morning sickness and PE?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

morning sickness and PE?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Tue May 01, 2007 11:15 pm

Question: Have there been any links made between morning sickness and PE?

I have had two Severe PE pregnancies. Both of witch I have had very severe morning sickness. My Pre preg weight was 103 for my first preg. By five months I had lost 21 pounds and was down to 82 pounds. The all day sickness stopped about 24 weeks. I then was able to gain all the weight back and I went in to the hospital at 33 weeks weighing 111. 3 ½ days later I had been induced and was weighed in at 144, and didn’t include the three pounds of baby and everything else that comes out at that time.

My second pregnancy I lost about 10 pds, and went in to the hospital at 23 weeks at my pre preg weight. I again started swelling really bad. I don’t know my final weight for this preg, but the first day in the hospital I gained 9 pounds overnight.

Does having morning sickness effect PE at all, or could it contribute to it? Just the stress of the morning sickness? Could my yo yo weight gain and losses effected the PE, or maybe make it worse.

PS I was on Zofran, and reglan for both preg, but I usually couldn’t keep either one down long enough to work, When they did stay down, I really didn’t get any relief anyway.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : morning sickness and PE?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Tue May 01, 2007 11:16 pm

There is no clear connection with morning sickness and preeclampsia. There is a suggestion that high hCG is associated with preeclampsia, (not high enough to serve as a predictor of preeclampsia) and women with high hCG have more nausea.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts