Terbutaline/Breathine

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
katevans

Re : Terbutaline/Breathine

Postby katevans » Sun Jul 31, 638292 6:05 pm

In my area of Florida, if you have PTL and are 34 weeks or beyond, they will have you deliver. My OB was called at 6:30pm, and I had the c-section 2.5 hours later. I had a c-section with my first pregnancy.

pkandm

Postby pkandm » Tue May 13, 638290 7:12 pm

[:I]thanks-duh...should've thought a little harder [:I]

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue May 13, 638290 6:32 pm

Preterm labor! [:)]

pkandm

Postby pkandm » Tue May 13, 638290 6:31 pm

What is PTL? Did you go on your own at 36 weeks or were you induced? Thanks

katevans

Postby katevans » Tue May 13, 638290 2:00 pm

I have not heard of any link to Autism or other issues. I was given Terbutaline 5 times on three different occasions. All the research I found at that time explained how the drug was used for breathing emergencies.

On the note of PTL, I am currently taking weekly P17 shots, I had an "irritable uterus" my last pregnancy. So far no run of contractions this time. I am 28 weeks today. Last pregnancy I had the Terbutaline at 23,29,33 weeks, and delivered at 36 weeks. Good luck with the duration of your pregnancy.

pkandm

Postby pkandm » Tue May 13, 638290 10:28 am

Thanks-I talked to my insurance nurse (a program through our insurance that provides a nurse over the phone to follow high risk pregnancy) Anyway, she said that with every drug there seems to always be something someone is trying to link it to. She said that it has been used for a long time and there is no proven side effects and that drs wouldn't use it if they didn't feel safe. (well I have my own opinion on that, but that's another topic)

My contractions-I'm having a good day today-really no cramping. I'm not sure what to call these things...they don't say they are really contractions-but more of a irritable uterus-it spasms a lot and they said some are BH contractions. The breathine works pretty well. I've just had 2 shots but will probably talk to my dr about getting the oral form for those bad days when I feel cramps on and off all day. I'm not a big user of drugs-so I guess I'm not concerned about overusing it. I think it would mainly be at night-which is when they typically happen.
I guess the thing is-what is the alturnative? Delivering a 26 week baby? So I guess even if there is a slight risk-if they feel I need it to calm things down so I don't go into real labor...it is probably worth the risk as long as I'm trying not to use it unless I really need to. Thanks for asking...I'm hanging in there on a "take it easy" order and almost to 26 weeks-I'll feel better once I get into the 34-36 week range-though I know 37+ is better.[:)]

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue May 13, 638290 4:43 am

To be honest, I've not heard of side effects in terms of the baby (not that they aren't there, just that I am not personally aware of them). I did have a few rounds of brethine around 33/4 weeks with my last pregnancy. If they (the docs) are concerned that the contractions could progress to labor, though, there isn't a lot they can administer to stop it aside from terb, brethine, and mag (I think) -- and depending on your gestation, they usually want to get it under control. Hopefully, someone with some knowledge on the risks associated with those drugs will pop by.

Aside from those worries, how are you with the contractions now?

pkandm

Terbutaline/Breathine

Postby pkandm » Mon May 12, 638290 6:42 pm

I've had to have a shot of breathine a couple of times to stop my irritable uterus. My question-they told me that there were no side effects to the baby but when I searched online I found some things on autism and other issues-does anyone know about this drug?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”