Getting worse earlier this time

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
lapetitemo

Re: Getting worse earlier this time

Postby lapetitemo » Thu Sep 16, 638951 9:32 am

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll need it. Today's appointment didn't go so well. My BP on arrival this morning was 148/92, on meds, and I told her how I had been having headaches and feeling what I can only describe as being jittery or "physically anxious." I got sent over to the hospital for half the day for an NST, BPP, blood pressure monitoring, and blood work. Everything looked ok (for now), and although my BP went up to 155/110 a couple times, side-lying bed rest seemed to help quite a bit. So, I'm on strict home bed rest now, taking BP every 2-3 hours, with orders to call in for anything at or above 150/100 or any new/worse symptoms. I go back for more tests on Friday. I've got my mom coming on Saturday now (she's 3000 miles away), and my husband will be able to work from home the next couple days, so it looks like we've got things covered. I just hope and pray that I can keep this baby girl in a little longer!

mrss-- It's interesting that your PE started later but progressed faster. My pressures are definitely higher much earlier in the process this time. We just have to go against the statistics, don't we? Have you been tested for underlying disorders? I haven't been, but I'm definitely considering it after this pregnancy. My family history of autoimmune disorders is just too extensive for all of this to be coincidental.
Maureen (29) & HJ (29)

Alex (2) - 10/24/08 - PIH @ 32w, labetalol, bed rest for 4 weeks, Severe PE and induction @ 39w
Emily (brand new) - 12/18/10 - Mild PE @ 29w, labetalol, bed rest @ 34w, Severe PE and induction @ 37w

mrss

Postby mrss » Wed Jun 04, 638949 9:07 am

It sounds like what happened to me the second time, except I actually started getting high BPs a week later than my earlier pregnancy. The disease progressed much more quickly. When I had pressures around 170/105, the doctors prescribed (and then increased) Labetalol and I squeaked by with 2 1/2 more weeks on bedrest. During that time I was mostly at home, although I was hospitalized twice--once for med adjustment and once because I was so sick from a virus that I couldn't stop throwing up my BP pills. I got my BP medicine, Zofran and fluids through an IV and stayed overnight. Four days later I went in because my pressures were around the 210/110 mark. They wouldn't come down with IV medication and I had an emergency c-section in the middle of the night. We didn't have concrete plans for DS. My SIL and DH's SIL had already taken turns staying with us while I was on bedrest and my mom was also transporting DS back and forth to preschool. The last time I went in, we were fortunate that it was a Sunday evening and my father was home. My mom is a nurse and she was actually working at the time, so Dad came over to sit with my son. I didn't think I'd be having the baby within a few hours! My mom came over and stayed when she got off at 11:00 and by the next evening, DH was home with him. I'm sure it will work out for you, but I agree with PP that you really need a nearby friend who can be your backup if your mom can't come right away. In a pinch I knew my neighbor and/or my girlfriend down the street would have kept DS until someone else could come.
Michelle (38)
DH (50)
Adam 6/10/06 at 37w2d, 5 lbs. 12 oz.
Julianne 10/4/10 at 35w5d, 5 lbs. 5 oz.

apd

Postby apd » Wed Jun 04, 638949 5:46 am

I'm sorry to hear that. 34 weeks is pretty good - most doctors will not stop labor at 35 weeks or later so you're almost there. I wouldn't focus on your mom coming in. Instead identify a friend or neighbor that could take him. I would definitely look into hospital bed rest thought - your doctors can give you steriod shots that will increase the surfactant on your baby's lungs and help them avoid a respirator if born early.

lapetitemo

Getting worse earlier this time

Postby lapetitemo » Sat May 24, 638949 10:23 pm

I'm so bummed out right now, and I feel the need to rant to those who understand.

This is my second pregnancy and second time with PE. I don't have hypertension outside of pregnancy, and my baseline is about 110/70. The mildly elevated pressures started around 32-33 weeks with my first and got gradually worse until gestational hypertension finally turned into severe PE at 39 weeks, at which point I was induced after 6 weeks of meds and 4 weeks of bed rest. This time, it started at 29+4 weeks, when I went on labetalol for creeping pressures (~140/90). 24 hr urine was borderline, so I got the mild PE diagnosis. I'm now 34+1 weeks, and today my BP has gone haywire (155/98), despite the meds and not doing much in the way of physical activity. It has not gone down with rest. I'm also dipping a +1 on my urinalysis dip sticks (I bought some for home) when I usually dip only a trace or negative (it's a good thing they don't go by these alone!). Add to that a low-grade headache that won't go away, and I'm really getting worried. The sinus infection I'm just getting over, along with its resultant cough, doesn't help matters, either.

I'm going to call in tomorrow morning if these pressures don't go down (or go in tonight if they continue to rise). I wonder what my OB will want to do, though. When my BP spiked to 160/110 during my first pregnancy, I was 39 weeks and was induced right away. Maybe a dosage increase and bed rest might be a viable option? Has anyone bought any time in a similar situation? I just need to make it 12 more days (36 weeks even) so my mom is here to take care of our son!
Maureen (29) & HJ (29)

Alex (2) - 10/24/08 - PIH @ 32w, labetalol, bed rest for 4 weeks, Severe PE and induction @ 39w
Emily (brand new) - 12/18/10 - Mild PE @ 29w, labetalol, bed rest @ 34w, Severe PE and induction @ 37w

Return to “Pregnant Again?”