What do you think about this study??

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
missgamecock

Re : What do you think about this study??

Postby missgamecock » Wed Sep 08, 2010 02:20 pm

My dh and I have been married for 15 years. We were married almost 4, before we had Kirsten. Study doesn't support me...

chloeada

Postby chloeada » Tue Sep 07, 2010 09:17 pm

re: sperm exposure- my husband and I had been together for 10 years before Zoe was conceived- that's a lot of sperm!
I think it could be genetic from his side in my case- since half his genes are in the baby, and the baby's genes make the placenta, not mine (right?). My husband was born at 33 weeks because his mother developed pre-e, that's my only connection to it. One thing that makes me feel better is that my husband's 2 younger brothers were full term, although my mother-in-law's BP did go up at the end of those pregnancies.

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 04:19 pm

Wow! thanks for that information!!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 06, 2010 04:38 pm

At least.

Lessee. Yeah, I think there are, broadly construed, three ways for things to predispose a pregnancy to PE:

1) First pregnancy, slightly weird negotiations for implantation, PE --> followed by normal pregnancies thereafter because the spiral arteries supplying blood to the uterus have been remodeled by that first placenta.

2) Underlying condition predisposing pregnancy to PE develops -- either before first pregnancy or after -- so all subsequent pregnancies are at high risk for PE but in some cases you might not get it. Chronic hypertensives are like this, with a 1 in 4 chance of PE in any given pregnancy.

3) Just wack genetics in that particular pregnancy, like a placenta with trisomy 16 but a normal fetus. Things just happen sometimes. There are case studies in the literature where someone gets PE in a fifth pregnancy because things happened to wire up wrong that time. None of the case studies really share the underlying predisposition, but all of the pregnancies eventually go haywire in a PE-like way. A mismatch between the instructions of the partners is like that, because when you reshuffle the genetic dice in a later pregnancy you won't have the same genes, and things might go just fine. Or they might not -- depends on the genes that are in play.

That's why this is so hard to treat. There are so many different risk factors and so many different individual manifestations (different autoimmune diseases make things break for different reasons, different novel gene sets make things break for different reasons, etc.) that what the researchers are really hoping to find right now is some therapy that allows delivery to be delayed safely for 48 hours. That would give enough time for steroid shots for fetal lung development. It wouldn't cure NEC, and it wouldn't reverse the syndrome, but it would be a start.

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 09:01 pm

So there are three reason's why people get preeclampsia?

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:02 am

All I can say is crap.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:08 pm

Lots of different things can contribute to PE.

There's some data showing a connection with what they call "seminal priming" -- basically, exposure to the partner's semen prepares your system for pregnancy -- but that's only part of the problem. Some women will have a set of genes governing implantation that simply cannot talk to the genes of their partner. Some women will have underlying conditions that make the whole issue of seminal priming irrelevant, because they're chronics or have APS or whatever. Some men are going to have a set of genes regulating implantation that just don't work with *anyone's* instructions (they call these guys "dangerous partners".)

And no matter how much exposure you get, the genetic thingy means that sometimes pregnancy is just going to break.

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:04 pm

When you take medications and become immune to it you are taking the pills every day, so you would think you would have to have unprotected sex every day to become immune to the sperm.

I used to take different antibiotics for acne, but would always become immune to them after using them every day for 2 months and my skin would look bad again. So what I would do is take antibiotics for a month and a half then stop taking them for 2 weeks then start up again, that way I would not become immune and my skin would stay clear.

maribel01

Postby maribel01 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 09:06 am

My husband mentioned these studies to me. It could be a possibility for me with my first pregnancy. I hadn't been exposed to his sperm for a long time before getting pregnant b/c I am unable to take birth control pills. We'll see what happens this time around. I've had a lot of exposure at this point. :)

apd

Postby apd » Sun Aug 29, 2010 03:33 pm

I think the point I'm trying to make is that since this study didn't randomly assign some women to get pregnant right away and some to have unprotected sex for a while, we need to try to isolate exposure to partner through statistically controlling for other factors we know are related to early conception. Those factors could be the underlying issue between exposure and PE - and we do know that being of color, very young, older, or overweight are all factors for PE and we know that not taking folic acid (in prenatal vitamins) and not stopping alcohol or drugs is related to poor pregnancy outcomes, and might be related to PE. Social reasons are most definitely related to poor pregnancy outcomes, though not the only cause. But if you don't control for them in a study, your evidence connecting your hypothesize mechanism and PE are weak if it's not a randomized trial.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”