Braxton Hicks

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
katevans

Re : Braxton Hicks

Postby katevans » Tue Sep 09, 2008 09:24 pm

My DH gave me my P17 shot. They were also IM on the backside. The first week I had it in my arm, they hurt in the arm but not the butt. Good luck.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:10 am

After the initial consultation, it will be quick. Depending on what is going on. Sometimes I would see her for 30 mins. Sometimes she popped in at the end of an US to discuss things.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 09:03 am

A nurse at my OBs office did them for me. They were IM and went in my backside hip, so I couldn't really reach to do it. They said my husband could have, but he's deathly afraid of needles. I just picked up the prescription and needles and just brought it in every week. It was a little hassle, but the office is pretty close to my house. I don't know if there is a connection between low progesterone early in pregnancy and the need for 17p later (I know 17p usually starts around 16 weeks).

It's great the block so much time for the consultations. Except for my initial consulation, my peri only met with me very briefly to review the u/s results each time and since they looked good, they went pretty fast :)

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Sep 07, 2008 08:51 am

Holly who administered your 17p shots? Did you do it, the peri, or ob. I'm curious because we know that I had low progesterone this preganancy. Thursday he had me start going to every other day with the prometrium supplements. My peri is 45 mins away! I got a list of questions a mile long for her. The good thing is on consultations, they have blocks of time scheduled out (like only 2 a day and none on Fridays). There are like 3 hours between each one. So she opens at 7:30. There is a slot at 7:30 and a slot at 10:30. An hour of that is the US. From what I remembered the last time, she went over a management plan and everything. Unfortunately for everyone, I know WAY more this time than I ever did last time. DH is going to this appt with me.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 08:39 pm

Sorry to hear about DH's aunt.

They always told me to empty my bladder and drink lots of water. A nurse also suggested Propel, so I think Gatorade can do the same (maybe just more calories?). Hopefully you'll be able to get them under control. I was told I had an "irritable uterus"...it made for a lot of stress about whether I needed to worry or not (and every call got me sent to L&D).

All of my cervical length checks were done transvaginally, I don't think they can do them through the abdomen. I think it's definitely a good idea to mention to your peri. It was my peri that suggested the 17p shots for me. I think they made a difference too because I didn't have to start terbutaline (oral medication for contractions) until a lot later in this pregnancy than the first. Of course, now I don't have to do all that stuff because if I go into labor, the baby gets to come out now :)

Best of luck. I do hope it's just a rough day and you don't have to deal with all those hassles...worrying about pre-e is plenty for a pregnancy!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Sep 06, 2008 06:39 pm

They totally slowed down. Thank goodness because we got a call that dh's aunt passed away this morning and everyone is busy with her family. She had cancer and they told us Tuesday that she only had a couple of weeks, but it was only 4 days. Which I am assuming if they didn't slow down I would have had to go to L&D for fluids. I didn't want to go there by myself. Someone on my Feb expecting board said low electrolytes can do it as well. So when dh goes and gets dinner, I am having him bring in the case of gatorade I bought a couple of weeks ago. It seems as long as I am off my feet and drinking, they come to a stop and slow down. As soon as I start moving, they start up again. YIKES.

With checking the cervix by US, can my peri do that by an abdominal scan or is it transvaginal. I am going to mention the contractions to her when I see her in on the 18th (yeah 12 days!!). I really don't want to do a transvaginal scan if I don't have to. She has pretty good US machines (better than the hospital).

surefoott

Postby surefoott » Sat Sep 06, 2008 03:52 pm

It doesn't surprise me; I had them often and early with my last pregnancy; most doctors will tell you, as Holly mentioned, that they are earlier and more frequent with each pregnancy. My daughter is having them quite alot, also with the tightening and she is 27 weeks. She doesn't remember them this early with her first baby, but then her daughter is 16 so she might just not remember. But I'm guessing she is having them earlier. I worry about preterm labor; but I don't know when her doctor said to call. I asked her if they were regular and she said, yes, but they go away then especially if she changes position. At her last visit, she said the doctor didn't seem too surprised or concerned. I'm thinking maybe the key to it is that they don't really hurt, just cause the tightening up. This being your 4th pregnancy, I'm not surprised you are getting them this early. Hope they subside and give you some rest and relief!!!!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 02:57 pm

My doctor told me that with every pregnancy they tend to get earlier and more (or at least we can sense them earlier and more often). I've had many times where they have been as close as every 2-3 minutes. I talked to my docs to find out exactly when they wanted me to call (for me it was if they were "different"). They also started doing routine ultrasounds to monitor my cervical length (it was easy since I was already going for growth scans). I would recommend chatting with your doc to see if he wants to watch you more closely and what his criteria for a call are.

I'm so glad they're slowing down for you. I would bet you'll start noticing them more often now though...that's how it was for me. After the first "round", they were much more noticeable.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Sep 06, 2008 02:39 pm

Well they seem to be slowing down. Instead of my whole stomach contracting, it is just the lower part. They are spacing out now a couple of hours later. I'm still having them, not as often. I had way more than 10 today. They were like every 10 mins for a while. It's hard to know when to call, if you kwim. PE I know all about, but contractions and stuff, nada. That's new territory for me. I think he was a little surprised too. But if you think about, this is a fourth preganancy.

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Sat Sep 06, 2008 02:21 pm

Wow Sabrina that is kind of early but it looks like others have gotten them this early too. As long as they are not consistent I think it's okay. Let us know what happens in a couple of hours.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”