'll feel better soon". Actually, you probably won't!

The reason I say that is that you are doing exactly what I did, and Tamara and a bunch of other folk have all described. Way beyond the physical impact of your brush with preeclampsia, there is a strong sense of betrayal that you have to assimilate and work through. It is so hard to believe that the body over which you thought you have perfect control, could just fail you. I think it's almost worst when you are in great shape and doing "everything right".... you keep poking at your memories trying to remember if you drank one coke to many, if you'd put your feet up when they swelled.. My DH reminded me not so long ago that I'd mentioned to him in the parking lot one day not too long before Lucy was born that I saw sparkles.... I didn't even remember that.... It is very hard to accept that you were that sick, and just as hard to define the state of your health afterwards. The only time I'd ever had my BP checked before I had Lucy (other than pregnancy) was if I was giving blood! Now I can't even do that anymore. Even now, three years later, my brush with mortality makes me check the label on OTC meds, makes me careful to make my annual physical etc. I'm even better than ever before about heading to the dentist. Once I'm there.. I have to check the hypertension box, the kidney box, the liver box, the blood products box.... and I hate it! However, I do feel better, not just physically, but emotionally too. I don't need to know all the numbers all the time, I measure my health the way I used to... how much does it hurt after a dance class..... (On a scale of 10... about an 8... just got back [;)]).

Everyone of us has taken, or is taking, this journey. Don't forget to be a little gentle with yourself. It takes time to recover from pregnancy.. even perfect ones....

Do what you need to do, ask as many questions as you need to. When you find new ones, ask those too. If you choose to have more children in the future, you'll need this information to make secure, confident choices and to follow your path without regrets.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Sun Mar 01, 637339 1:23 pm

Melissa,

Hey. We found out about my "possible" liver damage after a series of blood tests were done to evaluate my eligibility for a $1 mil life insurance policy. After my experience, I decided I didn't want to risk leaving my husband and children high and dry if something were to happen to me. Especially since I am the "bread winner" in the family.

Catherine...thanks. My OB said the same thing. She said "if" there is damage it would be highly unlikely that it would be anything needing "surgical attention." She believes that I developed HELLP and it wasn't noticed (for lack of a better word) until we started trying to get the life insurance policy. It scares me that this may have happened and we had no idea. I was under the impression that HELLP was completely obvious...while not always correctly dx, the symptoms are completely obvious.

I am one of these people that absolutely, completely, and thoroughly hates "what if" and "well maybe" (I'm a teacher...it's not in our nature to accept those answers, we find the answers.) You (Catherine) know that. I want answers. I don't want my doctor saying well maybe, possibly. I respect her completely for seeking out the help of a fellow doctor.

If anything...my heart hurts. As I am sure happens to everyone that experiences these problems during what should be a beautiful pregnancy.

God didn't make me a patient individual...he told me to learn that on my own and I still haven't got around to that one just yet.

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

kimb

Postby kimb » Sun Mar 01, 637339 3:34 am

Melissa - I asked my primary care physician to run tests after I was done with the follow up with the peri.

Kim 35
William Michael - my angel - pe/HELLP 7/7/03

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sat Feb 28, 637339 9:58 pm

Rachel you may be heartened to know that most everybody, no matter how severe their HELLP, seems to come away with no long lasting effects on their liver. That has a lot to do with the rapid regeneration of the organ, you effectively replace all the cells in it every 3-6 months. This is why people do so will with liver transplants that are only a portion of someone else's, they grow them back up to full size. So, provided that they don't find something else, perhaps you just need a little more time before the numbers etc. go back to normal.

Melissa, I don't know for sure, I'm sure your DH could snoop in his textbooks for you. The thing that would most usually catch the eye would be elevated liver enzyme values (AST, ALT tests). Don't forget that elevated liver enzyme values can often be observed if you are taking certain medications. I know that mine went way out of wack years ago when I was taking an anti-tuberculosis medication, I had to quit taking it and then go for regular blood tests until the numbers came back to the normal range. If you are on meds of any kind, it's alway worth checking the list of side-effects....... My mom often has bad hepatic reactions to anti-depressive medications... we're always teasing her about her "touchy liver".

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.

melissam

Postby melissam » Sat Feb 28, 637339 6:15 pm

How would we know if we did have liver damage? I am just curious because my doc didn't say anything about it. There must have been some damage somewhere in my body or I wouldn't be chronically hypertensive now.

I also don't have any other follow ups with my peri...at least she didn't say I needed one. That is one thing I hate. I still have all these questions. I am so grateful Garth is in med school and particularly since he is doing his Ob/gyn rotation right now.

Good luck Rachel. I am so sorry I don't have any answers for you. I hope it all turns out well.

Melissa
Mom to:
Riley 2/9/2000 born at 37 weeks due to PE
Kelsi 12/30/2004 - 1/1/2005 (13 oz) born at 24 weeks due to Severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/k/kelsi2005/

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Sat Feb 28, 637339 4:32 pm

Thanks Denise...I was starting to think no one was going to write me back : (

I have an appointment the 28th. Seems too far away. My OB called and told me the date. I will call the internal medicince doctor and see if there is anyway he can see me before then. I am not sure I can patiently wait another two weeks to follow up on all this.

Thanks again Denise. Maybe those other ladies will chime in. It would definitely be comforting to hear from someone that's "been there, done that" if you KWIM.

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

denise

Postby denise » Sat Feb 28, 637339 1:10 pm

Rachel,

There are a few on the boards here who do have some liver damage after having PE. I'm hoping they will chime in here soon. Do you have an appt with the internal med doc scheduled yet? I know it's difficult not to freak out, but please try to stay somewhat calm until they tell you to worry. Once you see the other doctor you should have a better idea of what is going on. I'd really suggest getting in to see that doc as soon as you can, just to alleviate some of your worries. Let us know when the appt is and how it goes.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

-------
Denise (29) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (21 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

rachel a

Liver damage? after PE

Postby rachel a » Fri Feb 27, 637339 8:55 pm

Hi everyone. Well, since I'm not as educated on HELLP and other medical problems. I have a question...

...a couple of weeks ago I was turned down for a life insurance policy b/c of "preeclampsia and other lab findings..." I reviewed the lab findings with my OB and she says that she thinks I have possible liver damamge. She said that she would consult with an internal medicine doctor and possibly send me for a follow-up consult with him this week. I'm freaking out. I have been feeling like crap (pardon the language)...

Does anyone know anything about this or heard anything about this happening? I don't easily panic, but I need some help!

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

Return to “Ask the Experienced”