Anxiety & PE

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
mrss

Re: Anxiety & PE

Postby mrss » Tue Apr 11, 638952 5:43 pm

I had a lot of anxiety throughout my pregnancy with DD. I was on medication when I got pregnant and was trying to wean off before the third trimester. I didn't wean from it entirely, but I did cut down to a minimal dose. It was pretty obvious when my symptoms started to feel like more than anxiety alone. I started to feel "off" and my pressures were really high. You're not alone. A lot of us have anxiety in subsequent pregnancies.
Michelle (38)
DH (50)
Adam 6/10/06 at 37w2d, 5 lbs. 12 oz.
Julianne 10/4/10 at 35w5d, 5 lbs. 5 oz.

angieb

Re: Anxiety & PE

Postby angieb » Wed Mar 29, 638952 11:29 pm

My advice would be to get your own blood pressure machine at home if you don't already have one and keep track of your blood pressure there 2-3 times a day. I have white coat syndrome too (and even managed to give myself a panic attack one day while the nurse was taking my bp.) My MFM has me fax in my blood pressures once a week to her office, and she can see that my blood pressures are still normal at home, and so she's not really concerned about them in the office even though ordinarily those numbers would be concerning. (In fact at 11 weeks she told me she thought they were going to have to put me on bp meds soon and had me start monitoring at home. I've gone 7 weeks since then and my blood pressures have been normal.) If there's really a concern, your blood pressures at home will reflect it too, and if there not, you'll know it's just the doctor's office.

^ If you are already monitoring your BP's at home, which it sounds like maybe you are, then disregard all of that!

I know as we've been approaching the 20-23 week mark, which is when I got sick the first time and had to deliver @ 23 weeks, my anxiety is definitely up there. I can tell a difference in my blood pressure when I've been thinking about it a lot and worrying vs. when I'm not as much. I think right now I'd chalk it up mainly to anxiety until/unless you start having symptoms.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

srowe2010

Anxiety & PE

Postby srowe2010 » Wed Mar 29, 638952 6:23 pm

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while but this is my first time posting. I am currently almost 22 wks. I developed PIH & PE with my 14 month old at 38 wks. Induction, labor & delivery went well. However, PE became severe after delivery, bp was uncontrollable, even on Aldomet. I was discharged after an extra 2 day monitor w/ 150/90's-100's only to return to ER w/ 200's/120's where I stayed for another 4 days or so. Max dose of Labetelol finally got it under control (from my ob, none of the cardiologists I'd seen). Anyway, fast forward 3-4 months, I weaned off Labetelol & things got back to normal. I continued to breast feed my little girl until 8 1/2 months, had my cycle one time & BOOM! I'm preggo again. Due Apr 25.

My question/concern is my anxiety. The PE episode (mostly post partum) uncovered a huge anxiety issue. I was on Lexapro for 4 months or so after delivery but then weaned off after I got scared of withdrawal effects. Now, after hitting the 20 wk mark, I am consumed w/ anxiety. My bp at the beginning of my pregnancy was 110/s/70's, now it's creeped up to 120's/80's. Forget the ob's office, last visit it was 144/90 - HUGE issue w/ white coat syndrome. My question is at what point do I ignore the anxiety symptoms & know that's it's really PE rearing it's ugly head again?!? I'm afraid my ob is going to disregard b/c she knows I'm having anxiety issues, so far no protein & bp seems to be stabliized, w/ a couple spikes when I get anxious a/b it. All I hear from people is 'stay positive', 'don't worry a/b it' but it's so hard when you have 2 other kiddos (5 yr old, perfect pg & delivery) to worry a/b, even going on bedrest or being admitted to hospital.

Any one else been thru this or going thru?? I hate to get on meds now... Any advice/encouragement would help!

Shannon

Return to “Pregnant Again?”