Unmedicated birth still possible? PLEASE READ!!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
angieb

Re: Unmedicated birth still possible? PLEASE READ!!

Postby angieb » Thu Apr 04, 639269 7:39 pm

I'm not a doc but I seriously doubt you'll be allowed out of bed once/if mag is started. Fingers crossed that you won't need it!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

babycangel

Postby babycangel » Sat Mar 23, 639269 4:50 pm

I felt exactly like you. I was determined to have my last birth be unmedicated. I ended up on bedrest for 9 weeks and was induced with pitocin at 35 weeks. Right from the get-go I was warned not to expect a quick birth, I was induced with my first 2 and labors were 5.5 hours total with 3 pushes each time. I had pretty severe pre-e this time so I was on magnesium. I was already 2-3 cm dilated.

I labored unmedicated for about 10 hours at which point I gave in to an epidural because I was just so exhausted and out of it from the magnesium. If I had had a better idea of how close I was to giving birth I probably would have continued to try to go without because the pain wasn't unbearable, it was just the thought of having to continue without any sleep.

In the end I am glad I got the epidural although my BP crashed when they were trying to put it in. I vomited like crazy and they had to poke me several times because I couldn't sit still. They could only give me a little bit of the pain meds because my BP was too low. I pushed my daughter out in two pushes and she ended up developing respiratory distress from the rapid delivery. Givent that I had to stay on the magnesium for another 24 hrs post birth I should probably have gotten an epidural earlier since I was so drowsy and not able to get up on my own anyway!

It's definitely doable, but the more severe the preeclampsia is, the earlier the birth, the harder it might be, so definitely don't beat yourself up if you get an epidural. I wasn't allowed out of bed the minute they started the magnesium anyway.

Teresa1234

Postby Teresa1234 » Sat Mar 23, 639269 2:15 am

HI Blyth! As always you have been very helpful! It is very inspiring to know that you have had 3 unmedicated deliveries. Congrats on that accomplishment! Did you use birth hypnosis? Did you take a class? Do you have suggestions as to where I can find info? I took an 8 week course in lamaze during my last pregnancy...but that doesn't really do me a lot of good if I am not able to get out of bed.

I had no idea that you are not able to use the tub if pitocin is introduced. WHY? I dread the mag...it's just so awful and it makes it so hard to function. I nurse my children, so it also makes my newborn drowsy. Anyways, thank you again very much for your reply, as always. If you have suggestions on the hypno birth, I would very much appreciate it!

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Mar 13, 639269 1:13 am

Healthy mom and baby is key, but with a lot of compromise I have had three births without pain medicine. It takes a flexible care provider and a lot of luck - if your bp goes up with activity you'll be in bed, if your bp is too high or you have other symptoms you'll have mag, if you are induced with pitocin you'll be restricted from the tub, etc - but it's still possible! I'd basically suggest looking into birth hypnosis or other pain management techniques that you can do from bed...

Our experts tell us that women with chronic hypertension have a 25% chance of developing superimposed PE, so you aren't guaranteed to get sick. I think it's fair to hope and prepare for a natural birth, while keeping in mind that women with our history aren't low-risk, so we have to be more flexible and cautious with our birth hopes. Good luck!!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

Teresa1234

Unmedicated birth still possible? PLEASE READ!!

Postby Teresa1234 » Tue Mar 12, 639269 1:56 pm

Hello ladies. I hope everyone is doing well. I'm 17 weeks along and this is my 4th and final pregnancy. I delivered my last child at 37 weeks due to pre e. I was diagnosed at the beginning of this pregnancy with chronic hypertension. I am doing all that I can to prevent pre e this time, but I do know that sometimes it can't be stopped.

Anyways, because this is my last pregnancy, I would really like to experience a natural unmedicated childbirth. I have had vaginal deliveries with all 3 of my children. My labor is fairly quick and my pushing stage is extremly quick (less than 10 mins everytime). I know from experience with my last labor and delivery with pre e, that I will probably be on bedrest if the pre e developes and i will probably also be on mag sulfate. During my last pregnancy, I got the epidural so I obviously couldn't get out of bed.

I'm wondering though...even if my blood pressure does spike and I have to be put on the mag...is it still possible for me to get out of bed and move around a little? Use the birthing ball and tub? Of course, the main goal is healthy mom and baby, but if I could have a natural birth, that would be wonderful. Can I get out of bed if my blood pressure is up???

I'm going to talk to my OB about this during my next appointment but I just wanted to get opinions from all of you.... THANKS!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”