Amnio Questions

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
lucy

Re : Amnio Questions

Postby lucy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:55 pm

I got an amino with Sebanna at 36wks I didnt get numbed at all, he just did a quick ultrasound, cleaned my stomach and popped the needle in. I was a little sore for awhile after but it wasnt that bad.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Jun 23, 2006 09:29 am

Seriously? No nakedness? Maybe my guy was just insensitive, because, truly, I was far more affected by my exposure then the procedure itself.

This is good to hear for you guys...mine was probably unique to that doctor!

And like I said, I was imagining the needle of needles, which probably did help my mindset once I was there.

You'll both be fine!

Heather

akemt

Postby akemt » Fri Jun 23, 2006 03:50 am

Oh, and no IV either...

akemt

Postby akemt » Fri Jun 23, 2006 03:49 am

Ditto to what Fiona said about steroids.

I had an amnio at 36 1/2 weeks with my first. I didn't have any numbing that I recall, but it didn't feel any worse than a regular needle-prick. I'm not sure if we had different size needles or if mamajett simply expected a larger one than they used, but having been a phlebotomist, I must say it is somewhat longer than a normal needle. LOL I'm not trying to scare you...I guess I'm just saying it is better to imagine it as a huge needle and try to wrap your mind around that beforehand so that when you actually see it, you'll be so glad it isn't that big! [;)]

Living far enough from a big hospital that they have to fly the amnio out, they did a quick-test. It came back within about 30-60 minutes (while I was still there hooked up to the NST) as "transitional". I went home with no complaints other than I was going home. The next day we got a call that the real-deal came back and we were ready to go. If it hadn't come back as mature, we'd have waited another week if my condition were stable, and tried again.

Also, I was NOT naked or exposed in any way except for my belly. My husband, mother? (you'd think it would be etched in my memory), and sister-in-law were in the room for it. We did watch the amnio u/s on about 3 different smaller screens.

Best of luck!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:57 pm

Nicole,

I don't think steroids are used much past 32 weeks as there are few benefits by that stage.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:56 pm

I forgot to mention the IV. I don't think there was one. I was so poked and prodded in those final weeks, I'm a little fuzzy on who stuck me and when, but I think you're safe on the IV front.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:50 pm

Ah, I forgot the most important part: NUMBING [:I] ! They applied a topical anesthetic at the site. It really felt no worse than having blood drawn from your arm. I was imagining this huge pole-like device, but the needle isn't really that much longer than a regular one. The doc told me they only need to penetrate so far to get what they need. Plus, once it's in, you won't feel it. The worst part, in my experience, was the cramping afterward. It will be nothing like you are probably imagining. I am the biggest needle phobic there is, and at the time, I thought it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined it would be. That said, I'd probably get all nervous if I found out I would need one tomorrow, but more for the nakedness than the needle [;)]!

As for the nakedness...it's pretty brutal. I was thoroughly aware that I was majorly exposed in front of a small party of people. They gave me a hospital gown to put on with the opening in the front and nothing underneath, and I was lying flat on a table. I think my chest was covered, but I really don't remember. I know my bottom half wasn't covered by any stretch of the imagination! I do remember that I felt REALLY naked [;)]! My husband was probably as uncomfortable being there as I was, but the dr. and the attending nurse acted like it was no big thing, so we tried to play cool.

I was checked at 34 weeks, and his lungs were not mature. My amnio was at another hospital 30 min. away, and my hospital had the results as soon as we arrived back. On a postive note, I delivered at 36 weeks, and his lungs were 100% perfectly matured. As I recall, you're both past that mark, so you'll likely get the results you want! Good luck to you both! Let us know how it goes!

Heather

jshell4871

Postby jshell4871 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. I had an appointment today and got the amnio scheduled for July 13 with the baby being delivered that afternoon if she is ready. I am terrified. I have had all my babies by c-section so I am not looking forward to all that in one day. It will be wonderful to have my baby in my arms though. I wonder how DH will hold up if he is allowed he has to be with me or I won't make it but he doesn't do well with needles either. You were totally naked? I think at some point I am all out there with my c-sections but I don't realize it because I am numb. Do you get an IV for the amnio? Do they numb the site?

Nicole, I don't know what your Dr will do but my peri said there would be a 80% chance that the lungs would be mature and my OB said if they are not he will wait a week and just take her then.

nicoleharrison

Postby nicoleharrison » Thu Jun 22, 2006 08:57 pm

I am so glad you posted this as I was just told yesterday that I will also be getting an amnio at 37 weeks for the same reason. My question that I forgot to ask my Peri was what if the lungs are not mature? Steroids and wait 48 hours? I am having mine in early August-- good luck to you!

Nicole

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:34 pm

Hi, this is the first time I've ever posted! I've been reading from the sidelines, but I wanted to help answer your questions regarding the amnio.

I had one at 34 weeks, and I was TERRIFIED! Once I got there and everything started moving, what terrified me most was having nothing on (and if you've been pregnant before, you know you get past this!). They allowed my husband to be right beside me the entire time. It probably took around 5 minutes. We had the results back in about 2 hours. The needle isn't nearly as long as I had imagined. You'll probably be prepped with Betadyne and then you'll have an ultrasound. Ours was on an overhead monitor so we could watch it all onscreen. I was so interested in watching it onscreen that I really didn't feel that much. You'll likely feel a tiny bit of pressure upon entry. Our little guy kept kicking at the needle! It won't be as bad as anything you're expecting. A few hours later, I did experience some minor contractions which I was told to expect. It's supposedly pretty common. Good luck!!!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”