death certificate

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support
kdreher

Re : death certificate

Postby kdreher » Thu Mar 12, 637339 2:26 pm

After reading this the other day, I went to look at Tyler's paperwork. He was issued a birth certificate, a certificate of baptism, and a death certificate listing the cause. The birth certificate I have has his itty bitty foot prints on...my dh always said I should be a tattoo made of them on me..and I just might (I already have 4, what's one more) and will be putting the actual certificate in a frame as well.

You know what is weird. I never thought about taxes or anything like that back in 1995. I don't know if I would have even cared about claiming him on my taxes...but it just occurred to me this year.

Kris (35) & Tom (35)
Connecticut

My Angel - Tyler 3/9/95 to 3/23/95 (15 oz, 26 wks severe pe/HELLP)
Tubal Ligation 2/2000
Tubal Reversal 10/2004
Miscarriage 1/05

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net

e_allen

Postby e_allen » Thu Mar 12, 637339 7:49 am

So I guess we have 2 certificates with Janell's name offically on them that we didn't know about. One is a Washington State Fetal Death Certificate that states Janell's full name and cause of death (which they put as coiled nuchal cord around body). It also has her time of delivery at 6:43p which we never knew before. I guess the other one is a prettier one from the funeral home. They are with her ashes at my mom's house. We still haven't even looked at the box she is now in. It's too hard. So I guess that is good. She's offical and she was here. She had a name and parents. The state knows it.

Liz (severe PIH and now chronic hypertension)
Janell Victory stillborn July 25, 2004 @ 31 weeks due to cord accident
Janell's Site: http://e-allen0.tripod.com/
As long as we remember, they are never truly lost.
*Gift from Our Angel Due in October*

kimb

Postby kimb » Sun Mar 01, 637339 3:25 am

Liz- yes - I'm in Auburn and we had Will cremated in Puyallup. I dont' know that we asked about it at the hospital but we asked when we went into the funeral home to make the arrangements. I think it is worth asking - we have so little to hold onto that it is nice to have something that says "he was here!!!" though we definitly know it and have our memento's and memories - having that official piece of paper was important to me. Good luck in getting one for Janell! I hope they don't make it too tough on you - we've been through enough.

Kim 35
William Michael - my angel - pe/HELLP 7/7/03

for faith

Postby for faith » Sat Feb 28, 637339 10:32 am

I am so sorry about this - I thought that after 20wks a death certificate was provided - maybe that is in just some states, like Suzy said.

Take care, I hope that you are able to get some answers and some peace.

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - 4/7/00 (36wks, PIH/PE))
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30wks due to severe PE/elevated liver enzymes, passed due to NEC/Sepsis (preemie complications))
OUR LITTLE MIRACLE due 6/5/05 it's a boy!!!!(c-section end of May, but miracle if I make it that far)

trying for #2 to share our lives with since 09/02

greyshield

Postby greyshield » Sat Feb 28, 637339 5:13 am

When I was in the hospital, the nurses told us we would have to have a death certificate due to the baby's age (24 weeks). They also asked us if we had a name for her because it was a requirement. We hadn't picked one yet, and spent several grueling hours agonizing over naming our baby and realizing she wasn't even comming home with us. The nurses then came back to us and said the state (CA) had rewritten that bill and no longer required a name for this type of birth/death...so writing 'baby girl' with our last names was ok with us.
It was last week (1 1/2 weeks after she was sillborn) that the Neptune Society called us back and said that the nurses had mis-informed us and that we either had to choose a name, or it would be represented with two dashes. After all this, we now still had to choose a name...two dashes just seemed cruel. And on top of all this, not only do we have to resign our certificate with our newly picked out name because of this, but they also noticed the OB mis-spelled the cause of death...

e_allen

Postby e_allen » Tue Feb 17, 637339 11:58 pm

Kim - you are in Washington? We got Janell cremated and we didn't get anything... do you think I should ask? I would really like it.

Liz (severe PIH and now chronic hypertension)
Janell Victory stillborn July 25, 2004 @ 31 weeks due to cord accident
Janell's Site: http://e-allen0.tripod.com/
As long as we remember, they are never truly lost.
*Gift from Our Angel Due in October*

dja

Postby dja » Tue Feb 17, 637339 11:57 pm

I never received one for Amelia - I was told that in California they don't provide any certificates to stillborn babies. All I have is her certificate of baptism from the hospital chaplain, for which I am grateful. I framed it and have it hanging next to her picture and her hand/footprints.

DJA
Mom to Amelia, b/d 03/19/04 @ 21 weeks/5 days due to severe PE with elevated liver enzymes

Expecting, EDD 04/22/05! It's a little boy!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Tue Feb 17, 637339 9:50 pm

I had my dear Nate in the UK. He lived for two days and the registrar came to my hospital bedside and filled out the birth and death certificates there. She was very sensitive and wrote them in proper ink in the most beautiful handwriting. It was an awful business, but not to have his short life recorded would have been worse. Such recognition seems so little to ask.

Fiona
dh Tom
ds Nate 12/8/97 - 14/8/97 26 weeks severe pre-e IUGR 1lb
ds Jay 4/11/98 30 weeks pre-e 3lbs 11 oz
no 3 due 15/6/05

kimb

Postby kimb » Tue Feb 17, 637339 6:25 pm

We didn't get a birth certificate as Will was stillborn but we did get a death certificate. In washington they have to be at least 20 weeks and I believe they called it a Fetal Death Certificate. We had Will cremated and that is where the paperwork got started for it. Unfortunately they had an absolute idiot doing the typing and there were 13 errors on it when we got it including his bday. As if as parents we were hurting enough! When it came in again it still had 2 errors. My husband went back in the funeral home and talked to owner - I dont' think the typist works there anymore!

Kim 35
William Michael - my angel - pe/HELLP 7/7/03

melissam

Postby melissam » Tue Feb 17, 637339 1:17 pm

Kim,

It was actually the life insurance rider we have on our children...they have to be alive for 15 days in order to collect on life insurance for them. Kelsi lived for 3 days....so we have both a birth certificate and death certificate. I don't know what the death or birth certificate situation is here in Virginia for stillborns though.

Melissa
Mom to:
Riley 2/9/2000 born at 37 weeks due to PE
Kelsi 12/30/2004 - 1/1/2005 (13 oz) born at 24 weeks due to Severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/k/kelsi2005/

Return to “Grief and Loss”