Sugar in urine-help, what CAN I eat???

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
jean

Re: Sugar in urine-help, what CAN I eat???

Postby jean » Mon Oct 31, 2011 06:43 pm

Is the "fat/sugar free" cool whip safe to eat when pg and trying to cut carbs?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 02:53 pm

It is important that you keep track of how many calories you are eating so that the baby is getting enough calories as well. I would write everything down in my food journal that I knew the baby was getting enough calories. You can always make an appointment with a dietian to help you. You need an extra 300 calories per day for the baby. So you need to know how many calories you should have a day and that is according to your bmi...I am sure you can look it up.
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09

jean

Postby jean » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:21 am

I have cut back (a lot) and because of doing so, I lost 3 IBS in 3 days-EEK! Cutting back has made me feel very hungry, and I feel like I'm dieting. :~( I haven't been officially diagnosed with GD, but they just told me to cut back...so this morning I was feeling dissatisfied with it all and called to see how exteme this needs to be for me. They told me I was measuring 100 for sugar in my urine sample (does anyone know what that means or how bad that is? I don't know about urine sample numbers). She said I should not be extreme, like going out and buying new bread or anything like that..she said I should just try to have less of what I would normally have. (Like if I usually have a sandwich with 2 slices of bread, then cut it back to 1). I forsee myself losing a TON of weight eating like this, and worry that it will affect the baby. Is this truly ok? (I mean, the nurse says it is, but is this something that anyone else has dealt with as well?) I don't want to be starving myself or my baby! I am eating more often now, and different things, but the calorie/fat content is way less this way..
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 02:59 pm

Splenda is supposed to be safe for pregnant women, but you should do your own research of course. I mean you can still have regular sugar, but you really have to measure everything when you have gest diabetes.

jean

Postby jean » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:58 am

I read some other posts on here from ppl who also had sugar in urine but never tested positive for GD. *sigh* This just really sux.
So even a small amount of juice isn't good in the morning? Is milk ok then?
Also, you mentioned sugar free desserts...do you have to watch the ingredients..like if they have splenda or saccharin or anything like that..what is ok and what do you stay away from?

ktsl123

Postby ktsl123 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 00:26 am

Lol I cried too when I found out. For breakfast it was 25-carbs at 8am, snack 25-carbs 10am, lunch 50-carbs at 12pm, snack 25-carbs at 2pm, another snack 25-carbs 4pm, then dinner 50-carbs at 6pm, then after dinner snack-25 carbs at 8pm. I ate every 2 hours so I was never hungry. So that list up there was every 2 hours during the day. You have to eat carbs to survive...lol If your body can't maintain a good enough blood sugar on just a diabtetes diet then you may have to do insulin.

I ate a lot of quesadillas, I would make all variations, with Beans, meat, cheese, vegetables, chicken, lettuce, tomotes, I would change it up to keep it interesting, but it was always filling enough and they are easy to make. Protein is important because it makes you feel full.

Greek yogurt for breakfast should keep you full since it has lots of protein, half a peanut butter and jelly sand for a snack, you can eat a ton of kfc chicken! that shouldn't make your sugar spike,if you are getting fast food, you can eat sugar free desserts, for dinners you should feel full after eating some type of meat, a small amount of carbs like pasta or rice or whatever and then some veggies, then you still need to have your after dinner snack 2 hours later...

You will need to do some label reading and see a dietician. It is not as bad as it sounds and then best part is when you have your child it will be easier to get back to your regualr size.

angieb

Postby angieb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:38 pm

My MFM's office also had a dietition/diabetes educator as part of their staff...the class was the same cost as a visit copay for me and the rest of the stuff they did was free. I had GD and never had sugar in your urine, so I would definitely be concerned about that.

I ate a lot of salads, cottage cheese, cheese sticks, etc.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:11 pm

My MFM's office had in-house dietitians/diabetes educators; maybe yours does as well? I failed the one-hour test, passed the three-hour test by two points on one blood draw, then passed the three-hour again when my doctor had me retake it. My BFF has PCOS and has pre-diabetes; she also developed GD with her twins and was insulin dependent. During my GD drama, she sent me some meal ideas that included things like cheeses, beans, peanut butter, high fiber foods, eggs, etc. Juice, fruits, and cereals are usually not a very good idea. We have quite a few members who could really give you some great ideas, so I hope they pop in and help you out! Also, hoping all checks out and GD stays far away!
Heather (PAI-1 4G/4G) mama to:
Nicolas Edison (6/2004) 36 weeks, PE, HELLP, and placental abruption
Ella Amelia (3/2007) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Oliver Lyon (1/2011) 37 weeks, lovenox, PE-free
Milo Mason (2/2014) 39 weeks PE-free

jean

Sugar in urine-help, what CAN I eat???

Postby jean » Tue Oct 25, 2011 06:23 pm

I had sugar in my urine today and though I passed my 3 hr GD test earlier, now my doc says I may be developing it. We're going to test the urine again next week to see if there's any change. They said to reduce the # of carbs I eat for now.
I was looking online, and it seems like there's nothing I CAN eat except for meat!!! I'm a snacker, and eat a fair amount of food...I just started crying, saying there's nothing I can eat! I don't want to lose weight-I need to keep it all up for the baby's sake~and I don't want to get sick of eating only meat all of the time (plus a veggie or two here and there..) I know this would better to ask a dietician or nutritionist, and we may be sent to one of those next (?), but our bills are already going to be horrific enough with paying the peri and ob........
I just feel devastated. :~(

Return to “Pregnant Again?”