? about amnios

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Re: ? about amnios

Postby heather j » Sun Oct 23, 2011 09:47 pm

Jean, the fetal lung maturity amnio really doesn't carry much risk. The amnios during early pregnancy are used for diagnostic purposes, and do carry a small risk of miscarriage due to the possibilty of breaking water prematurely or causing premature labor. I've had one with each pregnancy (flma), and the only risk associated with it is the very small possibility of contractions that cause labor to begin. You'll be monitored - usually for about an hour - in the office on the NST machine before you're sent home though to be sure everything is okay. I really haven't had an contractions associated with the amnios IME. I think the only reason it's considered a risk at that point is because the amnio potentially could indicate immature lungs and then contractions could cause a delivery anyway. I think that's probably unlikely to happen. You'll be monitored well during and after the amnio.
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

cmccaffrey

Re: ? about amnios

Postby cmccaffrey » Sun Oct 23, 2011 07:12 pm

I don't understand what you mean about having amnios earlier? I was told that there is a small chance of miscarriage for early amnios, but later on the only risk is that you might go into labor, which is not that big of a deal if they are trying to consider whether or not to deliver you at that time anyways. I have never heard of anyone losing their baby from a later amnio, but then again, most people I know who lost their babies didn't have amnios early or late. My doctor said that they will also do an amnio if I need to deliver around 36ish weeks, but if I need to deliver around 30 it's irrelevant to do one because the baby will need the NICU anyways. I guess the amnio is to help the doctor decide whether or not they can wait a week to deliver. Anyways, I too am curious about stats.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy

jean

? about amnios

Postby jean » Sun Oct 23, 2011 04:21 pm

I have known a number of ppl who had amnios early on in pg and ended up losing their baby. :( I know that it's common if delivering early to check for lung maturity with an amnio.
Is it more likely to loose your baby/have probs if you have an amnio early on vs having one later? If my ob asks me to do an amnio to deliver early I am nervous about it. Anyone know the odds of complications resulting from having an amnio?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

Return to “Pregnant Again?”