Does size of belly matter?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
Aidensmommy212

Re: Does size of belly matter?

Postby Aidensmommy212 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 03:24 pm

I'm definitely interested in the responses to this one. I started out my pregnancy at an average weight and then throughout my pregnancy I was losing weight (I was down 8 lbs from my starting weight when I delivered). I was 5 1/2 months pregnant but was barely showing at all (I had a TINY baby bump that you wouldn't even notice unless you were looking for it). At my 18 week ultrasound, Aiden was growing exactly on par with his gestational age, by the time I was 22 weeks along he was behind 2 weeks in growth and ended up having IUGR in the end. I doubt that his small size had anything to do with mine seeing that the difference between 15 oz and a 1.5 lbs is not a whole lot, but it was always in the back of my mind...
Nikki (28) & hubby Blaine (40)
Mommy to Aiden Blaine - 15 oz./10.5 in. w/ IUGR
Born 2/12/11 @ 24+1 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP
Lived 10 days, loved and missed more than words can say

princess purr

Postby princess purr » Fri Aug 05, 2011 02:21 am

My Goddaughter was just born on Sunday (pe free) it was a first pregnancy and the mom's belly never got really big. She hardly showed at all until she was about 5 months, and she is a thin girl. Baby was 6 pounds 12 oz, I have no idea how she fit in that tiny belly. I think some people just carry differently.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Aug 04, 2011 09:54 pm

Not necessarily, I don't think. I was enormous with Nicolas, and he was really small for 36 weeks. With Oliver, though, I was the smallest I'd ever been in pregnancy (I think I only gained around 15 lbs), and my belly stayed smaller longer than with the other two which goes against the logic that you show sooner with each pregnancy, for whatever reason). Once I hit 28 weeks or so, it seemed like I sat up in bed one morning to the biggest baby belly ever. It was huge, overnight. I think you're going to wake up one morning and wonder where that big belly came from! :) You have sooo many people pulling for you and your little one.
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Thu Aug 04, 2011 09:02 pm

Belly size is probably only related in that a lot of PE cases are associated with IUGR - smaller baby, smaller belly. Most women are going to have a bigger belly the second (third, fourth, etc.) time around because the uterus and skin is already stretched and has that muscle memory. And if they didn't have PE the next time or got it later or milder, then it might not have involved IUGR (or at least not until baby has already grown quite a bit).
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

jean

Does size of belly matter?

Postby jean » Thu Aug 04, 2011 08:33 pm

I look at photos of some of the ppl who did much better a second time around, and their bellies were MUCH bigger the second time they were pg. My belly might be ever so slightly bigger, but not much. (It got bigger a little faster than my last pg, but I'm not so sure that at this point in my pg it is any bigger than it was last time at this point). In your experiences, do bigger bellies = better outcome?
My baby is measuring on schedule...but my son measured on schedule too, and things didn't work out well with him. :cry:
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

Return to “Pregnant Again?”