hotel experiences

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
surefoott

Re : hotel experiences

Postby surefoott » Thu May 30, 638289 6:46 am

You are probably already gone, but I just wanted to comment about the suggestion to bring warm PJs since hotel rooms are cooler; that is such good advice!!! I even do that for myself! And that is something I always tried to remember for my kids. As babies, they frequently slept in warm sleepers in the hotel even in warm climates.
BTW, his picture is adorable!

mom29

Postby mom29 » Thu May 30, 638289 4:24 am

I'd get a few playtex bottles with the disposable liners so you have less bottle cleaning to do.

When we went to PA I took our Ergo carrier and didn't even use the stroller for sightseeing, it was so much easier getting around. Some new toys to keep your little guy occupied would be good. A weekend trip is a good length of time to try traveling with your little one. Oh, take some baby tylenol and other first aid items just in case you need them.

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Wed Feb 16, 638287 8:49 pm

We found that we took out the mattress from the crib/pack n play and just used that on the floor. We would put it into a corner so that 2 sides were wall and if they shifted over night it was just to the floor. You could bring your own mattress part which makes it much easier to travel with. Most hotels were accomodating for heating milk, etc and most rooms have at least a bar fridge so you can keep a little bit of milk there. Ask when you check in what they have available. If they have a restaurant in the hotel, they are often good about heating up things or ours were ok if you just turn the hot water on for a while and then put the bottle or food into the hot water to warm up - it takes longer, but you don't have to bring extra stuff. Also remember, you can buy more diapers, food, etc if you need it! You don't have to bring absolutely everything for everything.

Take the first trip and then you'll see it's not as daunting as you thought. We still kept to our routine when the twins were little and made sure they had nap at the time they should, and meals at similar times too. Traveling with them was always an adventure. I now travel quite regularly with all 3 and they're wonderful about the changes.

Good luck.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Wed Feb 16, 638287 11:37 am

We always brought our own pack and play. While Jaden never sleeps with us at home, he did at the hotel this Christmas, but not very well. The other three were great travelers. He just is not. He likes his own bed, his own room, his own toys.....kind of a pattern there. When we go camping, I usually end up sleeping with him in the truck, so he can be in his own car seat....But, it doesn't stop us from traveling with him. I just lowered my expectations a bit in the sleep department.

katevans

Postby katevans » Sun Feb 06, 638287 9:47 am

Jana,
When Tommy was 6 months we went on vacation. He slept in his Pack and Play. We live in Florida, and we vacationed in Florida, but my only suggestion would be to bring warm PJ's. Hotel rooms are generally cooler than your home. I brought a bottle brush and small dish soap so I could wash his bottles. I did over pack. Too many diapers, and too much baby food. But better to have too much than too little :) Have fun.

onesock

Postby onesock » Sat Feb 05, 638287 7:47 pm

Wish I had some advice, but ours always ended up with us too. Hope you have a fun trip :)

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Sat Feb 05, 638287 11:50 am

we took our own pack and play for him to sleep in and the best situation was suite with a kitchen, full fridge, and living room......thank god for that fridge! i heard horrror stories about hotel cribs, so take some sanitizer wipes and wipe it down! we took plug covers since emerson was just kind of getting crawling, we had horrid luck with him sleeping though, i spent one night up with him and ended up bathing him in the kitchen sink at 1am.....he was never a good sleeper though! we drove in our car so we had the luxury of taking too much! be sure to take your same bath stuff, we also took his swim suit, baby float and we put him with us in the hotel pool.....granted it was spring in southern california....do not forget any teething items you are using and bath stuff! we have done a few one nighters for my husbands business, all driving distance, and having more than one room is very helpful! when we had to put the pack and play next to our bed in a small room it just was too cramped for him to not want to play/try to climb out! hope you have fun!

surefoott

Postby surefoott » Sat Feb 05, 638287 9:40 am

I think you'll do fine; babies are so adaptable. We traveled quite a bit when mine were liittle. I flew by myself with my first baby to Florida when she was 3 months old. I was nursing her exclusively so that was easy. Got a little more complex hauling 3 kids around, when the youngest was born, but everything always went amazingly well. My kids could fall asleep anywhere as long as Mommy was there, and yes, like the others have mentioned, whoever was the baby at the time usually ended up in bed with me. I actually only had one time when a hotel had a bad crib (the side wouldn't stay up and they had to bring another one) and that was going on a cross-country with my 2 daughters and my granddaughter when she was a baby. Good thing was that the hotel 'comped' the room because of that. But we didn't realize it till it was bedtime and we were putting her in it; so I would suggest you check the crib out good before you actually need it. I think you will find it is easier than you think it will be. I hope you have fun!!!

jana m

Postby jana m » Sat Feb 05, 638287 8:47 am

Since this is part business for DH, we were able to get a 2 room suite. This way we can have xander is a separate room and we don't have to tip-toe around before bed. He has never slept in bed with us, so I"m not sure how that would go. I am a little overwhelmed by all of the "stuff" I may need to lug, but we'll see.

The good news is we are going to be less than 2 hours from home, so if the first night is horrible, we'll leave the next afternoon.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sat Feb 05, 638287 6:47 am

Avery always ended up sleeping in bed with us too. ;-) Take those microwave steam bags along to clean bottle and nipples, spoons and whatever else. Not that he necessarily needs them sanitized, but it's an easy way to clean those things when away. It's better than hauling along the bottle brush,etc..
Bring lots of snacks too! Avery always thinks it's a blast.

Return to “Misc”