Baby Luke Update...What a Ride

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
[email protected]

Re: Baby Luke Update...What a Ride

Postby [email protected] » Wed Nov 16, 2011 09:46 pm

Awwww he is so so beautiful! I was wondering where you have been and how you all are doing. Ugh ,I'm so sorry you guys had to go through all of this with his tummy! I am just glad they caught it and things seem to finally be calming down and getting better.I know how scary the nicu can be. I am happy you are home and he is healing. Much love to you! Keep us posted on his healing and keep the pictures coming when you can they make me smile and give me courage and hope! :) xoxo
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013

riehlism

Baby Luke Update...What a Ride

Postby riehlism » Wed Nov 16, 2011 06:19 pm

Hi everyone! Sorry I have been MIA for a while. In my last posted I talked about his delivery and posted some pictures. Within 5 minutes of posting that all was well, we found out he had to be admitted to the NICU for a possible bowel obstruction. Long story short, he had to have surgery at 3 days old from meconium ileus (stuck meconium in his intestines). He was in the NICU for about 2 weeks. He was home for a few days when he started vomiting. He had to be admitted again, but this time from a bad E. Coli UTI (apparently common in uncircumcised babies). Then this week he started vomiting again and had to be admitted overnight for observation. He had dilated bowels, but they think it's because he's eating so much so fast, and his intestines aren't as efficient yet. He is home with us now and doing well. We just have to continue to watch for an ileus (An ileus itself means slow moving or low motility). It's something that can happen after intestinal surgery up to 6 months that typically gets better.

The poor baby is one month old and spent 3 weeks of that in the hospital. He was 37+1 and weighed 5lb 9 oz. He was on the small side and they think the bowel obstruction is why he ended up smaller. Now he's a little over 8 pounds. This little guy is playing catch up. No preeclampsia or HELLP, but something completely different and unrelated caused some hiccups and scares.

The only issues I have are feeding. I can't breast feed because he got too used to the bottle while in the hospital. But since he had GI issues where his feeds had to be measured, the bottle was unavoidable. Now I'm having milk supply issues as well. But I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's a tolerable situation.

Here are some recent pictures of Baby Luke:

Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192

Return to “Pregnant Again?”