steroid shots and lung maturity

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Re: steroid shots and lung maturity

Postby heather j » Tue Oct 11, 2011 08:16 pm

Typically speaking (with the caveat that hospital policy differs and patients' situations differ), most hospitals will schedule a repeat c-section at 39 weeks. I've had two 37 week deliveries, and both required an amnio. My MFM would've delivered at 39 weeks without an amnio. All that said, when you know meeting your baby hinges on the amnio, you'll be ready to go. Honestly, the *thought* of the amnio is far worse than the reality. With an experienced doctor and u/s tech, they are in and out, and it's nothing worse than a tight pinch.
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

jean

Postby jean » Tue Oct 11, 2011 05:41 pm

At what gestation do they NOT require an amnio? Must you be at 40wks?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

angieb

Postby angieb » Tue Oct 11, 2011 03:28 pm

Depends on the hospital/doctor and also probably your history...if you had a classical c-section than I doubt they'd make you at 37 weeks, if they are just delivering early for"just in case" than they usually do require it at least at the hospital I delivered at.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 02:13 pm

In a non emergency situation they want to make sure lungs are mature. Otherwise they could wait a few days and repeat the amnio or wait until 37 weeks (as long as mom and baby continue to be fine). Usually after 37 weeks they don't require an amnio but hospital policies vary. But yes, just additional "cooking time" usually means mature lungs.
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year

jean

Postby jean » Mon Oct 10, 2011 06:14 pm

Do you have to have an amnio if you deliver at 37 weeks? The thought of having one scares me...though I know a lot of ppl on here have had them and they were fine.
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

angieb

Postby angieb » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:28 am

Yes, time.

A good friend of mine had an unexplained stillbirth in her first pregnancy and so for her second pregnancy they wanted to induce her early and monitored her closely. She asked her doctor if she could have steroid shots so his lungs would be good to go, and the doctor said no that they shouldn't be necessary. So they tried the amnio towards the end of 36 weeks (like 36+6), and even brought her up to a hospital room to start inducing her because they really expected his lungs to be mature, they weren't and she was sent home and had to wait almost 2 more weeks because his results really weren't very good.(She failed the 1 hr but passed the 3 hr glucose test.)

I begged my MFM to give me the shots for "just in case" by 32 weeks. (I have noticed especially people that fail the 1 hour glucose screening and/or have GD tend to have slightly slower lung development from what I've read. And I had GD.) She agreed, and at 36+1 we did the amnio and his lungs were ready to go- good thing because my water broke that night. Next time I will probably skip the amnio and deliver at 37 weeks if they'll let me (since my water broke within 24 hours of the amnio being done I think they can make a good case to skip it since they really don't/didn't want me in labor after a classical c-section and that's what ended up happening.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

jean

steroid shots and lung maturity

Postby jean » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 am

I've read on here that a lot of you said that after 32 weeks they don't bother with steroid shots. But then I've also read that if you are delivered (non emergency) before 36 weeks they often do an amnio to check for lung maturity. My question is, why bother with the amnio if they would not do steroid shots at that point anyway? What could make the lungs more mature-just time?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”