Chronic Hypertension???

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
alexis
Forum Moderator

Re: Chronic Hypertension???

Postby alexis » Thu Nov 10, 639560 1:35 pm

With my first pregnancy, my BP rose before I started spilling protein. In hindsight, that should have been a red flag for my OB--I had preexisting HTN (140/95 in my first trimester... 6-7 weeks I think?) But yes, BP can rise first, but it's not PE till you have proteinuria as well. That doesn't mean it's not concerning; it should be followed carefully.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Thu Nov 10, 639560 5:18 am

you could certainly start out with just BP issues and then have the protein come along later. but a PE diagnosis will have to have both. PIH (pregnancy-induced hypertension or gestational hypertension) is high BP with no protein. I feel like that one can be a bit trickier to diagnose, but that is simply my opinion and experience. However, I did have PE symptoms with my BP issues (probably PIH, but not diagnosed). It's just those crazy symptoms that also fit nicely into the Pregnancy Symptoms category - easy to overlook by doctors and patients alike!

The best thing is - you are aware of what is going on! And you're going to be more vigilant (and proactive) about your care because of your (unfortunate) history.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

kirkfamilyof5

Postby kirkfamilyof5 » Thu Nov 10, 639560 2:17 am

Thanks girls.

Well I went to the doctor yesterday and my blood pressure was really high again. They put me on bedrest and I go back on Friday to see the doctor since yesterdays visit was just an ultrasound and bp check. I turned in my 24 hour urine and called back this morning and they said everything was normal with all of my tests. It seemed like this is how it started with my daughter...but can't really remember.
Could this be preeclampsia starting? Or what could be going on? I know that preeclampsia is diagnosed by high bp and protein in urine but does it ever start with just high bp?

alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby alexis » Wed Nov 09, 639560 6:20 pm

Yes, we are, though the preeclampsia link has a ton of confounders (PCOS women have higher rates of obesity and HTN). We also have insulin issues, hence the GDM.

I have PCOS and chronic hypertension (medicated full time) but I did escape GDM both times.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!

kirkfamilyof5

Postby kirkfamilyof5 » Sat Oct 29, 639560 3:45 am

They only seemed concerned about anything above 140/90. I mean the other doctors I have seen all seemed very proactive in my treatment, so maybe after today's visit I can schedule an appointment with another doctor and they can tell me more.
I meant to ask also if any of you also have PCOS? It seems like women with PCOS are at greater risk for preeclampsia and gestational diabetes?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Oct 29, 639560 1:50 am

Having both is pretty common around here. Both have something to do with a weird placenta that isn't implanted normally/ able to dial down maternal immunity normally/ getting what it wants, so it alters the maternal metabolism to suit itself.

In good news, they know stress doesn't contribute to preeclampsia, even if it can spike your pressures a little bit, so don't worry that your stress is contributing.

Will they give you call-in numbers for your bp? It would be nice to have a "worry threshold"!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

kirkfamilyof5

Postby kirkfamilyof5 » Fri Oct 28, 639560 5:03 pm

Amjon-WOW I am so sorry! That is what scares me, we know our bodies better than doctors do and it's hard when they tell you you're "fine", especially when you don't feel that way.

Thanks girls. I won't see a doctor today. I just get an ultrasound, have my bp checked by the nurse and turn in my 24 hr urine. My bp has been kind of all over the place this weekend. I have a lot of stress on me which I know doesn't help.
I got the call on Friday that I failed my 1 hr GTT so I have to go back and take the 3 hr. Not sure why they are even making me do the 3 hr since I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy as well as severe preeclampsia. Did any of you have both preeclampsia and gestational diabetes?

amjon

Postby amjon » Wed Oct 05, 639560 4:01 pm

I only had pressure around 140/90 and was sent to get checked out. The hospital told me I was fine and sent me home. 4 days later she died. My BP before that had actually been low for me. Now I am having to take meds starting about 10 weeks PP.
ImageImage

aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Sun Sep 25, 639560 3:35 am

Will you see a doctor that you can ask about it on Monday with your growth scan? I would definitely ask to not see him again if you feel uncomfortable with him and they way he handles your treatment. You don't need that added stress :)
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

kirkfamilyof5

Postby kirkfamilyof5 » Sat Sep 24, 639560 12:31 am

Thank you so much for the reply!

I am 26 weeks and my blood pressure has been really great up until the past few days. You are right though it is a big jump so I guess all I can do is wait and see. The dr I saw yesterday wasn't one I had seen before, the other doctors seemed really proactive about my blood pressure and were very helpful besides him so I will just ask to not see him again I guess.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”